Unwanted Advice

pansymouse

Visit site
I'm not above giving unsolicited advice to riders when I'm driving particularly in relation to the wearing of hi viz and generally making themselves seen. I usually say as a rider I couldn't live with myself if they had an accident caused by their not knowing they could not be clearly seen. I accept it if they are abusive and ignore me because I feel I have fulfilled my moral obligation. I also do it to cyclists.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Outstanding, even as a mountain biker, that is still funny.

Idiots come in all modes of transport :). To redress the balance of maligned cyclists, I was quite taken by the good taste of two of them the other day though. Riding Fat Boy through the village, one cyclist yelled as he whizzed by, 'Magnificent! Now that's what I call a real horse'.

Fat Boy was quite pleased with himself, I think.

PollyP99

Visit site
On my first hack out on a new yard with my the new riding buddy on her just backed mount we were passed at close quarters by a car. We didn't wave thanks, we were both concentrating on moving forwards, neither was going to take a hand off as both mounts were nervy as heck that day. The woman screeched to a halt, leap out of her car and started hurling abuse about ungrateful riders, I was mortified and tried to explain but she jumped in The car and screamed off down the road. I have NEVER not thanked anyone since, or before I don't think, but it was one of those moments, etched forever on my brain, horrible, just glad it was me and my similar aged buddy not kids or very nervous riders/ponies, although ours actually were that day.

Funnily enough my friend ran into the woman again,she stopped again even though my friend was thanking cars like a mad woman, this time she stopped to ask her why she was riding in a head collar, she was in fact riding in a bitless bridle which she explained to the woman, she then said to her, I've met you before and went on to tell her what she'd done last encounter, the woman was horrified and embarrassed, so all is well we all wave merrily to each other now!

Folk are weird, huh.

Last edited:

Arizahn

Visit site
On my first hack out on a new yard with my the new riding buddy on her just backed mount we were passed at close quarters by a car. We didn't wave thanks, we were both concentrating on moving forwards, neither was going to take a hand off as both mounts were nervy as heck that day. The woman screeched to a halt, leap out of her car and started hurling abuse about ungrateful riders, I was mortified and tried to explain but she jumped in The car and screamed off down the road. I have NEVER not thanked anyone since, or before I don't think, but it was one of those moments, etched forever on my brain, horrible, just glad it was me and my similar aged buddy not kids or very nervous riders/ponies, although ours actually were that day.

Funnily enough my friend ran into the woman again,she stopped again even though my friend was thanking cars like a mad woman, this time she stopped to ask her why she was riding in a head collar, she was in fact riding in a bitless bridle which she explained to the woman, she then said to her, I've met you before and went on to tell her what she'd done last encounter, the woman was horrified and embarrassed, so all is well we all wave merrily to each other now!

Folk are weird, huh.

I'd have reported her both times personally. What a nasty, aggressive and entitled thing to do. That driver is not weird, she is a bully, and should be more than embarrassed! You were being responsible for your horses, don't waste another moment thinking about idiots like that and please don't feel obliged to wave either - any reasonable person would far rather that the rider kept their hands and attention fully on their horse!

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'd have reported her both times personally. What a nasty, aggressive and entitled thing to do. That driver is not weird, she is a bully, and should be more than embarrassed! You were being responsible for your horses, don't waste another moment thinking about idiots like that and please don't feel obliged to wave either - any reasonable person would far rather that the rider kept their hands and attention fully on their horse!

Ah but if you believe some posters on here, not thanking someone will lead to angry drivers speeding past other horses and killing them :rolleyes3:

There's nowt so queer as folk!

NellRosk

Visit site
Ahh yes, love unwanted advice! Last year was out on my youngster and she was going through a nappy horrible phase of stopping and trying to go up, so to combat this we trotted past certain problem points. Two oldish women on horses stopped to let me go past and as I was going made some arsey remark about me trotting downhill and how it was bad for my horse. The road was on a very slight decline and horse is unshod so I have no issues with that, and would much rather that than be squashed underneath all 700kg of her when she decides to go up and over!

case895

Visit site
Ah but if you believe some posters on here, not thanking someone will lead to angry drivers speeding past other horses and killing them :rolleyes3:

There's nowt so queer as folk!

I have had this argument several times with my wife. I stand that since they are legally required to give us space, I am under no obligation to thank them and that by her logic, when we are in London for Olympia, I should "thank" every local youth who does not stab or mug us.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I have had this argument several times with my wife. I stand that since they are legally required to give us space, I am under no obligation to thank them and that by her logic, when we are in London for Olympia, I should "thank" every local youth who does not stab or mug us.

Don't you? How rude! I always thank hoodies for not stabbing me when I'm in London...

doriangrey

Visit site
FFS is it so hard to be considerate to each other? I'm going to take the original post at face value, so what if the 'old gent' had come across a car that had broken down, walkers or someone pushing a pushchair or walking with toddlers? You drive for the road conditions and if you are going to plough into the back of something whose fault is it anyway? Where I live in rural Ireland, even today there was a cow mooching out on the road on a blind bend when I was driving home from the school run. Maybe I should have wound the window down and had words with it :D

shannonandtay

Visit site
Don't you? How rude! I always thank hoodies for not stabbing me when I'm in London...

Also if they can't get past quick enough even after being asked politely to stop revving up behind the horses and they will be able to pass in a second, they threaten to get out and smash your faces in, this happened to my daughter and a couple of others, one an adult when the driver was in a rush and not willing to just hold on for one minute. I can understand the op getting the hump with a know it all but at least he didn't smash their faces in :)

mattydog

Visit site
Well to answer in the spirit this thread was started in...I once had a lady whom I had asked to slow down as she passed me....palm down up and down motion, reverse at speed and inform me she was only doing 30 mph. This on a narrow 2 way country lane. We had a civilised conversation ....not.....during which I pointed out that, although my horses were good in traffic, I had no control over pheasants, plastic bags or any other random horse eating spookies. I also asked her whether she would have been able to stop if said horse spooked at said obstacles at which point she drove off....at speed!!