update on horse physio missed- x-rays today

jalisco

Visit site
you can see my old post aout my horse in my history.
well went to vet hospital to day and horse worked up did flexions on both back legs- both passed. walked and trotted up and back palpated - back def in pain so xrayed.
45 minutes later!!!! - vet came back and said that not Kising spines - so relieved!!!
However- def something wrong in rump area so he recommendending a bone scan/scintigraphy in the next couple of weeks to find root of problem- thinks it may be sacro iliac SI.
Didnt do an ultrasound as he didnt think it was a supra-spinous ligament strain or damage as he wasnt sore under the saddle area??
Only the rump area.
So he wants to do this expensive treatment- 1500-2000££!!!
dont know what to think really. My trainers said that its highly unlikely that he would pass flexions tests and suffer from SI.
Trainer cant understand why bone scan before ultrasound ??? Money??!!

Can anone shed any light on this?
thanks

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site

That's diagnosis - not treatment.

And if it was SI - I would definately have expected some problem to manifest after the flexion test.

applecart14

Visit site
you can see my old post aout my horse in my history.
well went to vet hospital to day and horse worked up did flexions on both back legs- both passed. walked and trotted up and back palpated - back def in pain so xrayed.
45 minutes later!!!! - vet came back and said that not Kising spines - so relieved!!!
However- def something wrong in rump area so he recommendending a bone scan/scintigraphy in the next couple of weeks to find root of problem- thinks it may be sacro iliac SI.
Didnt do an ultrasound as he didnt think it was a supra-spinous ligament strain or damage as he wasnt sore under the saddle area??
Only the rump area.
dont know what to think really. My trainers said that its highly unlikely that he would pass flexions tests and suffer from SI.
Trainer cant understand why bone scan before ultrasound ??? Money??!!

Can anone shed any light on this?
thanks

http://www.applesnoats.com/sacro.pdf

read this link, very interesting

galaxy

Visit site
My mare passed a flexion test and every other in hand test, but was diagnosed with a SI.

She was only very very slightly off under saddle. No pain on back when pressed (although apparently that is unusal).

She had a bone scan (cost £1500) and found uptake in sacroiliac and hocks. Hocks was secondary to Sacro. He nerve blocked the sacro area and not only did she come sound under saddle but her whole way of going changed for the better.

Is your horse not insured?

ducktails

Visit site
I have recently spent ££££'s on diagnostics with a large equine hospital. IMO they are quick to use one of the expensive diagnostic techniques but slow to use others.. why? The cynical me says that it's maybe something to do with how they are funded, maybe it is just something to do with the fact that everyone insured these days and these methods can provide conclusive results..

HOWEVER.. SI damage is hard to see most horses have some sort of radio uptake in the region.. my horse was bone scanned and then to confirm it was rectally examined. After reading many many articles on si this is apparently an underused technique.

What would I do in your position? Ask them to do full lameness work up, ridden and on the lunge.. does the horse portray allthe problems of a horse with si damage? then ask for a rectal examination.. they can feel changes, thickening through this.. ask what is the likely treatment? I am guessing it will probably be either rest alone or injections.. I would maybe try this before returning to bonescanning.. Feel like u have a voice though, these big vet hospitals are very good at making you feel u have no option, one even told me there is no point in sending my mare there if I am not willing to bone scan which is of course not true... These places hold the expertise that your local vet may not have, its not all about fancy expensive equipment but more about the eyes. Chances are the vet see's say 30 horses a week, if she /. he thinks it is si it probably is, if treatment is rest anyway then what do u have to lose from not bonescanning?