Unethical breeding?

Louby

I havent read all your replies sorry but have just had a converstaion with my farrier about young horses and the fact I thought that maybe I should be doing a little more with her to build up her muscle as she intermittently gets locking stifle, shes 4. He basically said that in his opinion you get 2 types, those that are physically but not mentally capable and those that are mentally but not physically able, the first often end up with blown minds from doing too much and the second often broken by the time they are 10. My horse falls in the second catagory, so was backed in March as she was basically bored and has hacked lightly for the last couple of months. He thought my light hacking was perfect and that next yr she will be physically stronger to start properly. He said too many people are in such a rush, hunting, jumping and endless circles which often results in a shorter life/work span.

Last edited:

tristar

an irish farrier i know says in ireland if a mare does not compete well they, oh well i can still breed from her!

i think all breeds should be allowed to mature before working hard, and i believe many horses are are still growing and finishing up to nine years old.

then there is the way they are trained and ridden, done by a wally i would expect problems, done by a classically considerate experienced rider i`d expect the horse tp last longer

mule

an irish farrier i know says in ireland if a mare does not compete well they, oh well i can still breed from her!

i think all breeds should be allowed to mature before working hard, and i believe many horses are are still growing and finishing up to nine years old.

then there is the way they are trained and ridden, done by a wally i would expect problems, done by a classically considerate experienced rider i`d expect the horse tp last longer
You're right of course but some of it is just bad luck. Some of them also seem determined to damage themselves. I have the most accident prone horse imaginable. He's retired now because it's too difficult to keep him sound. He's going to be 17 next year and tbh I'm a bit surprised he's still here 😮 He's still galloping around the field with the other gelding and would be ok for hacking but anytime he sees something he disapproves of he teleports sideways 🙄 so I prefer hacking the sensible one. He is a very kind type and a very honest jumper. He would be perfect if he could stay sound.

Cortez

Yeah, you would expect that, but it ain't always so.