Unhousetrainable dog

Jools1234

Visit site
You quite obviously know more than those who kept and trained dogs, before either you or I, were born. ;)

The lightable end of a match, if it's inserted first, and with care, into a dog's rectum, will have the same affect as a dog which has straw which is working it's way through. It will encourage defecation.

Were you to listen to those who kept dogs, and probably before you were born, you may just learn.

Alec.

usually we agree on many things here and i am not debating that poking something up your dogs bum makes it poo (i would not know and dont feel the need to find out) but to hand that out as a suggestion on a forum to people who's dog knowledge you know nothing about seems very irresponsible to me

Jools1234

Visit site
Alec, It was on the tip of my tongue to say something similar, but why bother?

I can't imagine how the Australian dingoes manage without water available 24/7.:eek:

an australian dingo has more opportunity to control its body temperature by moving about in its enviroment (to shade/damp earth for example) than a dog thats is crated in an artificially heated house, also as a previous poster put they dont eat dry dog food so have less need for water to aid digestion. i would also imagine most of them do not live as long as domesticated dogs (maybe on occasion due to liver/kidney damage) and some probably die due to dehydration on occasion

HeatherAnn

Visit site
Putting stuff in your dog's bum? Withdrawing water after midday? Heard them all now :rolleyes:

OP, it can be done without insertion or withdrawal of water, but it will be harder as you're out a lot. We had our puppy house-trained in one week, in which time he had one rain related accident. I can guarantee nothing went in his bum and he has 24 hour access to water. It can be done.

Littlelegs

Visit site
As a different approach, how about a form of litter training? All my dogs have been very good, but the odd time one has been ill I've had a pile near the back door, & the same when they vomit. And a very apologetic dog as though they wanted to get out & couldn't. When my last terrier got old, she could no longer make it through the night without several wees. Having a young baby I wasn't mad keen on getting up to let her out every 3hrs. The solution was a large cat litter tray, as she hated weeing in the house too. Current dog had a very dodgy tum when young, as well as not being house trained. I used to leave paper near the back door, then as he got more regular I would let him out around 3am with newspaper in the garden & the command 'fire'. He was 2 before he could be relied on to go all night, every night. And that was partly cos it took that long for me to figure out chappie was the only thing he could eat regularly without 3am nature calls.

TGM

Visit site
I don't want to crate a dog forever I want him to be part of the family and my kitchen is just not big enough for a crate long term.

I really don't see how crating a dog overnight stops him from being part of the family! After all, lots of people put their babies in cots overnight and that doesn't stop them being part of the family! Think of the crate as a cot for your dog - somewhere safe and cosy which keeps him in one place where he can't get into mischief or trouble!

Remember this dog is still young and is not kept in the most conducive environment for consistent training, so a bit early to write him off as 'untrainable'!

Last edited:

quirky

Visit site
I really don't see how crating a dog overnight stops him from being part of the family! After all, lots of people put their babies in cots overnight and that doesn't stop them being part of the family! Think of the crate as a cot for your dog - somewhere safe and cosy which keeps him in one place where he can't get into mischief or trouble!

I am so glad I crate trained our IG. It means we can take him to dog friendly hotels/on holiday with us and we know he can be in his crate with his snuggle sac. It's certainly easier to put him in there than try and stop him doing wall of death round a hotel room :eek:
He doesn't have his crate at home more any more but was happy to go in it on holiday this year.

Alec Swan

Visit site
....... but to hand that out as a suggestion on a forum to people who's dog knowledge you know nothing about seems very irresponsible to me

Have you ever taken a dog's temperature, rectally? Is there a difference, apart from the fact that the match is left in place, for the dog to push out, itself??

It has obviously come as a surprise to many, but it is a perfectly acceptable method of encouraging a dog to defecate, and the reaction is generally near immediate, and successful.

Alec.

joop

Visit site
He was clean last night.
I am not slating crating I am just saying I don't want to crate him forever surely that is just masking the symptoms rather than fixing the problem? I didn't realise that 16 months was to young so thank u to the people who have explained he is still too young.

TGM

Visit site
He was clean last night.
That is good news!

I am not slating crating I am just saying I don't want to crate him forever surely that is just masking the symptoms rather than fixing the problem?

It does help to fix the problem, though, by encouraging a habit of only messing and wetting outside. The more they 'go' outside, and the less they 'go' inside, the more engrained the habit will become, but it will take time and patience.

Alec Swan

Visit site
He was clean last night.
I am not slating crating I am just saying I don't want to crate him forever surely that is just masking the symptoms rather than fixing the problem?

A clean night, success, well done!!

I'll admit that I don't like crates and I've never had one and wont use one, but that may be for different reasons. Getting him clean at night is largely a matter of breaking the habit of going, during the night. If putting him in a crate, whilst you are asleep is what works, then that's what you do.

Despite the fact that others don't agree, a normal and healthy dog beyond the age of 10 months only needs feeding once a day, and if you work during the day, but have someone to let him out during your work hours, then by night time, his bowel should be just about empty. What harm will be done by trying it for a week?

Alec.

NeverSayNever

Visit site
thats great OP! I have to admit when i was out with my lot this morning I thought of you and wondered! Did you shut him in the bedroom? ANother thing to think of for the future is using the crate in your room with you - might make you feel he is more 'with you’? I had a first ‘clean’ night with a young bitch of mine who has been a huge challenge, she is 20 months.

bobajob

Visit site
Either get rid or put it in a kennel and run outside. Nothing worse than going into someones home and it smells of dog or cat pee, especially if they have children. All my dogs are outside.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Nothing worse than people who advocate 'getting rid' over a minor inconvenience. It's the ops dog we are discussing, an animal I assume got with the knowledge its a life time commitment. Rather than a car or piece of furniture that can be 'got rid of' when no longer convenient.

bobajob

Visit site
Nothing worse than people who advocate 'getting rid' over a minor inconvenience. It's the ops dog we are discussing, an animal I assume got with the knowledge its a life time commitment. Rather than a car or piece of furniture that can be 'got rid of' when no longer convenient.

Minor inconvenience? A dog peeing in ahouse where there are children and food being prepared. My house is clean is yours? I doubt it with this attitude.

Alec Swan

Visit site
Minor inconvenience? A dog peeing in ahouse where there are children and food being prepared. My house is clean is yours? I doubt it with this attitude.

Blimey, bobajob, you'll settle in a treat, here!!

Not a migrant from Mumsnet, are we? :D

Alec.

ps. Don't bite, I'm teasing. ;)

Littlelegs

Visit site
Yeah, whatever bobajob. I bow to your superior knowledge. In my defense I can only say op asked for help house training, rather than your thoughts on the smell of dog mess. Do forgive me, I shall toddle off to find op a link for freecycle & preloved, as I'm sure you know what's best.

bobajob

Visit site
Yeah, whatever bobajob. I bow to your superior knowledge. In my defense I can only say op asked for help house training, rather than your thoughts on the smell of dog mess. Do forgive me, I shall toddle off to find op a link for freecycle & preloved, as I'm sure you know what's best.

I gave her my advice on house training. Are you not better off going to Tesco for some bleach and air freshners rather than Freecycle and Preloved?

Maybe part of your Culture having a dog or cat peeing all over the house but it is not part of mine.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Again, whatever you say. I was suggesting those sights for your method of housetraining, i.e. get rid. Indeed, your psychic powers are amazing, I do not need either bleach, or air fresheners, as you have said, my culture is to allow my house to be covered in mess. We do however wear wellies indoors, as nothing worse than a fresh pile squeezing up through your toes. And I move the cats litter tray off the kitchen unit to make space to prepare dinner, so I'm not all bad.

bobajob

Visit site
Again, whatever you say. I was suggesting those sights for your method of housetraining, i.e. get rid. Indeed, your psychic powers are amazing, I do not need either bleach, or air fresheners, as you have said, my culture is to allow my house to be covered in mess. We do however wear wellies indoors, as nothing worse than a fresh pile squeezing up through your toes. And I move the cats litter tray off the kitchen unit to make space to prepare dinner, so I'm not all bad.

Sorry to turn down your invitation to tea as I have other commitments.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Ah well, your loss bj. Don't see the issue myself, I mean even when they wee up the fridge the sealant keeps the inside clean. Never mind, it takes all sorts.

bobajob

Visit site
Ah well, your loss bj. Don't see the issue myself, I mean even when they wee up the fridge the sealant keeps the inside clean. Never mind, it takes all sorts.

Have you not thought of moving? I mean you do not have to clean up then and hey presto more nice clean carpets and fridges of course, for the dogs and cats to use as a toilet.

I adore my dogs but a line has to be drawn.

joop

Visit site
Why would u have pets if that's how easy u can part with them?

I'm thinking about getting him one of those soft crates to put in the bedroom for bedtime does anyone know a good place to get one from? His metal cage one is too big for the bedroom. Thanks

Denise657

Visit site
Its not ideal but when we were training our puppy i got up at intervals in the night to let her out, at least then she was doing the business outside and getting into that habit. Obviously with her being a puppy bladder size was the issue there but it worked when i applied the same theory to a 4 year old dog i looked after who was always messing indoors on a night.
with the older dog it obviously wasn't ideal and took far longer than with my puppy (i was working at the time so getting up in the night was a pain). I think its worth it in the long run, i went to bed at 11, let out at 4 and then 7. i adjusted the times after a week or 2 made it half 4, then 5 etc and she learned to just try hold it.

Boulty

Visit site
Whilst I won't argue that the irritation of showing something up a dog's backside is likely to make it defecate or that thermometers are annoyingly good at it I personally would not be advocating it as a training method. I also would not recommend restricting access to water, especially for a dog fed on dry food. Re the no of meals a day I'd say do as you wish, there are a lot of people who feed twice a day whose dogs manage to last the night perfectly fine (my late mutt included). Personally I'd say, as he is clearly capable of being able to be clean either pop him back in the crate overnight for a few more months or shut him in the bedroom with you in the hopes of him whining if he wants to go. Obviously praise enthusiastically when he DOES go outside, especially before bedtime and maybe play around with seeing if he is more likely to go if just let out in the garden or if taken for a short walk to see which he prefers. Also I would say try to use something other than bleach (washing powder if fine) to clean up accidents as there is a school of thought that says as bleach contains ammonia this can be mistaken for the smell of urine, encouraging the dog to keep urinating in that same spot.