Unhandled Welsh D

Dawnoxbuck

New User
Visit site
Hello.....Help!
We have recently rescued a rising 4 (we believe) Welsh 14hh Gelding he has a lovely kind face and he has been with us for 2 weeks now. He is still in the head collar that he arrives in and we have been unable to change it as he is not happy about it. We have managed to clip him up and go on a little walkabout but he will not allow us to get hands on him. He has a lovely kind face and generally seems relaxed in stable and in the small paddock.
does anyone have any thoughts or exercises that we can do with him to be able to get our hands on? Or do we just need to give him more settling time?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Hello.....Help!
We have recently rescued a rising 4 (we believe) Welsh 14hh Gelding he has a lovely kind face and he has been with us for 2 weeks now. He is still in the head collar that he arrives in and we have been unable to change it as he is not happy about it. We have managed to clip him up and go on a little walkabout but he will not allow us to get hands on him. He has a lovely kind face and generally seems relaxed in stable and in the small paddock.
does anyone have any thoughts or exercises that we can do with him to be able to get our hands on? Or do we just need to give him more settling time?

This thread might be helpful. :) https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/unhandled-3-year-old-tips-what-would-you-be-doing.753379/

TPO

Visit site
"Rescued" or bought from a low end dealer? Does he have a passport?

How did he get loaded/travelled/unloaded? How did you get the headcollar on him?

Why did you take on an unhandled horse if you dont already know the initial steps to take? I'm constantly amazed by the threads on here asking this exact thing after "rescuing" an unhandled horse.

Presuming hes not strangles tested or vaccinated. Are there other horses in the yard?

Do you have safe access from stable to a secure school with high fences? Presuming you didnt take on an unhandled horse without having suitable facilities.

Do you have a trainer who is experienced with unhandled horses? The bottom line is if you have to ask "how" two weeks in then you arent experienced enough to have taken on an unhandled horse. Therefore you need boots on the ground that do so employ a GOOD trainer asap.

If you give your rough area I'm sure posters in that area can offer suggestions and recommendations.

Dawnoxbuck

New User
Visit site
Hello.....Help!
or do we
"Rescued" or bought from a low end dealer? Does he have a passport?

How did he get loaded/travelled/unloaded? How did you get the headcollar on him?

Why did you take on an unhandled horse if you dont already know the initial steps to take? I'm constantly amazed by the threads on here asking this exact thing after "rescuing" an unhandled horse.

Presuming hes not strangles tested or vaccinated. Are there other horses in the yard?

Do you have safe access from stable to a secure school with high fences? Presuming you didnt take on an unhandled horse without having suitable facilities.

Do you have a trainer who is experienced with unhandled horses? The bottom line is of you have to ask "how" two weeks in then you arent experienced enough to have taken on an unhandled horse. Therefore you need boots on the ground that do so employ a GOOD trainer asap.

If you give your rough area I'm sure posters in that area can offer suggestions and recommendations.
thank you! Yes bought from a low end dealer... we do have the horse at a livery with good knowledge of unhandled horses. He is currently being kept separately from other horses due being un-vetted. With respect to you... our intention are good we are just trying to get as much knowledge as we can so we can be part of his training. We are trying to give him a better life...is that a bad thing? We are grateful to experienced people like yourself for help and advise. Namaste

twiggy2

Visit site
Bought is not the same as rescued his place will be taken by another that someone will buy and give the dealer a good profit on.
That aside if you are at a yard where they have plenty of experience then speaking to someone and paying them to help you is the best thing to do. You need someone there in person who can read the horses body language so you learn when he is not coping or becoming overwhelmed by what you are presenting him with.
Good luck

Dawnoxbuck

New User
Visit site
Bought is not the same as rescued his place will be taken by another that someone will buy and give the dealer a good profit on.
That aside if you are at a yard where they have plenty of experience then speaking to someone and paying them to help you is the best thing to do. You need someone there in person who can read the horses body language so you learn when he is not coping or becoming overwhelmed by what you are presenting him with.
Good luck
Thank you I really appreciate your feedback ? I will do that....he is absolutely worth investing in...we are not looking to sell him on or make a profit...he’s in his forever home

JackFrost

Visit site
Agree what is said above, but moving on from that....

From my experience of working with an unhandled welsh gelding (younger than yours, and possibly more nervous) - give him time to settle and don't crowd him or try too hard to get into his space. Allow him to learn to trust you.

You will need to be able to get a headcollar on and off, so if he is being kind and polite, use little treats, maybe carrot pieces, probably best presented on the ground not from your hand, so he doesn;t associate your hands with food. Slowly get him used to your hands near his face, then accepting you touching him, touching the headcollar etc. Be very slow in your movements. Don't rush it, do little and often and always stop when he is happy and calm. Be quiet and unrushed. However anxious you are to make progress, don't push things.

He will learn from you when he is relaxed and happy, so watch his body language all the time. If you are not used to reading horses' body language, enlist the help of someone experienced. More little walkabouts are good too.

You will learn so much from working with him. Wishing you success. x

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I got a gypsy cob 2yo (white marks behind his ears as nobody had taken it off) practically putting his own headcollar on the other with 20 mins clicker training. The day before he wouldn’t be caught and had to be corralled to be caught again (in a small turnout paddock). Spend an hour looking at clicker training videos and you will solve it in 2 days

Sprig

Visit site
I would definitely buy Sarah Weston's 'No Fear, No Force' book that was recommended on the other thread. It has really helped me since my unhandled weanling arrived.