Unsubscribing from Robinsons

Beausmate

Visit site
As I am no longer buying stuff from Robinsons, I unsubscribed from their emails. Should have been simple enough, right? Nope. I am now receiving unsolicited emails from... guess who... Sports Direct.

I unsubscribed from the fourth email in as many days this morning :mad:

Has anyone else here had the same problem and how long did it take for the emails to stop, or did you have to get them to sod off by other means?

I will never use either Robinsons or Sports Direct, or any other business connect with them again.

Shay

Visit site
The problem with formally unsubscribing is that you confirm the email address as valid - so they pass the address on to another marketing section within the buisness - or sell it on outside. Better to just mark the emails as spam and let your spam filter handle them.

sidsmum

Visit site
I'm getting a bit annoyed with all the emails from robinsons too - bit of a coincidence to suddenly get emails from sports direct though! Bit cheeky!

JillA

Visit site
Is it illegal not to make unsubscribing possible, anyone know? I have just had words with Muddy Matches, whose system insists that you log in to their website before you can amend your email options. They removed me from their list but I had to message them, and did suggest they might be breaking the law. They didn't take issue with that.

Kaybie

Visit site
Marketing emails are unlawful unless they have your permission. Once you have formally withdrawn your permission they are then breaking the law by contacting you again.

Any means of communicating the withdrawal of consent to the company is valid - there doesn't need to be a specific 'unsubscribing' method unless indicated in terms and conditions that you've agreed to by your hard or soft opt-in.

case895

Visit site
The worst organisation I have found in Cancer Research UK. I have used the unsubscribe process three times and still get sent their emails.

Dubsie

Visit site
Charities are the worst! My late father subscribed to/donated over 100 organisations/charities. Many, when I emailed from my address requesting to take him off their postal mailing list promptly subscribed my email address to their spam. Emailing back to complain I had not subscribed and requesting removal meant my address got added a second time..... Finally cracked the worst offender by emailing their chief exec (google found his direct email).

Abacus

Visit site
Data protection laws are getting tighter all the time and you should report any company that doesn't unsubscribe you promptly, although I believe that they do have a window of 28 days from hearing from you, to update their systems. They definitely should not pass on your email address to other departments or associates although when you originally ticked the box that allowed them to contact you, you might have allowed them to do so if you didn't read the small print. Always be careful on ticking and unticking those opt-in and out boxes...

Antw23uk

Visit site
Just mark them as spam and delete your spam folder once a week! What I find frustrating is the websites that insist on an email address before you can go any further .... and then funnily enough even though you tick the box not to share or receive emails you then start getting inundated with emails from random companies!

I have a hit list now ... I have a list of companies I wont buy from because they either spam email or have annoying adverts on TV, lol!

smja

Visit site
When you unsubscribe, your email address should be removed from that mailing list. The same company may have multiple mailing lists, so you end up have to unsub from the same organisation several times. Or, they're just disorganised (our system handles unsubs automatically, I would have to specifically go in and re-add somebody manually if they changed their mind).

It is best practice to make sure people know which emails are from which mailing lists so they know what they're receiving, and why (e.g. you're receiving this email because you subscribed to our Chocolate Teapot mailing list).

If you're still receiving them, mark as spam. If for some reason you still get emails, you should also be able to report abuse.

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
Had to laugh at this post as I've just unsubscribed from Robinson's as was getting 2/3 emails a day . Low and behold I've started to get sports direct emails too now not really surprising when both companies are owned by same people.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Robinsons got taken over by Sports Direct. No surprise really that once you unsubscribe from one, the other steps up. Also no surprise that they treat potential customers with the same Bullying tactics that they use on their staff. Google "Sports Direct Modern Slavery".

alainax

Visit site
You can block emails from the address in your settings.

Last time I was on robinsons they seemed that have changed their site. Was much less apealling and have the stopped the riders rewards? Was the reason I would choose them over others previously, but can't find it now.

frostyfingers

Visit site
They quite often say it will take 28 days to stop emails coming - god knows why - so hopefully they'll stop. I never tick the boxes in the first place but it's surprising how many times that seems to be ignored, just keep unsubscribing or resort to Twitter & FB until they stop.

Beausmate

Visit site
Had to laugh at this post as I've just unsubscribed from Robinson's as was getting 2/3 emails a day . Low and behold I've started to get sports direct emails too now not really surprising when both companies are owned by same people.

Did you subscribe to Robinsons before Sports Direct too them over? I did, which makes it all the more annoying.

I don't see why I should have to have their unwanted emails filling up my spam box, when the should respect my wishes and remove me from their mailing list. When I have customers unsubscribe, they come off the list and don't go back on unless they request it. If they no longer want the newsletter, then they aren't interested in our products and all hassling them will achieve, is no likelihood of them ever coming back!

I have now unsubscribed six times and so far so good. Not holding my breath though!

mperson01

Visit site
I have several emails. One is work/professional, which is only ever used for bank etc. Because it doesn't ever get given out it stays 'clean'.
Another is a family and friends. Again tends to get little spam.
Finally I have one for the likes of these websites, and happily give this one out to anyone. Unsurprisingly this does get a lot of mailing list/junk/spam around 30per day. However, On this last one, the junk filter is set to exclusive so only approved senders come into the main box.
All I do with this is every few days have a quick look down the junk box, take anything I want, then hit delete all.
Also, by doing it this way it makes spotting the phish quite easy.

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
Did you subscribe to Robinsons before Sports Direct too them over? I did, which makes it all the more annoying.

I don't see why I should have to have their unwanted emails filling up my spam box, when the should respect my wishes and remove me from their mailing list. When I have customers unsubscribe, they come off the list and don't go back on unless they request it. If they no longer want the newsletter, then they aren't interested in our products and all hassling them will achieve, is no likelihood of them ever coming back!

I have now unsubscribed six times and so far so good. Not holding my breath though!

Yes I think so. I don't mind the odd email with bargains but robinsons was getting ridiculous every other email seemed to be from them