Unbiased advice!

Megan_T

Visit site
Hello everyone!

I'm just after some unbiased advice from you lovely people :)

I have always, always wanted a dog but have never been lucky enough to have one. My husband had a lovely springer whilst growing up and they had a great relationship.

We have recently been given the chance to re home a dog who belongs to a friend of my parents. Henry is a Beagle, they've had him since he was a pup, he's now around 5 years old. We dog sitted for Henry on numerous occasions and he was an absolute star each time. Sadly, because of a family break up, Henry now needs a new home and myself and my husband now find ourselves in a house (and situation) where we could make it work (I think!)

They have said we could have a two week trial period just to see how we get on, then if he's unhappy or we find it too difficult, he can go back without being passed from pillar to post if we needed to say goodbye.

We have a 5 month old son. Henry has grown up with two boys who are now 5 and 3, so I'm confident of him around children.

I'm on maternity leave at the moment, but will go back part time in July. This would mean that Henry would be on his own for more than 4 hours for 10 days out of each month as my husband works shifts.

He's well used to being left as his current mummy works full time and he is sometimes visited during the day for a walk by her father in law. He would be being left less with us.

What is everyone's opinion? Do you think it sounds ok? I don't want him to be unhappy or one of those people. Who take on a dog without giving it proper thought. However, my heart usually rules my head.......

Much love xx

Morag4

Visit site
Are you prepared for the amount of exercise a beagle requires everyday? We had the best beagle ever I would have another in a heartbeat if I didn't already have 4 dogs! however, they do require a lot of exercise, well ours did, so that is definately a factor you should consider.

twiggy2

Visit site
sounds great, I agree with the excersize comment above but you have had looked after him before so may already be aware of that.
if the dog is used to being left and is ok with it then as long as you continue to have time when he is left during your maternity leave then it should be fine when you go back to work.

PorkChop

Visit site
Sounds perfect!

As someone who has taken on older dogs, I have found them to adjust to a new home surprisingly quickly.

You have obviously given this a fair amount of thought and your set up sounds fine.

All I would say is that I believe Beagles are escape artists and have the ability to cover fair distances if left to go hunting, so make sure your garden is secure!

Of course be sensible about time spent around your son, I would make provisions that you have somewhere safe to be able to put Henry when necessary. Also decide what you do and don't want him to be allowed to do, and insist on it from day one - ie getting on the sofa, going upstairs.

I hope it all works out and pictures would be lovely, Beagles are gorgeous.

Alec Swan

Visit site
There's no question that Beagles, being hounds, can be an absolute nightmare, but as it seems that you already know the dog, have confidence in your abilities with him, and have obviously considered every likely angle, then I'd say that if he's a mature dog, then what you can see is what you will get.

One word of advice; as LJR says, decide upon your boundaries from the outset. I'd add to that and suggest that what ever the temptation, don't allow him liberties during a 'settling in' period. Henry may well be an absolute saint. Henry may also have you pulling your hair out, so start as you mean to go on!

As it seems that you already know the dog, then I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

Alec.

weaselwords

Visit site
I think Henry is an incredibly lucky boy to find you. I took on two dogs from a colleague at work and found them very hard work to start with, but would never be without them. These active breeds do tend to mean that your life runs around them, but I needed more exercise! I often wonder what would have happened to them if I hadn't taken them on as we are the bitches third home. Good luck with it all.

Megan_T

Visit site
Thank you all. Really good comments and have some things to think about.

Henry thoroughly enjoys his exercise for sure! He's very good on and off the lead which is a blessing. At the moment, I walk around 5 miles a day with the little one, so hopefully that should be a good start then he'll probably go out again in the evenings.

We live in an MOD property so quite lucky that the garden is very secure, although I plan to give this a thorough checking over and testing during his two week trial period!

I had planned to put a baby gate between the kitchen and the hallway which would allow him the run off the kitchen and utility and out into the back garden when the back door is open. My plan was for him not to be allowed in any other part of the house. Mainly because this will allow my living room still to be safe for my baby boy now that he's enjoying rolling around on the floor etc, but also to set those boundaries. I know that in his current house he isn't allowed past the kitchen also.

Does that sound fair or too harsh? I'm glad someone mentioned about not being all gooey and soft during a "settling in period" as this was what I had planned to do as I didn't want to be too harsh with him being somewhere new. So, from day one (even during the trial) it should be starting the way we mean to go on?

satinbaze

Visit site
I would get him used to a crate, then he can view this as his safe place if he needs a break from children. Also as you are probably well aware NEVER leave dogs and children alone together.
Good luck I am sure things will work out well

twiggy2

Visit site
Thank you all. Really good comments and have some things to think about.

Henry thoroughly enjoys his exercise for sure! He's very good on and off the lead which is a blessing. At the moment, I walk around 5 miles a day with the little one, so hopefully that should be a good start then he'll probably go out again in the evenings.

We live in an MOD property so quite lucky that the garden is very secure, although I plan to give this a thorough checking over and testing during his two week trial period!

I had planned to put a baby gate between the kitchen and the hallway which would allow him the run off the kitchen and utility and out into the back garden when the back door is open. My plan was for him not to be allowed in any other part of the house. Mainly because this will allow my living room still to be safe for my baby boy now that he's enjoying rolling around on the floor etc, but also to set those boundaries. I know that in his current house he isn't allowed past the kitchen also.

Does that sound fair or too harsh? I'm glad someone mentioned about not being all gooey and soft during a "settling in period" as this was what I had planned to do as I didn't want to be too harsh with him being somewhere new. So, from day one (even during the trial) it should be starting the way we mean to go on?

my dogs were confined in the same way, kitchen and garden were baby gated off from the rest of the house, we used to let ours in to the living room in the evenings when the girls were in bed

Saneta

Visit site
I think that sounds great and like you've given it a lot of thought! Good luck if you decide to take Henry on and don't forget that pics are compulsory ;)
Absolutely. If only all potential dog owners were as thoughtful as you. The better weather is coming, so leaving the back door open will work well, or could you get a dog flap fitted? (If the MOD agree). Maybe get to know a local dog walker just in case you need help when the baby comes. Good Luck, though I don't think you'll need it!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
After two weeks, you're going to be in love with him, so the trial will sort of persuade you, surely? You sound like you know what you're doing but will your friends be wanting input if they still see him? He needs to be fully yours and not confused about who is his owner.

pippixox

Visit site
i took my dog on 'trial', knew within a day i would keep him!
i would say you must lay down the rules from day one. although he may be a bit confused or unsettled by the move, he is probably quite an intelligent dog and if you don't tell him the rules straight away he may take advantage! i actually think discipline keeps them calmer as they know what is expected, doesn't mean they will love you any less.
i would go for it- you know they are good with kids, can be left, and you are prepared to do lots of exercise... plus you already know they are a lovely dog

Megan_T

Visit site
I would get him used to a crate, then he can view this as his safe place if he needs a break from children. Also as you are probably well aware NEVER leave dogs and children alone together.
Good luck I am sure things will work out well

Ah yes, that is the plan. He is used to a crate at home anyway and always stayed in one when we dog-sitted for him. Luckily my Mum still has said crate in her garage :)

Megan_T

Visit site
Absolutely. If only all potential dog owners were as thoughtful as you. The better weather is coming, so leaving the back door open will work well, or could you get a dog flap fitted? (If the MOD agree). Maybe get to know a local dog walker just in case you need help when the baby comes. Good Luck, though I don't think you'll need it!

Thank you, that means a lot. The one thing I don't want to do, is take on the little guy on a permanent basis and then suddenly think "Oh, how am I going to do this?", to then discover "oh, I can't do this" and then end up as one of those people who give up the dog because they didn't think things through enough.

I've had a look at local dog walkers/trainers and there seems to be some good ones (one in particular I like the look of, which is one road away). I think we'd be fine to get a dog flap fitted, but would then have to remove it when we leave (humph) and, although I don't know much about dog flaps, I'm guessing that would mean replacing the entire door? Boo :(

Baby is already here :) and an absolute delight. Four months in and I've just about got the hang of it ;-)

Megan_T

Visit site
After two weeks, you're going to be in love with him, so the trial will sort of persuade you, surely? You sound like you know what you're doing but will your friends be wanting input if they still see him? He needs to be fully yours and not confused about who is his owner.

It's probably a good thing that they're actually friends with my parents really, rather than ourselves. So, although I'm sure they will enquire how he is doing through my Mum, I don't think they will want to visit him at any time. I've certainly not got that impression. Plus, I think it would be hard on her children if she were to do that.. I suspect she's after a clean break (all being well with the trial).

AmyHack

Visit site
I think the fact that you're even asking means that you are going to do a food job :) one thing I would say, from working at a vets is get it insured with a decent policy. Beagles tend to have a habit of getting themselves in trouble and racking up large vet bills!! Xx

Megan_T

Visit site
I think the fact that you're even asking means that you are going to do a food job :) one thing I would say, from working at a vets is get it insured with a decent policy. Beagles tend to have a habit of getting themselves in trouble and racking up large vet bills!! Xx

Haha, oh joy! You're not filling me with confidence ;)

Any advice on a decent insurance plan? or ones to stay away from?