Pictures Update on Rex :)

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Thought I'd do an update on Rex.
He's lost all of the weight now that he needed to lose and I literally haven't done a thing..!!!! Before he came here he was very fat, stabled overnight and fed bucket feeds. Since he's been here he has lived out with ad Lib forage but no hard feed whatsoever.

I need to get some up to date pics but he now looks the right weight but needs condition so not sure if there is anything I should start him on food wise now as he starts under saddle in 6 weeks..???
He's currently a bit feral as I've just left him to do horse stuff over the last 2 months as the weather has been so shit but will start to take him out for walks in hand etc at the end of this month. I figure if he's seen our hacking routes a few times in hand he will know what to expect under saddle..?? Should I do this in a rope halter or bridle..??
He's still a fairly good lad, just needs reminding of his manners etc.
He's had a physio out who says he's in pretty good shape. He's not quite as good on his off side but she says this will be down to the old splint injury on his near fore and will improve with work so nothing to be concerned about. She's coming out again around 4 weeks into his training. Dentist and saddle fitter both due over the next two weeks.
Also what the hell do I do with that mane..??? It's bloody awful ?‍♀️?‍♀️

Leo Walker

Visit site
I cant see the photos for some reason. They are blurry with a big logo on? But I'd be tempted to give him s balancer, something like equimins in a token feed. I like pink mash and/or grass nuts and linseed, but it doesn't really matter if its only a token. He may well be lacking some protein given the time of year.

As for the mane, pull it. I cant see well enough but dont remember him being cobby enough to hog, but could well be as he matures.

Is he mouthed with a bit? If so I'd stick the headcollar on over his bridle and lead from that, only using the bridle if you need to. If hes not mouthed then it would be headcollar only for me.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Isn't he the sweetest looking horse?!?

The mane looks quite thin, I'd comb it and cut it to your preferred length, or pull if he likes it.

I would always lead a horse that big out and about in a bridle and bit. Have fun!

Last edited:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i would say bridle for any horse you dont know, have the reins over his neck and twist as you would if lunging, and i would have a lunge line on just in case he leaps about, also make sure you wear gloves and more importantly a hat. he does look lots better now he has lost weight, i would start by giving him a balancer and maybe some chaff as he doesnt look like he needs to lose any more as we still have some time before spring...

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Thanks. I definitely don't want him to lose any weight now or we will be going in the opposite direction. I was going to go for grass nuts, speedi beet and chaff....would a balancer be better then do you think..??

As for his mane, its actually really thick, the pics dont do it justice, but it's a bloody mess ?? There's not a chance in hell of me hogging it??? but I may get someone to come and pull it tidy for me. I'm terribly cack handed so I don't think he would appreciate my efforts at it ???

As soon as the dentist has been I'll start him with a bridle out walking. He has been bitted around 18 months ago but not since so I'd be happier if he mouth is looked at first. Is it worth getting a bit consultant out at this stage..?? I was just going to use a full cheek snaffle with lozenge.

Chuffy99

Visit site
I cant see the photos for some reason. They are blurry with a big logo on? But I'd be tempted to give him s balancer, something like equimins in a token feed. I like pink mash and/or grass nuts and linseed, but it doesn't really matter if its only a token. He may well be lacking some protein given the time of year.

As for the mane, pull it. I cant see well enough but dont remember him being cobby enough to hog, but could well be as he matures.

Is he mouthed with a bit? If so I'd stick the headcollar on over his bridle and lead from that, only using the bridle if you need to. If hes not mouthed then it would be headcollar only for me.
LW, I had the same problem with photos but by tapping on one it brought them all up clear
Looking good and healthy SLH

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i would just give a balancer and chaff as you can increase the chaff more or less as much as you like and it shouldnt make him too lively. i would avoid any heating feed at the beginning until you know how he will behave on walks. the bit sounds fine and you could have a headcollar on over the top and mainly lead from that unless he gets too strong, then you have the option of using the bit...

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
SLH please find out if he minds having his name pulled before you let anyone else do it. If he hates it, it's very unfair for someone to do it all in one session. If at all.

My TB has a thick mane, especially for a TB. I comb it into some kind of submission several times a week, and cut it to length.