Undersown Wheat Field - Grazing Query?

HBB

Visit site
We have just been offered an additional 5 acre grass let which has been undersown with wheat. The wheat will be cut in about 8 weeks or so, weather depending. Completely dumb question (sorry) but would it be suitable for grazing native ponies on once it has been combined and straw baled? It would just be a mixture of stubble and grass, I'm probably overthinking this, I just don't want to risk colic if there is excess grain left? I'm hoping the birds would take care of that? :redface3:
Thank you in advance x

Polos Mum

Visit site
A lot will depend on the quality of combine and bailer - worth having a look but I've seen some with lots left on the ground that natives might think is Christmas
Also a ploughed field isn't great for depth of going I'd have a good walk around and think about tendon strains, shoes pulled off etc if there were to have a good run around!

Goldenstar

Visit site
This land was half barley undersown with grass when we bought it .
After harvest we let the birds eat the left over grains then put the horse on it for a little while in autumn .
The next year it was topped and lightly grazed .

HBB

Visit site
Thank you for your replies, they are very much appreciated. The let is for 5 years to start with so I might ask for sheep to go on it at some point and then put the ponies on it next year.