Update after vet visit

MDB

Visit site
My mare has been badly lame for one and a half weeks. It has been 3 days since the vet dug out her sole to find an abscess but we couldnt find anything. So today there is nothing no signs of anything from the hole. We finally got xrays. Good news is that all joints and bones are fine. No degenerative joint disease, no chips or fractures, no distal descent or rotation. Also no abscess. Which doesnt mean there isnt one, just that it cannot be seen. Vet did think that she had some tenderness over the coronary band and said it might burst from there. If it does then great, but that also means I have a hole in the sole of the hoof for nothing. He said to give it a week and it should have burst. If it doesnt then we may be looking at a tendon or ligament issue (which is what the farrier thinks it is).

Annagain

Visit site
At least now you have one answer - if not THE answer. Here's hoping for pus over the next day or two. Do you have what you need now? Can I send you some animalintex? I drive past the farm shop every day so it's no bother and you'll hopefully have it in a couple of days.

MDB

Visit site
At least now you have one answer - if not THE answer. Here's hoping for pus over the next day or two. Do you have what you need now? Can I send you some animalintex? I drive past the farm shop every day so it's no bother and you'll hopefully have it in a couple of days.

That is a realy, really kind offer. Thank you, but I have epsom salts now and I can order it online here in Spain. But thank you! Yes, it was a relief to have the xrays. At least I can sigh with relief that the joints and bones are ok. Keeping everything crossed for pus soon. She is still on antibiotics though which the vet said I should continue with even though he did admit that this will slow things down. He says that if it is an abscess then it should burst within the week. If nothing appears and she remains lame... then we cross that bridge when we come to it.

whiteflower

Visit site
Glad you have been able to rule something's out. I really hope it is an abcess although from your description of the severity of lameness and with nothing on x-rays and the duration of lameness your Farrier may be right. If it is soft tissue in the foot it can be a long, slow bumpy road to recovery so I'm crossing everything for you for the abcess. Keep us posted

Pilatesclare

Visit site
Just wondered how your horse is mdb? Have been following but not commented, I hope an abscess has burst through. Sorry if I have missed an update.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Oh bless you! I had a similar issue with my horse last year, he was rest his back foot constantly and was really nappy to ride! when I got him back I noticed him resting it again! and found a pulse, so called the vet, who came out and couldn't find anything! there was a slight reaction but nothing to confirm the exact location. so I was told that I found the issue too early! I poulticed for a week and nothing came out and he seemed sound, so I took it off and within a few days, it burst out of his heel and he was right as rain again

JillA

Visit site
Years ago a horse I had bred was almost PTS because of acute lameness that couldn't be found and didn't show up on x-ray. Turned out he had a sliver of wood that had worked its way inside - but I can't remember how they located and removed it, possibly by a scan

Fun Times

Visit site
How is the horse now MDB? I.don't wish to sound like a doom monger but please be.aware that pedal bone fractures don't always show up on xrays and if this doesn't resolve pronto I would want an MRI of the foot.