UNDER HORSED!!!!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
It would depend on the build of the D.
When I worked in Mid Wales it wasn't unusual for a farmer who's land the hunt crossed to saddle up one of his ponies (sec D's) and follow the hunt dressed in his farm overalls and wellies. Several farmers did this and they must have weighed around 15 stone including the saddle. The cobs hunted all day and hacked happily home afterwards, sometimes 10 miles! They were reasonably fit as their daily job was shepherding on the hills and none ever looked anything but happy and willing to hunt.
Why are you asking, is this someone you think is too heavy for their horse? Does the horse look under stress?
I don't think you can catagorise weight limits, it will all depend on how the horse is built, it's fitness and how the rider rides. I have seen horses comfortably carry large weights but look completely uncomfortable under a rider who bounces about and rides "heavy".

burtie

Visit site
To all you saying 12 stone, unless this is a severely deformed section D with no bone that is a total joke, you've average 12 hand New forester is cabable of carrying 12 stone. A 14.3 D would be normally heavier than a forester and I would say should carry 15 stone easily IMO.

Madam_max

Visit site
I agree. I know a very large shepherd with a NF stallion and it works all day. Still I don't really think this is anyones business really.
smirk.gif

L

lilym

well said burtie! a proper welsh cob is just that A COB!! for god's sake people, these animals were bred for multi purpose use!! a good welsh d should have lots of bone and be capable of carrying 14 stones plus, these animals are workhorses, and it wasn't uncommon for them to pull a cart all week, work in the fields and go hunting on a sunday! what i really hate to see is welsh d's with no bone to speak of, to me that is poor breeding, moving away from the original type. all of our natives are bred for strength and versatility and we must keep this. when will people get over this weight thing??? don't get me wrong, i'm not advocating massively overweight people jumping on a horse and common sense should prevail, but just beacause someone is not a size 10 doesn't mean that they have no right to ride, that's why there are different types of horses out there, take hunters for instance, a TRUE hunter or cob must be able to carry a MINIMUM of 14 stones for a day's hunting....... i rest my case..... i have known many a heavier rider who rides beautifully and puts some of these skinnies to absolute shame.

pixiebee

Visit site
my 13.2hh new forest will take 14 stone happily and manages to jump 3.5 with that weight on him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my sisters welsh sec d will carry 15 stone for short periods but he is very unfit, if he was fitter then he's carry more. my yard owner must weigh about 13 stone and i saw him on on of the ponies who is only about 12.3hh and it seemed fine!!!!!! people underestimate what weight a pony/horse can take!!!

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
my hunter id x tb can only take 13 stone now or less because of her back problems - guess it depends on the history of the horse. a horse on our yard (welsh section d 15 hands) can take at least 14 stone.

MillionDollar

Visit site
Same here, my 2 13.2 NFs carry 14 stone easily, no problems at all. A 14.3 Welsh D would easily be able to carry 16-17 stone IMO, as long as the rider isn't a beginner. Some people are just so stuck on being too heavy for their horse- they re bloody strong!

allijudd

Visit site
i worry about that myself..with my 15.1hh dales but he carries me well..(you also cant see the saddle for my enormous arse!)....but he carries me well and we have done some long rides...he is also lightening up on the forehand and is now cantering without any probelms...

as hh says...it depends on the stature of the horse and the prowess of the rider on board.......i wouldnt make any rash judgements until i saw the person on board

sandie1

Visit site
hi im new!

well all thats made me feel a bit better, im currently looking for a new horse after having been away from horses ever since i sold my pony when i was a teen, i was thinking a 14.2 welsh cob as im bout 5 foot 2 an weigh 8 stone on a bad day,
dont really want anything much bigger an want a native so he can live out,

jemima

Visit site

(clickable link if you want to see it larger but it's not a good photo).

That's my small (13.3) Section D in our first ODE together! I'm well over 14 stone at that time and there's a combined age of over 60 (he's 18 - 21 yo) jumping that. He had a brilliant fun day out and thoroughly enjoyed himself. We were nowhere near being placed but we have come second in 2'9" XC and he was still raring to go. He will jump 1.05m SJ, again with me up, and go clear and fast as well!

I wouldn't normally expect to ride anything quite as small but it's such a waste of a fantastic pony if I don't. He's been badly abused in the past and he's with us for the rest of his life - he just LOVES to go out in the lorry and compete so I can't bear to retire him.

merlinsquest

Visit site
I bought a section c (13.1hh) for my kids and asked the vet if she thought I could ride him to keep him fit.... she said that he could prob carry 12 stone..... i am only 10 so thought i would be fine.

Considering your only small a sec d would be more than happy to carry you.