Unpleasant and very distressing job....

Kate35

Visit site
My mare that I rescued 16 years ago had to be unexpectedly PTS on the 2nd April last. I now have to clear out her Rugs etc. Does anyone know of a deserving registered Charity who may have a need for them or perhaps someone knows of a fellow Horse owner who is still suffering from the effects of the economic climate. I am in CW11, Sandbach, I do not mind delivering them as I can combine it with a day out. All rugs are 6 ft 9 quality makes. Boots, bandages etc. I am retaining her saddle and bridles. Any suggestions?

TheoryX1

Visit site
Bit of a drive for you, but Horseworld, Bristol (BS14) are always on the look out for things.
Really sorry to hear about your horse though.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
So sorry about your horse.

I don't know any places. Maybe a call to the BHS?

I don't want to be insensitive or cause you any hurt, but maybe consider holding onto a special rug. It can be surprisingly cathartic to hold onto.

mtj

Visit site
Sorry to hear of your loss.

I sent all my first pony's rugs to a charity and still happy with that decision.

World Horse Welfare, think they have a yard in Blackpool, accept items. I understand they sell surplus donations.

I think one of the ex race horse charities is in your region. No doubt they would also be very grateful.

Kate35

Visit site
Thank you for all kind comments and suggestions, I will look into all of them and let you know what I decide. I just wanted something good to come out of a very bad situation and I am sure that my Horse would appreciate me putting her clothes etc to good use.

I am definately going to keep her saddle and bridles and the first ever rug that I bought for her. When it came to equipment, she was the best horse I ever had, never ripped a rug or broke a bucket in all the years that I was privileged to be her companion.

totally unexpected PTS

applecart14

Visit site
Thank you for all kind comments and suggestions, I will look into all of them and let you know what I decide. I just wanted something good to come out of a very bad situation and I am sure that my Horse would appreciate me putting her clothes etc to good use.

I am definately going to keep her saddle and bridles and the first ever rug that I bought for her. When it came to equipment, she was the best horse I ever had, never ripped a rug or broke a bucket in all the years that I was privileged to be her companion.

totally unexpected PTS

So sorry for your loss. Have been through it four times at each time hurts as much as the first so I sympathise with you xxx

I am sure I will get totally slated for saying this but are you sure you want to get rid of them? Rugs are not cheap and if you are planning on getting another horse then maybe it would be worth hanging onto them? My rambo rug has been passed from four horses, (this is the bit I will get slated for -) two of which actually died in the rug but when you have little money to splash on rugs and a rambo in 1995 cost near on £100 you tend to keep what can be used again. It is perfectly serviceable (or was until it went away to a new cleaning company and shrunk in the wash)!! My bridles have been used on all four horses for my present fifth horse, as have other rugs, like stable rugs, boots, bandages, etc, etc. The only thing I couldn't bear to get rid of or use on a new horse on the death of my first horse was his head collar which is in my wardrobe!

Sol

Visit site
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I'd also suggest Penny Farm in Blackpool. I'm only actually about 10mins drive from you, and we used to visit Penny Farm regularly, it is lovely & I imagine they would really appreciate the rugs etc.