Unexpected Solution

CharlyOscar

Visit site
I was at my BSJA Academy training yesterday and it was a new instructor from Wales (rosse, cant spell her name)

She asked me what my problem was with my pony, he puts his tongue over the bit, so she took off his flash which normally clamps his mouth together and the cavasen (so no noseband at all), put my bit up a few holes, and it was a miracle. We have been struggling for 2 years with his tongue.

Why couldnt I have seen her 2 years ago as at the end of 2009, so today is my last day in Juniors as he is 14.2 and I have to sell him =[

Just thought I would post this as not always the logical way of thinking works

Snowysadude

Visit site
Same here was having problems with my horse doin this... had almost exactly the same solution, took off the grackle, put on a cavison (loose) and put the bit up a few holes! Shame the person who told me to do this hadnt been on the yard earlier!

But its sad that you have to sell him, hope you have enjoyed the two years you have had with him
smile.gif

Charlie007

Visit site
Didn't have a tounge over the bit prob but my horse wouldn't go forwards properly. He used to buck in canter alot. My instructor took off my martingale and flash and all of a sudden I have a new horse!! Forward going and as of yet no real bucking (just the odd one to remind me to ride properly!!)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thank you for posting. I keep telling people that fastening the horse's mouth shut is rarely the answer. The best way forward is to find out why he is opening his mouth/getting tongue over bit etc. and make sure that he comfortable in his mouth. I wish that bridle manufacturers would STOP using flash nosebands as standard.

Tickles

Visit site
Harper_gal if you'd seen me you'd think the same thing... but actually I'm just too lazy to take the nose band off and put it on again afterwards everytime I ride my share horse. His owner does a lot more with him and does apparently find the flash helpful but with me he has never evaded/got tongue over the bit so I'd rather be without. Failing that I just do it super-loose.

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
I used a flash on my boy at that recommendation of someone who said they knew better. I had a horse that then head shook and did the spanish walk trying to get the sodding thing of, but oh no, they said he had to get used to it.

I had it off right after they left and put the bit back up to the hole I had it on to start with and he was fine - not the 'Joker' smile they said he had!

I don't use a nose band, because as far as I can tell...........they have no use what so ever unless your horse REALLY is trying to evade the bit - and if it is doing that then surely its the bit that's the problem........not the noseband?