Unusual behaviour

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
I feel like all I do is post on here about my struggles...

Newish horse, few months, flew 5 stage vetting.

Over last two months has become nappy and spooky. Nappiness was sorted with someone else hacking her out as we had too any arguments and I think she just lost confidence in me and me her.

Jumping/schooling was going well.

She has now started to buck in canter, she will canter 2/3 strides, then buck, maybe canter 6/7 strides then maybe buck again.
She does this less when jumping and more in flatwork. (Ears back, tail swishing etc)

In addition she’s become very unhappy about being tacked up, oddly not with the girth but with the saddle.

Saddle checked
Back checked
Teeth checked

I’ve re booked a back check because I’m clutching at straws.

I don’t think she’s in season?
Any ideas?

be positive

Visit site
When you say saddle check was it a proper check where they saw you ride in all paces?
Was the back check by a qualified physio that saw the horse move and worked on the whole horse not just looking at the back, it certainly sounds as if something is hurting and if both of the checks have been done properly with nothing found you need to get the vet to investigate more thoroughly.

Polos Mum

Visit site
As we've seen on here there can be some 'professionally fitted' saddles that are truly horrific! I would check the qualifications of both back and saddle people and find the most qualified / recommended person in your area to re-check both.

All sound like pain indicators so something is going on somewhere - if she reacts most to the saddle that's were I'd focus.

If you can read up on saddle fitting a bit yourself maybe worth it so you can question what is in front of you.
Also if you have an alternative saddle to try - why not give that a go. Sometimes what looks like if fits just doesn't feel comfortable for them and you have to try something different - even if it's not obvious to us why !

mandyroberts

Visit site
Definitely sounds like pain. You'll find good and bad reviews about every saddler/physio/dentist but as other shave said do check their qualifications and ask locally what other people think. Where do you live?

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
When you say back checked are we talking physio or full vet check with x-rays? I'd also get a second opinion on the saddle fit and maybe consider scoping for ulcers, although I suspect this would be a symptom of whatever else is going on rather than the cause if positive.

Michelle1109

Visit site
Is this the warmblood?
Did you get her scoped for ulcers?

I’d second this a horse on yard did the exact same thing ..., turns out he was full of ulcers - treated and now back to his old self (he was 6)

Best advice I can give is call a good qualified reputable equine vet
Good luck x

tabithakat64

Visit site
Doesn't sound like she's the right horse for you TBH not for the first time either if my memory serves me right.

If you've had the checks done by properly qualified individuals who come highly recommended and hind leg issues, kissing spine and ulcers have all been ruled out and others are able to ride her through these issues then maybe the problem lies with either the horses day to day management or simply that you're not suited to each other.

LaurenBay

Visit site
It sounds like your Horse is very much in pain, if she were mine I'd be getting a vet out to do a full lameness workup including being scoped for ulcers.