update - abscess - vet visit

Birker2020

Visit site
Following on from my horse having an abscess the vet came out Friday the horse was really resistant to nerve blocking but we managed to block the foot and came up sound so we xrayed. No laminitis, foot balance absolutely spot on, no fracture. But navicular bone very ragged, so degeneration of that and she has a spur. She said to get the shoe back on asap, turnout and give two bute a day. Need to get her moving, box rest is her worse enemy.

I've borrowed a boot from a friend and she is walking out in that and walking around the arena in hand, had a few rolls, a spot of handgrazing and the vet has asked me to get her moving as much as possible before the shoe goes on. She can tolerate a shoe put back on but can't take any weight on the bad foot. On Sunday I nearly called time, took my Mum up to say goodbye although I didn't let on it was because of that.

I got a farrier who is the BF of a livery to just have a quick look at his foot and he said he thought it was a corn that he had and that they can cause abscesses. When he walks he is very point toey like he is trying to dip his toe in water which is an indication of a corn. I have left countless voice mails and a text for the farrier this morning explaining the situation.

Bumped into a friend and said I think I should wait until shoe put back on, she agreed, she said you don't want any 'what if's' you need to rule everything out which is what my partner said to me that morning. This is the biggest decision I will ever have to make, I need to be 110% certain. If its a corn the farrier will see it is, if its navicular the raised heel of the shoe might help.

She goes from almost sound to cripping lame in a few strides and is worse when she turns. Yesterday afternoon took her in the school for a leg stretch with the boot on and she's happily walking around with no issues, then rolled then got up and did airs above the ground but then realised it hurt her foot and started limping again for a few strides.

She's still bright, alert, eating, lying down, getting up without a problem, looking around, seems happy in herself. I've upped the bute to three yesterday so she's more comfortable when she goes out.

It's killing me. What makes it worse is that the farrier isn't returning my calls/texts.

Oh and the pad which has sat in my manger for over a week had suddenly dissapeared yesterday afternoon. I've spent at least two hours, me and my partner looking for it, tore the stable apart, the hay bar, the tubs of hay, searched the wheelbarrow soon as I realised it was missing. This was meant to go on under the shoe so I'm hoping the farrier carries a spare. Think horse knocked it on floor as all his brushes were on the floor and a dog came along and thought it was a chew and made off with it as we have lots of loose dogs on the yard. I can't think where else it's gone.

Birker2020

Visit site
Is there another farrier - preferably one who is used to working with vets and can have a look at the x rays for you?
My physio friend said if we can't get hold of mine then she knows a very good one who will be able to help - he works along side and other physios.

I know it doesn't sound hopeful and I am prepared for the worse and to pts but I need to have a conversation with someone who knows my horse. The vet who has been dealing with her is a very nice vet and I'm sure she knows her stuff but she'd only joined the practice a week before and I called her out last Sunday as an emergency as the horse was on three legs. The previous vet dealt with my horse for four years, the one before him about 12 years. She knows none of his history nothing that would help.

Birker2020

Visit site
Partner just text me (he works at yard on Mondays) to say farrier here. Thank God! :)
He says she was only lame when he turned out of the stable to tie her up. And he has a spare pad! Halleleulah. Farrier said deffo not an abscess nor a corn. So it looks like it's the navicular.

Last edited:

SEL

Visit site
Partner just text me (he works at yard on Mondays) to say farrier here. Thank God! :)
He says she was only lame when he turned out of the stable to tie her up. And he has a spare pad! Halleleulah. Farrier said deffo not an abscess nor a corn. So it looks like it's the navicular.

In that case keep the faith! Mine has navicular and although she'll only ever be a light hack (she has a very long list of problems) she is definitely paddock sound and if it wasn't for some of her other issues then she could probably do more. There are a lot of success stories out there so I hope you get a good result

Birker2020

Visit site
Well she went out for four hours last night in her paddock after waiting 50m for the sedalin to kick in.

We went to get her in at 9pm and she was walking really well across the paddock and down the slip but uncomfortable on the concrete.

This morning she seemed to be good coming out of the stable but got progressively worse on the concrete but again really good on the soft surface of the school, but will then suddenly go very lame. She'd had her brekkie but the bute hadn't kicked in (she is on one in morning feed and one evening feed) I took videos as the head vet is having a look at her notes/xrays to give me his input, like a second opinion.

I am still in two minds whether to give up but as she's been on box rest for over a week and only had the shoe put back on yesterday I am going to wait until after the weekend to make any big decisions.
I have a very important interview on Friday which will offer me, if I get it which I think I will, 2.5 years of work. So I need to have my head screwed on and she is comfortable on pain relief and seemed to really enjoy being out in the paddock, so she can stay out overnight tonight.

Birker2020

Visit site
Not that anyone seems to be interested in my post but I've spoken with the head vet, we believe the DDFT is rubbing on the back of the Navicular spur. Keeping horse comfortable on 3 bute a day for the next few days and having PTS next week whilst she is still happy and relatively pain free. After she came in from the paddock last night looking almost sound and this morning out of the stable and getting worse on the concrete all hope has gone.

I've had this horse 17 years, I feel like my heart is being ripped out.

Thanks for those (one person) who contributed to my post.

Reacher

Visit site
Am sorry your horse is having so many problems - I might have missed the back story but do the vets know if the DDFT is compromised and have they tried any medical interventions like Tildren? Is she covered by insurance?
Sorry you have a lot on your plate.

Reacher

Visit site
Not that anyone seems to be interested in my post but I've spoken with the head vet, we believe the DDFT is rubbing on the back of the Navicular spur. Keeping horse comfortable on 3 bute a day for the next few days and having PTS next week whilst she is still happy and relatively pain free. After she came in from the paddock last night looking almost sound and this morning out of the stable and getting worse on the concrete all hope has gone.

(I cross posted with your last post. ) Am sorry the outcome is PTS but you are obviously doing everything you can for your long term friend.

ponyparty

Visit site

How terribly sad, but very brave of you to make that decision. I hope you manage to have a nice few days with her, spoiling her rotten and telling her how much you love her. Thoughts with you at this devastating time.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

I didn't comment B, because my only advice was that her time has come, and you weren't in a place where you were ready to hear it. I'm so sorry, after all you've done, but sometimes there is no more you can do but give them a peaceful end.

SEL

Visit site

I am sorry to hear this - but if she can't be paddock sound then you are doing the right thing and she won't be in pain any longer. Its incredibly hard when we want to fix them and we can't xx

vetsbestfriend

Visit site
Another who unfortunately could not comment before as no direct experience of this kind of issue. However as an owner who also had to make the awful but realistic decision we had reached the end of the road and no treatment was able to save my horse, I can understand how upsetting this has been for you and the emotional rollercoaster you are going through. I am sorry you are in this position and yes, although incredibly painful, you know your horse will no longer be in pain. Sending my thoughts to you both.

Birker2020

Visit site
Another who unfortunately could not comment before as no direct experience of this kind of issue. However as an owner who also had to make the awful but realistic decision we had reached the end of the road and no treatment was able to save my horse, I can understand how upsetting this has been for you and the emotional rollercoaster you are going through. I am sorry you are in this position and yes, although incredibly painful, you know your horse will no longer be in pain. Sending my thoughts to you both.
Thank you. I keep getting a lump in my throat and feel like i am struggling to breathe just thinking about it.
My partner of nearly 21 years will be with me. I was with him with his dog and he knows what it meant for him to have someone to support. My physio friend who has been on so much of the journey with me and my horse has offered to be there which is so very kind of her, but I just want it to be the three of us and the vet.

It's hard to talk about so goodness knows how I will cope on the day.

I'm hoping to get my lovely horse whisperer friend out before, she has been so helpful on numerous occasions, relaying how my horse was begging me to get the dentist out (even though she'd had her teeth done four months before) and so I relented and what a good job -when the EDT came out there was a massive fracture in a top tooth! She relayed how she was miffed that I'd stopped feeding her a favourite food and replacing it with the nasty low calorie version (she was putting on weight with the full fat version). She even told me my horse didn't like other people using her head collar (a member of staff admitted after the reading) that just days before (and the only time ever) he'd used her headcollar to get a newbies horse in from the field as she'd not left hers out and mine was the only one that would fit her horses head! Saved him a walk back to the yard!

TRECtastic

Visit site
Very sad for you but sounds like the best decision for your horse
I had to have my superstar TREC horse pts 13th March, there was nothing else that could be done for him and the decision was made while he was still happily eating and had quality of life
You know you have done your very best for your horse and they had the best life with you
I was incredibly sad to have Henry pts but it was tempered with relief that I wouldn't find him in distress one day (he had liver failure)

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
I'm so sorry to read this, I was in this situation last week , I'd had mine for around 18 years and it's so hard but it is the last kind thing you can do for them. I found judging the right time and waiting for the day to come around was the hardest. After that, although it was so sad and I miss her loads it was almost a relief that I could stop dreading what I might find every time I got there. You know you've given her the best life and she will go knowing how loved she was. x

vetsbestfriend

Visit site
Thank you. I keep getting a lump in my throat and feel like i am struggling to breathe just thinking about it.
My partner of nearly 21 years will be with me. I was with him with his dog and he knows what it meant for him to have someone to support. My physio friend who has been on so much of the journey with me and my horse has offered to be there which is so very kind of her, but I just want it to be the three of us and the vet.

It's hard to talk about so goodness knows how I will cope on the day.

I'm hoping to get my lovely horse whisperer friend out before, she has been so helpful on numerous occasions, relaying how my horse was begging me to get the dentist out (even though she'd had her teeth done four months before) and so I relented and what a good job -when the EDT came out there was a massive fracture in a top tooth! She relayed how she was miffed that I'd stopped feeding her a favourite food and replacing it with the nasty low calorie version (she was putting on weight with the full fat version). She even told me my horse didn't like other people using her head collar (a member of staff admitted after the reading) that just days before (and the only time ever) he'd used her headcollar to get a newbies horse in from the field as she'd not left hers out and mine was the only one that would fit her horses head! Saved him a walk back to the yard!

It is even harder when you have such a relationship with them and a bond that is that strong. My boy was with me over 16 years and I have never got over losing him and missing him, he went to horsey heaven just over 4 years ago. Give yourself time and space afterwards, cry, hug the rugs, do whatever you need to do is my best advice. Hugs. xx

Birker2020

Visit site
Give yourself time and space afterwards, cry, hug the rugs, do whatever you need to do is my best advice. Hugs. xx
So sorry about your horse.

I have spoken to my boss earlier and told him I was planning on having her pts next week and I would need a couple of days off work after.

I have a really important (and much needed financially) interview this week for a 2.5 year contract with one of the best principal contractors in the construction industry and the agency chap who has arranged the interview with the client says the client is not interviewing anyone else as they are so interested in my cv. I know if I lose her before then I won't get through the interview without breaking down. I explained this to the vet and said I felt selfish even saying this but he said it was okay, to take my time and that she will be okay until early next week and we are increasing her bute accordingly and she can be loved and spoilt for a few days. Sometimes when you see her walk on the grass/surface you'd be hard pressed to see anything was amiss and then suddenly it catches her.

If I get this job, this will mean that I will have my future secured for a good while and it is very local to the yard and the work is just what i am looking for. I know it seems an awful betrayal talking about the future without B and working close to the yard right now, but I am, if nothing realistic and will have my stable held for me.

I've been through this 4 times before but never had to make the shout before. I absolutely love the bones of her. I have to remind myself that this is why I am choosing to let go but it doesn't make it easier. My farrier texted me earlier, we have been working closely together to try to sort all this out and he has been brilliant. He said I couldn't have done more for her and that, for what its worth I was dong the right thing which makes me feel a bit easier.