unexpected peeing in the house

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
Flodden, my bedlington is house trained, he is 3 years old, and an easy dog to have around............. however, this past couple of months he is driving me up the wall. He has started peeing in the house. And this is with the back door, patio door open, And within no more than about 10 feet of where he pees. I have found that if I leave him in my bedroom then he wont pee at all, so its not Seperation anxiety, and to be honest hes never suffered with that. Yesterday, I was working in the kitchen, he was wandering around outside, then came in through the patio doors and peed all over the radiator which was right by the doors. I let him out regularly, he is walked miles, he happily goes out for a pee when I tell him to. And will ask me to open the door for him, But it seems I cannot take my eyes off him downstairs or he pees up my new kitchen units, or the radiator, or the sofa! He has no infection clean bill of health. He is entire, and yesterday I did tell him that that was it............ the balls were coming off, but to be honest I really dont want to neuter him yet as I may show him again.

I can leave him happily in his crate, no problem, he holds his bladder happily for up to 12 hours............or more if he cant be bothered to get out of bed :)

And its not just marking.......... hes hosing the place down. And I swill off the areas he has peed with surgical spirit as that seems to be the only thing that gets rid of the smell.

I am renovating the house, but change doesnt bother him as I have been doing that ever since I got him, and he takes everything in his stride. I am now at the stage where I have to shut him in my bedroom when ever I leave the house, and hes fine with that, but I just cant leave him to wander round it when I am here, as he will pee downstairs.

Any suggestions please................ thank you :)

Bellasophia

Visit site
Gawd,how frustrating .....he's been a good lad up to now and now you have this....and these boys can pee a LOT at one time !
First thought was a uti,but you've ruled that out.
Do you have other dogs? is he marking over another scent?
Could the new scent of the furniture be setting him off? maybe polish all with a strong scented spray polish so it all smells the same?

SusieT

Visit site
I'd have the balls off asap. If it becomes a habit it will not be fixed by balls off so it will be too late.

Bosworth

As I said in the first post.......... I dont want to take his balls off yet, hes too well bred in too small a breed group to neuter unless I absolutely have to. I wondered if anyone had any other ideas about why he is doing it. why should he have started. No other dog in the house except my spayed bitch. He never marks in anyone elses house. And this is not marking, its peeing, gallons! The furniture is not new, only the kitchen units.

{97702}

Visit site
Ask Cayla :) :) It does sound very odd, I would have expected him to be drinking a lot more if he has the capacity to pee that much rather than just scent marking? Sorry, I am at a loss here which is no help to you at all :(

Bosworth

Hello Levrier :) have mailed the pishing queen but no response............. could you kick her please :) He is definitely not drinking more :(

I will have to take some more photos............... Ive been so tied up with renovating my house, I havent really taken many of him recently :) I will get some sorted.

D66

Visit site
Tie his lead to your belt when you are in the house so you can see what he's up to and take him outside every half an hour. Also put his bed/cage where he pees - apparently they don't like to pee near where they sleep.
Good Luck.

Gladioli

Visit site
I have found the only thing to get rid of the smell so the dogs wont pee in that place again is biological washing powder or liquid, I actually mix it up quite strongly and wash everything thoroughly. I did try other things that meant I could not smell the urine however this was the only thing that stopped certain areas being seen by her as her toilet. Don't know if it will help but it may be worth a try.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Weirdly, not sure if connected or just coincidence, but we have been fitting a new kitchen the last couple of weeks and one of our dogs has peed in the kitchen (doesn't usually) for no obvious reason. I wonder if there is a smell? Although he baby weed in the middle of the floor, he didn't pee against anything. Thank goodness!

Bosworth

Well Flodden has been 'dry ' for a week, and thats because I have not let him have free roam of the house. Its something to do with the kitchen I am absolutely sure. I had all the walls 'hardwalled' which has a really bad smell when its wet, and I wonder if that has caused him to pee up the wall, and then the new units have gone against thatwall, and although I cant smell it, he may still be able to. So I have been spraying surgical spirit over the washed walls and units. And keeping a close eye on him at all times. I think it became a habit, so I have to break it.

He is clear for CT Dobiegirl, but you are aboslutely correct, CT can be present in badly bred bedlingtons :( mind you today he is into pee storage................... he went to his bed at 7,30pm, So far today its 11.30 am he has not got up, despite me being up and about! He can sure as hell hold his bladder when he wants to!