Update: Horse Buying Woes

RedDevlin

Visit site
Hey, I thought some of you might like an update from my last miserable post...i ummed and ahh'd for a while. In the end I followed my head and didn't buy the TB that failed the vetting. Instead I have ended up with everything I wasn't looking for...

I have a 3 year old 16.1 (and growing by Christ) SF x WB/TB mare called Missy. The owner of my livery yard bred her and delivered her as a foal to a lady in Newbury. Her owner messaged the breeder saying she was thinking of selling and would she know anyone. She has been sat on and hacked out at a walk but that is it. So I took her out on a hack at walk, steering and brakes were non-existant but they have done no long reining or lunging with her so we are taking it right back to basics and starting from scratch, but we saw a pram, cyclist and plent of traffic on our walk and she was so laid back. She was slightly stubborn about loading on the trailer but travelled the four hours home like a dream and settled in her box right away.

I've tried to loose school her...unfortunately she is too clever and knows im not worth moving away from, so we have branched out to lunging and is taking to it like a duck to water despite horses squealing and arguing in the field next door. Today my farrier was shoeing my friends horses so i tied her up next to his van for her to hear the noises... she didn't bat an eyelid. He hammered and then grinded the shoes and polished and drilled them and she tried to itch her hum on his van...then I washed her legs down with the hose. So far, nothing has phased her. She also did some poles today and no dramas there either. She is an absolute dream...and I'm so in love! Didn't think I'd be one of those people who can't actually believe the horse that they have, super excited and any tips for 'must do's' with youngsters, let me know :)

I don't know how to upload pictures onto here but for those that are curious, below is a link... let me know if it doesn't work :)
https://www.facebook.com/lisa.jadee...1073741860.100003753166929&type=3&pnref=story

Bernster

Visit site
Out of curiosity just how different is this from what you went looking for? I didn't really follow my list last year either! Hope you have lots of fun.

RedDevlin

Visit site
Out of curiosity just how different is this from what you went looking for? I didn't really follow my list last year either! Hope you have lots of fun.

I wanted something a bit older that had been and done and seen more. Not necessarily a world beater or anything impressive but something i felt safe with after my last boy who was a bit highly strung for me.
The one thing i didn't compromise on was that i feel safe with her, on the ground and on board. Having to start a youngster and do everything for the first time wasnt on my list though!

What were you looking for and what did you get?

Bernster

Visit site
I wanted something a bit older that had been and done and seen more. Not necessarily a world beater or anything impressive but something i felt safe with after my last boy who was a bit highly strung for me.
The one thing i didn't compromise on was that i feel safe with her, on the ground and on board. Having to start a youngster and do everything for the first time wasnt on my list though!

What were you looking for and what did you get?

Similar,in both respects! I ended up with a 4yo turning 5 so not quite so young but def not what I had planned on. No regrets though, he's far exceeded anything I could have wanted, apart from being a bit of a thug on the ground!

rachk89

Visit site
Similar,in both respects! I ended up with a 4yo
turning 5 so not quite so young but def not what I had planned on. No regrets though, he's far exceeded anything I could have wanted, apart from being a bit of a thug on the ground!

My 7 year old is like that but lovely to ride. Yard manager used to not like him until she saw how quiet he is to ride.

Good luck with your mare she sounds lovely. :)