Update on my horse

rachk89

Visit site
Got a positive update on my horse that might encourage people that are seeing no end in sight for medical issues on their horse.

Long story short, mine had issues for ages before he got finally diagnosed. He got diagnosed with ks, operated on and we thought he was better. Wrong. He went lame, operated on again in his stifles and diagnosed with chondromalacia. He went on rest for about a month and a half and I put him back into work very gradually since August.

Yesterday, I ran through an intro dressage test with him. It wasn't a competition, I'm just practicing with him to maybe compete online, but we still did it. That's with the horse who my vet thought had broken his leg, he was that lame. She wasn't sure he would be ridden again and if he did only in walk probably.

I still have confidence issues. I still expect him to bolt sideways, which in my defence he has done once since I started riding again but he spooked at a crow it wasn't pain reacting. But we are both getting there, albeit slowly.

Try not to give up hope. I've done that so many times through this, thinking I'm gonna sell him or worse have to put him to sleep. He's such a good horse and I'm really glad that he is happy again, although he is still the greedy sod that steals food from other horses feed buckets in the morning. :p

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thank you for the update! I remember your posts from the early days when people on here were saying it sounded like a pain response and the people advising you on the ground were saying it wasn't.

Well done for persevering. Your confidence will grow in time as you got used to him not reacting in pain.

Bernster

Visit site
It’s tough when they have multiple things going on and rehab is a bit up and down. But glad things are looking up for you well done for sticking at it and working out what the issues were. Good luck!

rachk89

Visit site
Glad to hear that it sometimes ends well, even after going through so many troubles. Good luck with the dressage test, and potential online competitions.

Yeah it does sometimes. He may not be sound for life though, may not jump again, or he may be absolutely fine. They don't seem to know much about this condition he has and I'm going by gut instinct at the moment on handling him. Like he's staying outside for as long as possible this winter until I really have to bring him in over night. Usually he'd be stabled by now over night for winter, but I think keeping him moving is more important even though this isn't really arthritis, but that's the condition it's closest to so I'm treating it like arthritis. Sadly though I live in scotland, once the snow hits he'll have to come in, we are too high up to leave him out. If he was a native I would, but he's half warmblood and will rapidly lose weight if it's too cold for him.

oldie48

Visit site
Thanks for posting this, I have often thought about you and your horse an wondered how you were getting on. TBh i thought when you first started posting that he was just messing you about. I was wrong and he was so lucky that you were prepared to listen to him. I wish you every good fortune for the future and that he stays sound and happy.

rachk89

Visit site
Thanks for posting this, I have often thought about you and your horse an wondered how you were getting on. TBh i thought when you first started posting that he was just messing you about. I was wrong and he was so lucky that you were prepared to listen to him. I wish you every good fortune for the future and that he stays sound and happy.

Well to be fair every vet, farrier, physio and saddler that saw him (and there were a lot) could find nothing wrong with him. He showed no pain, I even had one vet leaning heavily on his back and he didn't even seem to notice. Then just suddenly snapped and showed the pain. But we had no idea there was an issue with his hind legs. Could never have guessed that. It's taken 8 months this year alone of surgeries, rehab and rest but he's now much better and happier.