UNBELIEVABLE!!! RE- people who don't wrap their horses up 'cosy warm'

Temptation

Visit site
I agree though , I hate seeing over rugged horses it's horrible ... Having worked on a show yard I know exactly what it's like and it's horrible lookin at horses that are clearly very uncomfortable!
So I promise my pony is not in any way shape or form uncomftable or to hot.

Jackson

Visit site
Who wants to hate me?
Jack has had his thin fleece stable rug off from 1.00 today until 5.00. He's on box rest at the moment, and I was with him throughout this time and he was plenty warm enough. He went for his walk and graze and got groomed, and remained warm to touch and none of his hair was stuck up. He's a baby if he gets cold, and he definitely wasn't today.

Oh yes, it was freezing and he has a full clip that's beginning to grow out.:)

immybrookstud

Visit site
There is also a display of unclipped nakedness that, quite frankly, is bloody cruel and ignorant in my book.
QUOTE]

dont come here then, have 30 living out at the moment, all with no RUGS! plently of natural shelter not that they use it, an ab-lib hay in round feeders. horses are not people! yes if you clip you need to replace what you take of with a rug.

better start rugging up all the cows too, they grow alot less coat than horses and left out in the fields too!

Temptation

Visit site
Well I don't hate you Jackson :) at the end of the day the majority of us all want what's best for our horses. And what we do with them to keep them happy and healthy is up to us. I no my horse is and I'm sure yours is to!

Tinseltoes

Visit site
Both my section A and coloured cobblet have rugs on at present.If cobblet damages his rug anymore he will be naked as I do not have a replacement as he wrecks rugs. Wont hurt him to be naked anyway,hes got a decent coat.

JessandCharlie

Visit site
Some humans feel the cold more than others, I guess the same can be said of horses. For example, I was wearing a very thin summer dress and thin tights today, no worries. Others are togged up to the nines!

(I'm yet to read the whole thread btw ;))

J&C

Moomin1

Visit site
It's now around -4 here, and I am about to go and muck out and bring the gee gee in. I will be wearing a jumper and a jacket, with a woolly hat. I don't have a body covered in hair (promise!!!) and I can definately say that I would be uncomfortable and FAR too hot if I had 3 jumpers and a duvet wrapped around me!!!

abitodd

www.musicfordressage.net
It's now around -4 here, and I am about to go and muck out and bring the gee gee in. I will be wearing a jumper and a jacket, with a woolly hat. I don't have a body covered in hair (promise!!!) and I can definately say that I would be uncomfortable and FAR too hot if I had 3 jumpers and a duvet wrapped around me!!!

I find that when I put loads of layers on,I become reluctant to move and am hunched and huddled against the cold,feeling miserable and getting colder,whereas if I just sling a jacket on and get on with things I warm up and stay warm......but then I am a human........So ignore me.:rolleyes:

madeleine1

Visit site
There is nothing wrong with horses living out without rugs. Properly managed, horses live perfectly well un-rugged.

I don't agree with piling on rugs. My horses have a high trace clip and unless it is madly cold, they wear one rug at a time, it is the right rug for the prevailing conditions. You try wearing a T-shirt, a jumper, a waistcoat, another jacket and a second jacket on top and see how comfortable you are ?

If there are horses out on your yard with no rug, that have a lot of their body hair clipped, you should have word with the owner.

i am today wearing 1 strappy top, one t shire and one long sleeved t shirt, a cardigen, a jumper, a body warmer and then a coat.
i would rather be warm and its not that uncomfortable. my mare is in one rug in the day and a differant one at night but i do have a spare turnout that will be added when it gets to minus.

mymare

Visit site
I have worn my thermal nipple tassles and matching thong today. Was quite parky, but if I did a dozen star jumps every now and then I was ok.

LauraWheeler

Visit site
I havn't read the whole thread but just wanted to say.......

Both my boys are out 24/7 naked :eek:
I know i'm the crulest person alive quickly someone call the rspca :rolleyes:

Both my boys are forest bred foresters and I live in the new forest. If they were still running on the forest they wouldn't have rugs on. Infact Merryns mum is still out there somewhere. She won't have a rug on.

I do agree some horses do need to be rug weather clipped or not. But I'm always being told i'm crule for leaving my boys naked all the time. :rolleyes:

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
Slightly off topic but until this thread I don't think I had ever heard of horses wearing more than one rug at any one time when rugged :eek::confused: clearly I have been mixing with the wrong sort

God help my future horses if I treat them like me as I am always to hot even when I layer up because it is -15 odd I sleep with the window open and all radiators turned off even in the depth of the winter and take cold showers ;) but I will not tell you what I am wearing :p

Last edited:

indie999

Visit site
Honestly, today is MINUS ... yes thats right.... MINUS 3 where I am and there is a clipped horse with no rug on out in the field.
Does depend what clip or how you mean?

I think horses with rugs on can be just as bad on mild (especially PINK ones..that is cruel)

I dont care how natural you like your horses to be, would you shut your child/husband/hamster out in the cold, in the nude and spray them with cold water?? I DONT THINK SO!!!!
Sounds like quite a rude nude idea..........hamsters too!