Under or over rug - where do you stand?

eggs

Visit site
I've been reading the threads on 'what rugs is your horse wearing' with interest and surprise.

I personally think it is best to slightly under rug than to slightly over rug but not sure if there is any scientific evidence of this.

Like some others on this forum I am old enough to remember when we only had jute rugs and woollen blankets so layering was essential when it got very cold.

I prefer to only use one heavyweight rug in the cold but will use a second rug if I think it is appropriate. I am fortunate to keep my horsesvat home so do a 10.30 late night check and have not had to put additional rugs on from when they get brought in at 5ish.

Flicker

Visit site
I agree that too cool is better than too hot. I tend to layer lighter rugs, but that's mainly because it is more practical for me to have a few lighter rugs than one heavy one.

xRobyn

Visit site
Under if they're out, if they're in it's a bit different as they can't move to keep themselves warm but over-rugging is no good at any time IMO

GinaGeo

Visit site
Definitely under rug, I can't imagine anything worse than being too hot and not being able to do anything about it.

Mine get plenty of hay and digesting fibre keeps them warm anyway.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Definitely under rug, I can't imagine anything worse than being too hot and not being able to do anything about it.

Mine get plenty of hay and digesting fibre keeps them warm anyway.

This /\/\

Over heating can cause real problems, and I would much rather them a little cooler than too hot and unable to do anything about it.
When we were keeping horses years ago you rarely saw a rug on a horse, most had none, it was the norm, all perfectly happy and healthy specimens I might add. Rugging seems to be the norm these days and I have to be honest I am not sure some people know how to rug appropriately :(
I prefer to give lots of hay because this acts as central heating for horses which I think some sometimes forget

eggs

Visit site
This /\/\

When we were keeping horses years ago you rarely saw a rug on a horse, most had none, it was the norm, all perfectly happy and healthy specimens I might add. Rugging seems to be the norm these days and I have to be honest I am not sure some people know how to rug appropriately :(
I prefer to give lots of hay because this acts as central heating for horses which I think some sometimes forget

Yes, this is my feeling too and the reason they get extra hay a 10.30 pm.

I am just surprised at ow many rugs some people seem to be putting on their horse.

Tinypony

Visit site
Mine live out 24/7 and I'm in the under-rugging camp. They have access to plenty of forage in the form of hay, once the grass is gone. The speed at which they can consume it is limited by using slow hay feeders which are working very well and have significantly reduced the amount of hay I am using as a bonus. I have almost decided to spend a fortune on Coolheat rugs for next year, a friend is raving about hers.

Milanesa

Visit site
Under rugging definitely. I use as little as possible and do not like using neck rugs on unclipped horses but that is just personal preference. I hate seeing horses in alot of rugs.

SillySausage

Visit site
I've always been in the under-rugging camp, however this year my horse has turned 20. Having had a virus I was advised to rug him up a bit more than I felt comfortable with, and the difference in him is amazing, so so much less stiff.

Still in the under-rugging camp over all .... but I also think there are other factors when deciding just how much to rug up individual horses.

Ali27

Visit site
I can't stand overrugging! Mine both have hunter clips and have only had their HWs on this last week and then for a few days in Dec when it was freezing! Mine are both good doers and always feel warm beneath their rugs! I would rather give them a little more haylage as I read somewhere that 80% of their warmth comes from food!

Moon Dancer

Visit site
I agree with sillysausage. Think it depends on the individual horse, what might be over rugging for one, may not be for another. I reckon i could put 6 rugs on my horse and he would not sweat. Saying that i dont put that many on him! But another horse may be hot with one or two on.

bumblelion

Visit site
I much prefer to under rug, horses can move about to keep warm but struggle to cool down over rugged. Iv got a slight rug addiction, so generally have a rug weight for all weathers without layering up etc!!