Update on Honey

debradley

Visit site
Well the top vet came out yesterday. He is happy to say that he doesn't feel that there will be any permanent damage. However, the skin hasn't retaken (he did use a proper word for it but I can't remember); so basically on the really bad tears the skin will have to die then they will trim it up and we will then have to wait for the skin to reform over the open wounds. There are two he is really concerned about and that is the bad one on the inside left thigh although he thinks this will heal quickest; it's her right fore that he says will take a very long time as most of the skin on the fetlock down the to coronet will be lost and apparently anything below the knee is really slow to regrow!

However, went down to stables tonight to tend to her only to find a really poorly babe, so called the emergency vet. She's gone into toxic shock and has massive infections although so far not in any joints from what they can tell, just where all the skin is dying. Vet has injected her with really powerful painkillers which should hold her overnight and bring her heart rate back down and is coming back out tomorrow. Then we just have to wait and see it's down to Honey now only she can win the fight, but she's very stoic and feeling very sorry for herself; I don't blame her. She actually looks worse now than in the pictures I posted earlier.

I'm so bloody angry.

catembi

Visit site
Oh sorry to hear that. I know exactly how you feel as Cat once had a v nasty incident with barbed wire & did a lot of damage.

Fingers crossed that she's soon on the mend. (FWIW, Cat ended up 100% sound & back bsja/bd-ing, & virtually unblemished unless you knew what you were looking for.)

Shantor1

Visit site
So very sorry to hear about this horrific accident (I read your previous thread). Just a suggestion but have you thought about smearing some Manuka honey on her wounds. This has powerful antibacterial and healing properties. I've fed it to my older horse when he had bad infection in the past and used it on mud fever with success. I'm sure I've read past threads about others using it, but don't quote me.

Wishing her all the best healing vibes I can. Hope she recovers soon.

Tia

Visit site
I'm so sorry to read this; I hate shock; I always think it's probably one of the worst side-effects of a real trauma
frown.gif

Try to keep her spirits up and I have my fingers very tightly crossed for Honey.

Tia x

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
Goodness you are both really going through it. I hope Honey recovers soon, you are definitely in the worst period now. When my boy broke his leg he got worse before he got better. I'll keep everything crossed for you and Honey x

D

Donkeymad

Keeping everything crossed for Honey, I hope she is soon much better. Take care of yourself too, she needs you.

seabiscuit

Visit site
Oh Debs I do feel for you. I also feel extremely angry and also very sad on your behalf. Fingers crossed that this is just the worst stage to be pulled through and that once she's through this things will only get better. Hope that tomorrow is a better day and Im sure that Honey is a little fighter..

martyna

Visit site
shes come this far for you im sure shell pull through with all the love you are giving her fingers massivly crossed for you xx

Tia

Visit site
Sadly nothing is sure with horrific injuries like this; particularly when shock is involved. All Debs can do is her very best for the mare.....and hope like mad that Honey survives.

debradley

Visit site
Thank you folks, I think if she makes it through the night and I can get her walking again tomorrow then we stick a chance. The worst wounds are open again now and we are flushing them twice a day. If we can contain the infection and get her through the shock hopefully we'll be ok. But unfortunately the dying skin does have to rot which is a breeding ground for infection so I think we knew it was coming. I don't yet know about the manuca honey, I know it's brilliant stuff cause I've used it before. I think we just need to get her through this bit and then reassess. I'll ask the vet. Going to sign off now, feeling very down. Will let you all know tomorrow. Thanks for your support.

seabiscuit

Visit site
P.S Have you got any homeopathic stuff with you? Rescue Remedy for shock.. hang on there is other stuff for shock I will look it up. Homeopathy is great and doesnt interfere with any medicines you might be giving.

debradley

Visit site
Morning folks - well good news she's seems to have come out the other side. The muscle spasms, twitching and shaking seems to have subsided this morning and she's looking much better. She's walking in a fashion very stilted and stiff and a bit like bambie, but it's one leg in front of the other so that's walking to me. She's having a little mooch around the yard this morning (i've never tied up and locked so many gates in my life, just incase), but she is happily munching all the blackberries off the brambles on the other side of the fence and can even reach the yo's pear tree (he says he doesn't mind, she can help herself). All the bruising is making it's way out as well now so she has serious lumps and bumps everywhere. I'd really appreciate it if anyone can recommend any alternative remedies that I can give her to help her through this and what quantities they should be given in; I know arnica is very good for bruising, but don't know how much to give and if it's ok with antibiotics and bute. Vets are also going to top her up every couple of days with a more powerful painkiller to numb things for her. I can't thank everyone enough for your support, even just being able to talk it through helps. The manuka honey will be ok to use once everything has died off and been cut away and the remaining stitching removed, so at the moment vets have given me some stuff called intrasite gel to use.

mollymurphy

Visit site
Oh that's brilliant that she's better this morning!
grin.gif

Sorry, i'm no good with alternative therapies - only ever used hydrotherapy spas. They're amazing though! Really help to speed up the healing process.

Yes, intrasite gel is fantastic stuff. When Murph got battered by another horse, he was covered in the stuff! He also shattered (like PROPER shattered!) the splint bone in a hind leg, which was removed in the end. He was bandaged for 7 months, which led to a lot of the skin on the front of his leg dying. So the surgeon at Leahurst had to cut it all off and leave a big open wound. There was talk of skin grafts for a while, but in the end her didnt need them - healed surprisingly fast. He was left with a bald black scar down the front of his leg, but that didnt matter. He never got an infection either. I really hope it's the same with Honey (once she's over this one!)

Good luck.

Lou. x

custard

Visit site
OH good, breathes sigh of relief. Intrasite gel is excellent, so far as putting stuff on the wounds stick with it for the time being as you may have proud flesh to contend with and it's a bugger to keep in check.

You can use any homeopathic remedy without problems with conventional painkillers/antibiotics. Try not to use too many as they can 'cancel' each other out tho.

Aconite 6c for shock, acute fever,anxiety. Arnica 6c for bruising tendon and ligament injuries. A dose of each four times a day should be about right at the moment. Try not to touch the pills and put them in a piece of bread or apple for her. Also avoid giving them with feed especially if it contains any stong herbs like garlic as it makes them less effective.

Thuja is used for proud flesh but don't start it just yet. Its great that she's pottering in the yard and nibbling the hedges can you cut some long grass for her as a treat?

Visit site
hi deb, i hope honey will have a fast recovery and lets hope she is over the worst now.
thoughts are with you both every day.

rubyred

Visit site
Ask your vet about laser therapy it can really decrease healing time by encouraging skin regrowth. Hope the improvement continues

SusieJane

Visit site
I've just read your original thread, and now this updated one... OMG, poor honey... and poor you.

Haven't got anything to add re: alternative medicine, so can only send healing vibes... to you both.

Can't imagine the shock and horror for you, keep your chin up hun, and hope you're both feeling much, much better soon.

Keep us updated xx

debradley

Visit site
Hi folks - Honey very poorly now. She's having to fight massive infections and is very tired. Vets are also now not sure if something dodgy hasn't happened to her stifle on right hind as this is seizing up more each day, or whether it is just severe brusing and the amount of weight it is having to take because of the other legs. Vets are in daily contact now, but they say a certain amount comes down to how much she wants to fight.

De

Stoxx

Visit site
I've just read both of your posts, I wish you all the luck in the world with nursing her back to health. I hope she finds the strength to fight this.

It's just awful.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hi folks - Honey very poorly now. She's having to fight massive infections and is very tired. Vets are also now not sure if something dodgy hasn't happened to her stifle on right hind as this is seizing up more each day, or whether it is just severe brusing and the amount of weight it is having to take because of the other legs. Vets are in daily contact now, but they say a certain amount comes down to how much she wants to fight.

De

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG - (((((huge hugs for you and honey))))), you must be absolutely beside yourself. I wish you both strength to fight.