Unbalanced in trot

Tilly676

New User
Visit site
My loan horse is a 16 Yr old gypsy trotter mare, 14.3hh, she was trained as a trotter but its been 10 years since, she's still super fast but she seems unbalanced in trot and tends to stumble a lot. Not sure if this is just to do with her training and unsure about it because she was taken away from it when she was 6. Wondering if anyone has any tips on how to help her with balance? This is stopping me from being able to canter her as we need to balance her in trot first!

paddi22

Visit site
You kind of need to go back to basics and teach her how to balance and find her balance under a rider. she also needs to learn a strong half halt so you can stop the rushing and help regulate her rhythm. this can be a long process and it is quite difficult unless you are used to schooling these horses, so my advice would be to get a good dressage teacher or if you have the cash pay a pro rider to do some work with her. it will save you a ton of time trying to figure it out yourself and will really help her :)

If you can't do either of those things then a lot of raised pole work in walk and trot will teach her to balance more. and tons of proper transitions. if you google websites like listening tothehorse.com you will find tons of pole work exercises you can try. teaching them to balance can be really tricky! but my advice would be get a good dressage instructor and see what they say.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
My loan horse is a 16 Yr old gypsy trotter mare, 14.3hh, she was trained as a trotter but its been 10 years since, she's still super fast but she seems unbalanced in trot and tends to stumble a lot. Not sure if this is just to do with her training and unsure about it because she was taken away from it when she was 6. Wondering if anyone has any tips on how to help her with balance? This is stopping me from being able to canter her as we need to balance her in trot first!
Is she definitely a trotter and never paces? Otherwise what Paddi said.