UPDATE Failed re-vetting

GLW

Visit site
Some of you were kind enough to respond to my thread last week when I was planning to have my potential purchase re-vetted after she trotted up lame in stage 5. Unfortunately, the exact same thing happened today (although she was not as bad as last time) on the vet's advice I am giving up on her as there is just too much risk that it could actually point to a problem.

I am gutted to say the least, I really wanted to buy this horse.

Not to mention I have paid a deposit on the stable at my yard and spent a fortune on equestrianclearance.com in preparation for my new arrival...

In a couple of days I will be starting my search again and I am sure I'll be calling on you helpful HHO people to assist!

Thanks

Bernster

Visit site
Sad news, sorry about that but best to walk away, not worth the trouble and potential heartache/cost later There will be others don't despair!

soulfull

Visit site
oh no that is a shame

however when I was looking a few years ago, the horse I thought I really really wanted failed the vet. Then when I found Micah I was so glad it had failed as he was even nicer :D

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Thats bad luck and so disappointing.

However, its what vettings are for and if its any consolation, I bought one that passed a full vet only to turn up with lameness issues a few days after purchase.

Must be disappointing for the seller too as she appeared quite genuine didn't she ?

Good luck with your continued search.

TicTac

Visit site
That's a shame but you will have saved yourself a lot of problems in the long run.

Just out of interest at what point in the vetting did she fail? At the first trot up or after a period of work? Hope you find something suitable.

paulineh

Visit site
I'm sorry she failed the vet again.

My friend has had 6 vetted and 5 failed. The 6th one bucked throughout the ridden part, so she decided not to have him.

Somewhere out there is the hor for you as there is one for my friend.

Venevidivici

Visit site
It's for the bed and when you find the one you have,you won't look back at all:) However tempting it is tho,dont buy stuff until it's a definite-so much can happen with horses,even before you've actually paid for them!

HazyXmas

Visit site
So sorry for you, it's very disappointing.

I just wanted to share a friends very recent experience. She had her daughter's 13.2 pc pony for sale, some wonderful people came to see her & wanted her. She failed their 5 stage vetting. Vet thought possibly pelvis problem so friend got very good back person out to have a look at her. Two weeks later, friend then pays for another 2 stage vetting, she fails again. Very disappointing all round. The odd thing is that they have had this pony for 7 years & i have know it all of that time, it's never had a lame day!

Anyway, it has gone to these people on a three month loan with a view to buy. They are having a wonderful time with her & will hopefully choose to continue with the purchase at the end of the trial.

Flibble

www.annamason-art.co.uk
Well GLW I had a horse fail the vetting in feb. planned to revet but two weeks later she had improved but wasn't sound.

As a result I tried another horse a month later he is now mine (3.5 months in) he is absolutely fantastic and I am now so glad I didn't get the mare that failed. She was stunning but not meant to be. The new boy? Well he damn near well perfect!

Mince Pie

Visit site
What did it fail the vet on? (obv lameness but what kind?) My cob failed on a flexion but I bought him anyway - 5 1/2 years later and he hasn't had a days lameness yet!

GLW

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies! She trotted lame right at the end after the rest after the work, which is exactly what happened last time. Looks to be right foreleg. Again, unfortunately I wasn't there during the vetting as I had a work crisis so I am not sure exactly what happened. The vet was actually most concerned that this was not showing as lameness throughout, but only after work and rest, which made her concerned that it could be an underlying thing (last time the male vet thought she had just had a minor injury during the vetting, but vet felt this would have shown up throughout, not just at the last stage). I am no kind of veterinary expert so I have no idea what it could be.

I agree with you all that walking away is the right thing (even though I'm devastated) I just can't take the risk. It is particularly hard as the seller is lovely and seems absolutely genuine. It's a lovely mare and I had a great feeling about her but... c'est la vie.

I'm glad to hear from those of you who have had similar experiences and gone on to find great horses. I'll try not to lose hope! I can't wait to finally post pictures of my horse on here.

SO1

Visit site
I had one fail a vetting too but in hindsight it was all for the best as I then found an even better pony who I have now had for nearly 5 years and he is wonderful I feel very lucky that the first one failed the vetting now. Sometimes it all turns out for the best in the end.