Unhelpful things in adverts

maxapple

Visit site
I know posts have been done before on annoying things in adverts (like people standing on the horse etc) ...

But what about unhelpful things in adverts - for example, when people are selling a horse that needs a quieter life, has a condition meaning it can no longer be jumped etc, why do they still put old pictures up of it eventing???

Spiritedly

Visit site
Saying it has showing potential then only putting on a head shot or that an ungelded colt has great stallion potential even though it's parentage is unknown and it's only 2 yrs old and done nothing :rolleyes:

.Redmerl

Visit site
I know this difficult. I hate the word potential. It seams to cover everything from yearlings to unschooled 15 year olds. " it's got potential' seams to translate into 'I don't school it but would like a buyer to pay top dollar'

Shantara

Visit site
Anything that says "Not novice ride" and doesn't explain what it does wrong. Or, if they say it's not for a novice, because, for example it's strong...how strong? Does it just need a bit more contact, or is it a case of 'head down, grab reins, tank off into the sunset' type thing?

I don't expect an essay, but just a tad more explanation.

Boxers

Visit site
Photos of the horse fully rugged up, you can't see a thing except their head and hooves!

One pony ad I saw for a BSJA pony, only had a pic of him fully rugged and laying down in the field - cute, but not at all useful!

Lolo

Visit site
Photos not relevant to the advert. If it's a child pony, gratuitous shot of child doing something with said pony is fine but one of the child riding would be nice as well. If it's not a child's pony, I don't want a photo of it with a tot balanced on it's back!

dixie

Visit site
Adverts telling you how great the parents are, but nothing about how the actual horse for sale is doing.

Puzzles

Visit site
I am sick of 'not novice ride' statements, too. For one, let the buyer decide if the horse is right for them based on actual information (i.e. how they are to hack, shoe etc). If the horse is strong or won't hack alone, say so. If he has a vice, say so. 'Not novice ride' is so vague and I think it puts off potential buyers for fear of being judged as not good enough for the horse. Buyers can be experienced but nervous or inexperienced but talented and competent - it's all so relative and subjective! Regardless of the potential buyer's experience or 'level of noviceness', it depends on the individual as they might, for example, be perfectly confident and capable handling a horse that is difficult to load or can be a little nappy, but nervous or inexperienced regarding a horse that is strong. So to me, it is a pointless and meaningless statement: the seller may as well say '5*/good home wanted' - which I think is a given anyway, it doesn't have to be stated! I can just imagine a potential buyer reading that statement and saying "oh no, our home is only 4* not 5*, we can't be good enough.." I mean, noone buys a horse without intending to give it a good home!

Last edited:

Luci07

Visit site
While it has been endlessly debated I personally steer well clear of "no timewasters". I can appreciate some may have a geniune reason for putting this but quite frankly I think it is rude.

I find ads that are missing the very basic info extremely annoying. By this I mean height, age and location. POA I can deal with. I also want clear shots of the horse and preferably a shot of the horse standing up untacked and square. Saves a lot of time.

However, have to say, having spoken to several people about ads at the moment have had a very good and honest response to my questions. One was wayyyy over budget so I would not waste the owners time (he still said I was welcome to look but we are talking half as much money again as my budget) One the owner felt was not good enough and one show sounds grand and we prob shall go and see - pending on pictures and putting together some other horses to see before we drive 4 hours to Cheshire!

flowerlady

Visit site
I am sick of 'not novice ride' statements, too. For one, let the buyer decide if the horse is right for them based on actual information (i.e. how they are to hack, shoe etc). If the horse is strong or won't hack alone, say so. If he has a vice, say so. 'Not novice ride' is so vague and I think it puts off potential buyers for fear of being judged as not good enough for the horse. Buyers can be experienced but nervous or inexperienced but talented and competent - it's all so relative and subjective! Regardless of the potential buyer's experience or 'level of noviceness', it depends on the individual as they might, for example, be perfectly confident and capable handling a horse that is difficult to load or can be a little nappy, but nervous or inexperienced regarding a horse that is strong. So to me, it is a pointless and meaningless statement: the seller may as well say '5*/good home wanted' - which I think is a given anyway, it doesn't have to be stated! I can just imagine a potential buyer reading that statement and saying "oh no, our home is only 4* not 5*, we can't be good enough.." I mean, noone buys a horse without intending to give it a good home!

I would have to disagree with 'Not novice ride'. Most people selling do not tell you the real reason selling or no one would want to even look at it. I have found most people become totally unable to be honest. Also not everyone who buys horses intends giving them a good home.:( They just want to make money on them (If thats possible these days in this climate).

But there are alot of good owners who really care. :)

flowerlady

Visit site
One that peeps used to use was 'manners to die for' :D:D This was also on a horse I went to view being sold by a blacksmith. The horse was in a stable I asked if he was alright for me to enter the stable? Yes he's fine!! The horse promptley turned his hind legs to me as I unbolted the door:eek: I bolted it again and let them get it out. Another quote was great around children??? They had a 5 year old that went to the back of the horse when standing in the yard and it kicked her:eek:. I let the blacksmith ride it on road and field then said sorry not really what I;m looking for and left.

Another horse 'Novice ride' When we got there the rider was ill so a friend was going to ride it 'experienced rider:rolleyes: Sellers OH gave her a leg up well half a leg up because before she managed to sit the horse took off on a full broncing session around the school. I had to catch the horse and said try telling the truth when selling good bye:mad:

Last edited:

Feathered

Visit site
Wasn't there an ad posted on here once that said something like "good christian gentleman" I mean wth?! Does it go to church on Sundays?!
Also "loves cuddles" bugs me...totally irrelevent.

Godknows

Visit site
Wasn't there an ad posted on here once that said something like "good christian gentleman" I mean wth?! Does it go to church on Sundays?!
Also "loves cuddles" bugs me...totally irrelevent.

Of course it goes to church and Says his prays every night before bed:p

Ladylina83

Visit site
Can you imagine and ad that read .... Can be strong when he puts his head down sets his neck and runs off into the sunset lol

I also don't get the Perfect horse very sad sale of family friend due to lack of time and space , would consider part exchange with the right horse ! Wtf

vickyb

Visit site
"First to see will buy" is one of my pet hates. Totally meaningless. I have recently seen an ad for a TB, described in glowing terms, but they go on to say they would consider exchange for another TB. If the first TB is so good why are they selling it? There is a lot of reading between the lines in ads!

Ibblebibble

Visit site
'5*/good home wanted' - which I think is a given anyway, it doesn't have to be stated! I can just imagine a potential buyer reading that statement and saying "oh no, our home is only 4* not 5*, we can't be good enough.."

lol, friend and i were saying exactly this the other day, really it's a pointless statement because the facilities may be 5* but the care severely lacking!! I'd rather sell to a loving 1* home:)