Ungrateful horrors

Esyllt

Visit site
I live in a tricky area, with national parks and interfering neighbours with regards to anything changing a vista. It's been a job to find a field shelter that wouldn't incur the wrath of national parks, whether it needed planning or not, and isn't a massive blot on the landscape so people mind their business. It's the large one from northern poly tunnels. Was hard work to assemble, as it was heavy and the horses insisted on helping. They were all over it when we built it, and are happy to be in it when I'm in there. Will they use it in the horrible weather we have today? No!!! They are kicking the sheep out of their windbreak to stand looking miserablely towards the gate. If I go in there, oh, no problem, we will stand and munch the hay! If I leave, back they go to that spot. Ungrateful creatures. I'm annoyed and stressed with work at the moment and this has got me irrationally mad!

Winters100

Visit site
Give it time. WHen I first put my shelter up none of them would go near it. Now my geldings head for the shelter at the first sign of drizzle, wheras my old mare, who is much tougher, and very much 'in charge' of the pack, happily stands outside whatever the weather!

Esyllt

Visit site
I know time is the answer, it's only been up since Saturday, but oh my days it is infuriating to see the pair of twits standing there looking like welfare cases when there is a nice new shelter! It's in the driest part of the field, positioned to save them from the worst of the prevailing weather... They are in the wettest part, standing right in the path of the weather! My other half is rubbing his hands together with glee, as he's hoping to pinch it to grow and shelter his boys toys collection 🙄

94lunagem

Visit site
Definitely ungrateful!!!!

Don’t despair yet though, mine rarely go in in bad weather. But come summer sun and flies and they’re in there all the time.

lynz88

Visit site
Ugh. Animals. As CC says, it is all about setting the lowest of low expectations. I think a lot of animals are like this tbh....I remember getting the cat a nice basket/bed to lay in because he loved laying in laundry baskets (with clean clothes of course), boxes, a weaved basket that offered zero comfort and he barely fit in, etc. Do you think the cat was happy for the new comfy basket/bed? Absolutely not....for a little while anyways. The box it came in was FAR better to lay in, apparently

Ratface

Visit site
Madam Carrie Cat has an extensive variety of places to put her pampered person. Different textures, heights, temperatures, hidey-holes, spy seats. The thankless creature insists on pinning me (literally - Ms. Claws!) to the bunk by heavily lying across my neck/chest/stomach/legs and head. If I remonstrate by shifting any part of my person or asking her to move, she produces her crampons (aka long, sharp, muscular claws) and clings on with increased determination.
If she's feeling less than usually athletic, she issues a stentorian demand (Yoooowl!!) for a lift up onto the bunk.
Of course, Madam. Immediately, Madam.
Cats rule.

Esyllt

Visit site
Little update... The Kray twins will stand in the field shelter when it's not windy, quite happily. I stood in it today with the wind blowing a hoolie to see what the issue is, and basically it sounds like that annoying wobbly board thing Rolf Harries used to do, so that'll be why! Can't say I blame them. So, happy husband now has a posh cover for his crap stuff, and I am back to the drawing board! Maybe a bigger version of the sheep's windbreaker 🤔

Annagain

Visit site
I had a nice field shelter at my last house & Trev used to prefer standing next to it, or in summer he'd stand with his head inside & the rest of his body outside! There was nothing whatsoever wrong with it. Bl**dy horses!
This reminds me of my old dog growing up. He had a dog flap and as he got older, if it was raining, he'd stick his head out of the flap and wee on the kitchen floor.