Unusual Droppings

Bugly

Visit site
I'm hoping you forumists might have some bright ideas about what is going on with my mare's digestive system. Her droppings have always been much bigger and looser than any of the other horses, they resemble cow pats, very loose and there is an unpleasant gassy smell to then rather than smelling of grass. She never does poos that are in small balls and there is often un digested food in the droppings.

I have tried her on many good quality probiotics which never seem to improve this issue. She is 'girthy' and always struggles to keep weight on in the winter despite having very good quality food.

I'd really like to get to the bottom of this issue, should I be talking to a nutritionalist or the vet?

She has had blood tests for worms and is worm free but 2 years ago she did have a tapeworm burden. Could this have damaged her internally?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Archiepoo

Visit site
hi have you ever chatted to the vet about this? i would honestly have the horse checked for ulcers they can cause the exact symptoms you are discribing.x

Bugly

Visit site
What is she fed on at the moment?
She's on on grass at the moment with mineral licks as she is currently half way through a year off due to a tendon injury. When she's in work she has Just Grass Chaff, Ground Micronised Linseed, Dodson and Horrell Build Up Cubes and Sugar Beet and ad lib haylage......in the correct quantities for her height/size and still drops weight!

Bugly

Visit site
hi have you ever chatted to the vet about this? i would honestly have the horse checked for ulcers they can cause the exact symptoms you are discribing.x

Thanks archiepoo.....so two years ago I suspected ulcers and the vet came to visit her. He took a blood test and she was found to have a tapeworm infestation. Having got that cleared up we've never re-visited the possibility of an ulcer issue. Looks like i'd better start going down that route again.

Jesstickle

Visit site
are her teeth ok for a starting point?

After that I would double check for ulcers.

My little mare was always loose even though there was nothing wrong with her, some are just like that I think. I fed her the Lifeforce supplement (once I knew she was ok) which did improve the runniness but she always had a tendency to be loose when stressed etc!

putasocinit

Visit site
Agree charcoal but try feeding hay not haylage, grass causes looser droppings, if feeding charcoal bear in mond it will not allow the uptake of drugs so if she is on anything medicinal you shouldnt give her that whilst taking the charcoal.

Bugly

Visit site
Thanks for the link, that is certainly Tilly in a nutshell...'sour smelling droppings'.

I think I'll go for a second opinion as my previous vet dismissed the issue.

Thank you

Bugly

Visit site
oh and sorry I forgot to say, her teeth are great, they are done every nine months, and recently in April this year. Thank you for your contributions.