Unwilling to go forward - being an arse or something more?

checkmate1

Visit site
Hey, I haven't read all of your replies except youve had teeth and saddle checked. I've got a 5 yr old and can understand how hard it can be!
However, I seriously advise getting backed checked. My Mctimothy lady's young horse has been showing very similar symptoms to yours (and hes an arab- they like going forward!) and she +vet suspect fractured pelvis (bone scan results due very soon). I would firstly rule out all physical problems.
Then look at feed- if he getting enough for energy? Half and hours solid schooling can be fairly strenuous on a young horse. Is he more forward out hacking? If all other bases checked I'd would seek another instructor who maybe could help you with a lazy youngster - mine was lazy not anymore!!! Let us know how he gets on!

SnowPhony

Visit site
It sounds like bolshy babyish behaviour to me. Get someone confident enough to ride him through his paddys, who is patient, quiet and persistent and as soon as he does as asks then reward him by finishing the session.

This is what I do with little mare who although isn't a baby at 14, she is very green as she has been a broodmare most of her life. She is prone to throwing strops so I ride her through it and when she starts behaving and does as I ask she gets to finish. Seems to be going well with her.

Don't let anyone get angry with your horse as it sounds to me as though he is well up for a fight and I think you may find problems will then escalate.

millitiger

Visit site
sounds like a normal baby to be honest! get his back checked and try in a different saddle and after that he will just need to learn to go forward when asked.

i am going through the same thing at the moment with my 4yro- she was very stuffy and while not bucking, would lift her back when iasked for more effort or for her to work a bit more forwards.

i was being very nice and quiet with her until she really annoyed me with this passive resistance and decided i was going to really ride forwards regardless of the consequences!

i now sit slightly absolutely upright (instead of typical baby riding which is slightly forward seat), i have lifted my hands and if i don't get a reaction to the leg she gets a tickle with a schooling whip.

i was prepared for a few bucks or whatever but actually nothing awful happened and she is now MUCH more forward going. canter transitions are still a little sticky but i am sitting up and riding forward without kicking/ flapping or walloping!

some horses are naturally lazy (like some people) and need a little extra motivation to get them going- it is easy to be sucked into the 'nicey nicey' riding with a baby and actually not really riding but just being happy to sit on them- you need to break the cycle and calmly insist on him going forward (or get someon else to do it who will sit out whatever he throws at you)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
[quote

I am coming to the end of the bag of Alpha and was going to replace with Hi Fi as they are looking a bit porky.

[/ QUOTE ]

It might be worth removing all molasses from his feed, that can make them hyper/tired when they have worked for a while.
I would also get another opinion on tack/teeth. Horses can change shape enormously when growing & developing muscle. It could be something as simple as slight discomfort becomes more annoying as horse gets warmer.
Hope you find a solution soon.

Coffee_Bean

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Unlikely to be this... but there was a 5 year old mare at my yard who was really sluggish... they got the vet out and she was diagnosed with rotated pedal bones in all 4 feet!! One trip from the remedial farrier and she was transformed. Hope it's nothing serious
smile.gif