Unusual Sweat Patch, possible nerve damage?

Jannalo

New User
Visit site
My 3 yr old gelding has recently been having a strange wet patch behind his hip, usually in the morning when I take his rug off. He's not overheating- this is the only sweaty area. It usually dries but his coat is a slightly different colour there. I've found some very old posts on here that seem to suggest it could be nerve damage, any thoughts would be much appreciated. Also, if someone could tell me how to upload a pic ill put on up! Many thanks!!

toomanyhorses26

Visit site
My horse used to get this on his shoulder and it used to improve the fitter he was - used to make a reappearance in the winter or if he had any major time off

Zerotolerance

Visit site
One of mine has had this on his neck intermittently for years (he's 23 now) - looks like he's oozing oil from his neck in a strange shaped patch, nothing like normal sweat. Had umpteen tests at the vets years back, acupuncture etc and never did find out exactly what it was. Has never caused him a problem, just looks a little odd as the hair is permanently discoloured.

Archiepoo

Visit site
it can be a sign of cushings to have random sweat patches-sorry just read its a 3 yr old ,maybe have a chat with the vet about it .x

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
My tb mare had one on her neck near her wither, used to fade the hair during summer. Never caused any problems, chiropractor suggested it was nerve damage, to the nerves supplying the skin.

Jannalo

New User
Visit site
Thanks everyone, I'll have a chat with the vet anyway... It occurred to me that after he had a lice infestation a couple of months back, the vet suggested instead of bathing him in dermoline (as it was so cold) just diluting it and spraying him... The ingredient pyrethrin has been known to cause nerve damage among a host of other problems... Maybe it was this... :confused:

paulineh

Visit site
I have a 7 year old gelding in my yard who damaged his shoulder badly, now the coat has grown back he will sweat along the scar line. This is due to nerve damage but once the nerves grow back he will hopefully stop sweating.

He was never lame so no muscle damage.

magicmoose

Visit site
The area that sweats will not always be directly over the damaged part of the nerve. The nerves that tell that bit of skin whether to sweat or not could have been damaged anywhere along their length, so the message is getting scrambled.

I have my very own odd sweating eyebrow, following an eye operation. It doesn't hurt, it just makes my eye makeup smear!

Jannalo

New User
Visit site
Wow - waterproof mascara it is then!! :)

He's never had an operation, and as far as I'm aware no injuries. He doesn't seem to have any pain anywhere and isn't lame... Very odd!