Update on my spooky spotty girl......

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
Hi there,

For those of you who commented and gave me suggestions on my post about 10 days ago http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=466113 I thought that I would update you on what has happened since.

I spoke to my vet at the beginning of last week and he did seem to think that it would be the floaters causing the problems but he wanted to check her over just to be sure. I have a lesson every other week at my vets so last Friday I made an appt for a top to toe check over. They have got a lot of building works going on at the vets at the moment but she was not bothered at all by it, she did give a gorgeous coloured a lead around the menage as it was spooking at everything, my girl however didn't bat an eyelid!!

Unfortunatley my vet got called out on an emergency but the main partner checked her over instead. He had a really good look at her eyes, checked her all over, gave her an internal to check her ovaries and others bits (she was NOT chuffed at that!) and couldn't find anything at all. He said that he was quite baffled but we ran some bloods to rule some other things out and he gave me an Anxiety Mix to try. She has been on a loading dose for a week, so she had some in her tea on Friday night and breakfast Saturday morning. When I rode Saturday she didn't spook once :eek: and she has spooked this week just a handful of times and to be honest they have all but one been justified. I am so surprised. I have now halved the dose and we will see how it continues.

Her bloods came back and showed a very slightly raised liver enzyme level and she is very slightly aneamic, everything else was fine though. The vet didn't seem overly worried but has suggested that we run the bloods again in a couple of months to check them.

I am really happy that my old girl seems to be coming back again. We'll just have to see how it goes and take it from there.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and advise, its greatly appreciated

Tricksy xx

Tickles

Visit site
So, do you think it is the calming mix/slight imbalances or just that you are now happier that she has been checked over?

Really pleased for you as I remember you sounding quite worried about her on the previous post.

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
Hi Tickles,

I was worried, to be honest I was worried that it was a tumour in her brain. May sound a bit over the top but she had a tumour removed from her 3rd eyelid about 5 years ago and I was concerned it had spread there. The vet could'nt find any evidence of this and she doesn't have enough sypmtoms of this either thank goodness.

I am pretty sure it is the calmer, I think that this has taken the edge off of her getting freaked out every time a floater moves moves in her eyes. It can not be coincidence, the difference in her is too stark.....either that or she is worried she's going to get the vets arm shoved up her jacksy every time she does it!!!

The plan is to leave her on the calmer for a few months, take her off it gradually and see what happens then. The slight aneamia should be making her slightly sluggish, which she is to be honest but I put this down to her hardly having any hard feed. It was cut down as she is getting a little too porky and the rule out too much protein in her diet making her spooky too.

If she stays calm then I will have to look at her feed again as she is damn hard work in the school!! Its just a juggling act all the time!!

Thanks for the reply x

Trot_On_Dressage

Visit site
rule out too much protein in her diet making her spooky too.

Hope your pony gets better.

Just wanted to add tho that protein is not a cause of excitable behaviour as it is not used as a primary energy source by healthy horses. Protein is mainly used to provide building blocks for growth, muscle development and repair of damaged tissues.