Under the weather after flu jab

Denbob

Visit site
As above really, beastie has been quiet and borderline ill-tempered at times since his flu jab yesterday morning - no swelling on his neck or stiffness at all which I've been advised about in the past. He's not been worked aside from a brief trot up to his field pals afterwards and I have no plans to do so until he's back to himself.

Aside from keeping him hydrated and encouraging him to eat any tips for helping this pass/making him feel more comfortable? Has anyone else experienced something like this?

Also if he's not showing obvious symptoms aside from a bit quiet is he a risk to other horses?

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Has he had a reaction before? My mare was under the weather for a few weeks after her 1st jab. I had her blood tested in the end too. Sometimes they can have a reaction to the agent carrying the vaccine. I would contact your vet as sometimes a number of horses react to a batch and that is reported back to the manufacturers.

I now give my mare a bute before and after jab as advised by vet.

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
I give Danilon to two of mine before and after flu jabs .
IME reactions are really common .
The worse horse I had a Finadyne jab on the day of the vaccination which sorted him .
I keep the horse quiet and warm with turnout usually they are back to nornmal in 48 hours .
If you work then while they aren’t right it makes them worse .

Denbob

Visit site
Thank you! This is his final one for getting back on track after I let them slip by 48 hours last year 🙄 will bear in mind bute for his next booster. Will also call the vet to let them know, although he did seem much brighter when I turned him out this morning and had made a better effort at his haynet and water overnight.

fairyclare

Visit site
My mare is always down for a about 5 days after her annual vaccinations, she has a Bute in the morning and another in the eve, she gets a stiff body part wherever she has been injected, we have tried neck, bum, chest, same reaction!
I give her the week off and just see how she goes regarding giving Bute.

Shay

Visit site
There was a "bad batch" circulating a few months ago in Surrey. If you google you might find the batch number but it got to the point several local vets withdrew the batch number; but I don't think the vaccine company issued a general recall. It might have made its way to your area?

It only provokes a poor reaction - nothing life threatening. Just annoying and worrying to the owner.

Denbob

Visit site
Thank for all your help and advice, beastie has brightened up and we're going to try a very gentle plod tomorrow.

jj_87

Visit site
the first year my mare had the flu jab alone she developed a temperature and a cough. Vet pet it down to the vaccine and treated with lots of rest and antibiotics. She hasn't suffered since.