Unexplainable smelly dog

franco

Visit site
My dog smells and we don’t know what it is
The vet cleared her glands last week but the smell is still there. He double checked them Today
It’s not her fur, ears, mouth or bum
It’s not wind
I can’t describe the smell, it’s bad but not terrible, it’s not like faeces either, but it lingers around the house. It’s not all the time( or maybe I’m used to it)
The vet didn’t know
Any ideas out there please!
(She’s a fit 9yr old sprocker that loves digging)
Thanks

fankino04

Visit site
Have the same issue with mine, it seems to come in wafts rather than be constant, is slightly fishy but also something else, had her glands checked and did a urine test but all fine, she's bright and happy in herself too....

franco

Visit site
Have the same issue with mine, it seems to come in wafts rather than be constant, is slightly fishy but also something else, had her glands checked and did a urine test but all fine, she's bright and happy in herself too....
Thanks, that’s a bit reassuring!

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
Dogs smell. It’s called Eau de Canine.😀 It might be that the emptying of the glands and it’s contents has not been thoroughly removed.

deb_l222

Visit site
Did your vet suggest a urine sample? When Willow was starting with the bladder crystals, I would just get a whiff of a smell but then nothing, then another whiff. It did eventually get VERY strong because I didn't know what I was looking for at that point. To be fair though, that was a very fishy smell. I've had to change her food now to stop the crystals forming and the smell has gone away but that's another story.

The other thing I though of was anal glands. They have a very distinctive smell all of their own. At least Rufus' do!!

tda

Visit site
Oh yes, we often joke that Willis, 12yr old PRT is rotting away from the inside, he smells pretty bad, had glands checked and teeth, all ok.
Doesn't seem to change with different food either so we just. put up with it 🙄

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
It's the yeast and bacteria that live on a dogs fur that causes the 'wet dog' smell which is apparent even after you have bathed them!
I think when you live with the smell all the time you might not notice it. I always asked my Mum if the house smells when she comes round for Sunday lunch as I know she'd be honest with me but she always says it doesnt.

OP Can you get some fabric spray and spray your curtains, carpets, throws? Wilco do a lovely one for £1.00 which is non aerosol and smells just like a delicate fabric softener.

Attachments

• fresh.jpg
    fresh.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 4

Aru

Visit site
Try washing in malaseb twice a week for two weeks in case it's skin long related...lather it up and get everywhere well soaked and leave on the full ten minutes....assuming feet ears teeth and anal glands have been already checked.plus if it's a spaniel check the facial folds by the lips...those can be nasty sometimes but are easy to miss if they are hairy.

twiggy2

Visit site
Allergies or intolerance can make them smell, people describe it as a yeasty smell but that's not how I smell it, it's just not nice.
Malaseb washing is a good shout as it will clear up anything that is residual.
If it continues I would look at trying an exclusion diet.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
I have 3 dogs, been feeding raw for 15 years, previous dogs neither the ones I have now smell and I ask everyone who comes in as I have no sense of smell if it smells doggy, no is the unanimous answer. Yet my sister's house always stinks to high heaven .I personally think it's the food, she feeds rubbish dry stuff and mine as I said are on raw.
Oz

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Ours won't eat dog food (other than those chubb rolls which we refuse to give him) so we feed packaged low fat/salt chopped ham/beef/turkey and chicken from Aldi & Farmfoods (and sometimes the ends of the meats from the deli counter) along with small gravy bones biscuits because that's all he will eat.

But he rarely if ever smells, the only time he does is if he's been out in the rain with that wet dog smell.

GSD Woman

Visit site
It could be a food intolerance, one of mine had that. Or, with the damp it might be a yeast infection starting on the skin. For that I've used apple cider vinegar as rinse when bathing one of mine.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Hector has clear discharge from his bum sometimes, even when the vet says his glands are clear.

Th vet says it is just the natural scent mechanism, and when Heck is stressed he lets loose with the clear stuff with the appearance and consistency of glycerine. The stink is very different though!

They said there is nothing 'wrong' with him. We just try to keep him happy and confident so it doesn't happen.

Nudibranch

Visit site
Our rough collie had a fairly unpleasant smell (and a lot of wind as well) until we switched her to raw. It was a sort of off chicken kind of stench! Now, no smell.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Have you checked it’s not the paws smelling?

Hi-jacking - sorry. My dogs paws often smell. Sort of rotting earthy. Only when she has just come in from outside but it seems worse than just a bit of wet dog. Do you know why? Or what I can do about it. I wash her paws a lot to try and get rid of it but it comes back as soon as she gets them wet outside again.