Update from the girl who is 'ruining her horse' part 2

Lennyfan

Visit site
My goodness, can't your girl jump?!? Having just watched your first clip & your second, well done you! You must be so proud. Plus really can't believe people on here were so sanctimonious and judgmental (and clearly wrong!) before. Glad to see you've proved the miseries wrong! Really hope you keep on progressing.

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Your determination is a credit to you. I'm not looking where your hands are, or how you have your feet, I can see someone who is giving her soul to her horse in order to achieve a common goal, and that is for you both to become a team, and it's certainly coming!

Well done, and look back on this if things go 'off' again, you will know it's just a glitch, and you will get here again.

Looking forward to seeing some more soon!

:D

Could not say it better! Well done you. It is hard when you have a horse that everyone else feels is a write off, I have been there, all you can do is keep the faith! You did that and you've reaped the rewards!
FDC

bumblelion

Visit site
Well done! Iv got an idxwb and they are the most stubborn things out there!! You've certainly clicked and are knowing how to get the best out of her! As for the hands, I'd second the neck strap! That way you can concentrate on your seat and pushing her forward without sending mixed messages. So pleased for you and she's gorgeous!!!

Trot_On_Dressage

Visit site
Well done to you. You must be very happy right now. :) And yes, sometimes it is the bloody horse! Although obviously you have to eliminate every possible cause. Sometimes people on here like to jump on the cruel bandwagon, just ignore them.

I didn't see your post the first time you posted but watched it now and she looks like a very strong willed lady! Although the video was hard to watch in parts i really liked the way you didnt loose your temper with her. A lesser person would have been very tempted to give her a bloomin good clout (me included!) :)

I had a mare very similar to her in size and temp. I persevered with her for 4 years before i decided enough was enough! We were trying to do dressage tho and she just never relaxed, always trying to bog off with you even in trot (although she did it in a lovely outline!) She did improve but not to the extent i wanted.

Tammytoo

Visit site
I've just watched the original video for the first time (what a moo!) and then read about and watched the New Improved Darcy.

All I can say is BL--DY WELL DONE!! I found myself applauding at the end!

She really is a gorgeous girl though - I think the suggestions of showing and dressage are spot on.

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
well done you :D you certainly have worked very hard and it looks like it finally paid off last weekend. She looked like she was having fun and you too!! You should be very, very proud xx

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Really well done.

I didn't see a lot wrong with your riding in the first video. You just hadn't found your partnership and she was a strong stroppy mare!

Looks like you have a partnership well on the way now. Once you have that with a mare they are lovely - I always think that they give you all or nothing depending on their opinion of you!!

ladyt25

Visit site
Not seen any of your previous threads or seen the video before but it just looked to me like an inexperienced horse who was lacking confidence. I didn't really see any really bad behaviour or reactions. You have obviously come far and it looks like you have changed your bit, is that right?

If I was to say one thing - and it has already improved since the first vid - is to think about your position approaching the fences and trying to maintain her canter in between - in general a horse will jump much better from a balanced canter (which she seems to have) as opposed to a trot. You need to sit a bit deeper and keep hold on the approach to the fences and keep your leg on. This helps give the horse confidence and means it prevents you from 'dropping' her at the fence. It the early video I would say practically every time she stops, you are leaning forwards so she is not getting any confidence from you.

You are having lessons as you said but I woul definitely think about your seat and tell yourslef to "sit back, sit back, keep hold!" as you're approaching the fence - I am expert at this as my horse lost his confidence at one stage and starting stopping - even though he will tow me towards a fence, he would then chicken out.

Onwards and upwards I say - you can only improve!

Switchthehorse

darcyandme.wordpress.com
B;**dy hell didnt expect quite such a reaction!! Thanks so much everyone for such lovely messages :) made my night!!

Been a tough old four years with D, spinal boards, broken bones, persistent embarrassment whether stressaging, hunting (dont ask!! see previous post!) or jumping but someone once said to me 'she is an alpha mare and when you get her on your side one day she will do anything for you'. I am not there yet but hope to be one day.

Agree with sitting back and am getting better at this, and co-ercing is definitely better than beating for my girl at least. I have done two showing shows with her and got reasonable feedback, and I am hoping to work up the levels at stressage (still prelim-ing!)but she needs heaps more balance and more power etc... long way to go and apparently she has another 2 inches in her yet!!??

Anyway thank you everyone, i hope someone read the post and thought 'if she can do it I will carry on'!! If its any consolation to anyone it quite literally has been A&E once a month for a number of months and people dismissing me left right and centre but quite tragically as an old spinster of 34 she is stuck with me whether she likes it or not and I absolutely adore her :)

Dizzle

Visit site
I think maybe a bit more time spent on flat work as your hands and legs (especially in spurs) look too unstable to be jumping, to me it looks as if your mare has learnt to ignore you rather than to work with you.

Sorry I wouldn't be happy with that at all.

Yes, I also have a difficult horse to jump and I had everything checked on a regular basis, gut feeling told me something was still wrong and it turns out the saddle that I had fitted to him, reflocked to him 5 months ago and partially reflocked to fit him last month still doesn't fit.

Your case to me looks like rider error not horse.

onceuponatime

Visit site
Well done. You have done remarkably well with Darcy. Ignore any comments regarding your riding style. I thought she looked happy, comfortable and was certainly taking you to the fences - unlike your first video. Perseverance pays off and you certainly have not done her any harm!

Switchthehorse

darcyandme.wordpress.com
Thanks Dizzle thought it was all going too well!!

I am sure I am to blame for a lot of things so agree with you 95%

I have had three different saddlers, 4 different physios/chiros etc and 3 different vets, gut tells me everything is ok, she is just a little bit of a terror.

But I agree, I can get better, i have ridden for 30 years and in the old days you didnt have endless lessons you just got on and did, now I know I need finessing and fully intend to!!

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Jesstickle

Visit site
I think maybe a bit more time spent on flat work as your hands and legs (especially in spurs) look too unstable to be jumping, to me it looks as if your mare has learnt to ignore you rather than to work with you.

Sorry I wouldn't be happy with that at all.

Yes, I also have a difficult horse to jump and I had everything checked on a regular basis, gut feeling told me something was still wrong and it turns out the saddle that I had fitted to him, reflocked to him 5 months ago and partially reflocked to fit him last month still doesn't fit.

Your case to me looks like rider error not horse.

Just down right rude. If you want to offer CC then offer CC rather than be obnoxious. Why don't you post a vid of your riding so OP can see how it should be done? :)

Jesstickle

Visit site
Well honestly DS. The OP took plenty of flack the first time round, was brave enough to come back and update us and someone has to come along and kick diplomacy in the teeth :rolleyes:

There are ways of saying things after all...

Firewell

Visit site
Blimin well done!! She's obviously not easy but she is BEAUTIFUL! Well done for persevering, she will reward you 10 fold I'm sure.

I actually disagree with 'holding' a horse into a fence but regardless of what I think, what you are doing in your lessons is obviously working.

Sitting up intonation fence of course but I have always been taught to keep a soft contact and let the horse make it's own decision. Holding a horse can hold it off the fence and takes ownership of the fence away from the horse.

To be honest you look like you rode lovely in the 2nd vid.

Either way well done, honestly :).

SuseP

Visit site
Nice videos Mrs! thought I recognised the schools...Now if you could just sort out beano for me that would be awesome...!

Switchthehorse

darcyandme.wordpress.com
Hey SuseP!! I aint getting on that beast for anyone :)

Hooray someone who knows what a terror D is and that my lower leg isnt too wobbly to be jumping!!!? Hopefully!!!! x :)

All I can say to 'my critic' is if you had to wait 4 years for a clear round you wouldnt care if you had gone round backwards, leading your horse, hopping in a sack, blindfold, semi naked, carrying a tray of sherries, smoking a fag, with one leg!! You would still and i believe RIGHTFULLY be chuffed!! Waggly hands, wobbly lower legs and rider error 'n all!!! :)

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Well honestly DS. The OP took plenty of flack the first time round, was brave enough to come back and update us and someone has to come along and kick diplomacy in the teeth :rolleyes:

There are ways of saying things after all...

I quite agree, but i'm too tired tonight to reply in a diplomatic way to the negative post we are conversing about....in fact....i'm off for a bath now...

See ya!

:D XXX

whisp&willow

Visit site
WELL DONE YOU!!! it takes a lot to stick with a brat and persevere! i know because ive ridden my fair share over the years! :p

i never saw the first video until this thread, and she struck me as taking the total mick out of you!

you never lost your rag, and just kept on trying. :) looks like your flat work is realy paying off! well done on your clear round, and i hope you continue to improve together as a team!

you should be very proud of yourself. all the best for your future with her. ;)

xx

Dizzle

Visit site
I think if the OP had of posted the video without showing the first video this thread would have been utterly different.

Sorry but I think it's unfair on the horse to have legs with spurs flapping like that (unless they are dummy spurs then I apologise) and you need to work on relaxing your elbows more which will help your hands, think about going with the movement of the horses head more.