unrealistic? insurance

loopylucifer

Visit site
not sure where best to put this so willputin NL too. will try and keep breif. I lost my old mare back in June and claimed on the insurance she was 19 she did have some veterinary issues but all were managed and she still lead a active life up until she died (her leg shattered in the field not a kick though). I had her insured for 1500 and her main activity was hacking, i work with horses day in day out and feel this was realistic. The insurance company have only paid out 500 for death of horse which i feel is crazy as she was still very cabable of doing her primary activity her problems were controlable and did not really affect her and surly if they felt she was only worth 500 then this should have been picked up at the renewal? Am I being totaly unrealistc or are they? I just feel it has taken 4.5months to get anything out of them and this just feels like it was worthless.

fatpiggy

Visit site
I'm sorry to hear about your poor old mare. I do think though that £1500 for a 19 year old happy hacker is a bit optomistic. Would you spend that much on a horse of that description because I certainly wouldn't. My 26 year old has managed veterinary issues - the fact that manageing them costs me £300 a month might put off a buyer! I think £750 would be about right for your old girl. At least the insurance paid out something for you. I know full well that none of the oldies on my yard would get a bean out of their insurance.

ITPersonnage

Visit site
If you write your car off they pay what the market says its worth not your valuation at renewal, it's the same with horses I'm afraid. You probably pay more premium for a high horse valuation but when it hits the fan, the insurance company wins. Sorry to hear about your horse though, very sad.

maginn

Visit site
Oh dear poor you, not good. As you say thought would have maybe gone up a bit higher so may be worth seeing if they would consider increasing a bit - even if you get them up to £700, it would be better. Out of interest which insurance company was it ? PM me it you don't want to say...

bailey14

Visit site
Yes, I'm sorry too for your loss. It is very sad when you have had an animal for many years and you lose them in such a tragic way, but for you not to get back any money in order to buy a new one is very bad. I do hope you manage to wangle a bit more money out of them, after all its what we pay our premiums for, so we know we are financially covered in the event of the loss of a horse.x