Update on the out of control terrorist!

Bens_Mum

Visit site
Just thought I would let everyone know that the terrorist not only is still alive but no longer on eviction row!

I doubled the walks and all bad behavior has ceased. There has been no plucking of the other dog, no barking and the generally odd obsessive behavior has stopped.

In an ideal world I would not be walking quite so many miles at day but we are all looking thinner and life is much more peaceful.

I honestly cannot believe that a 9 year old terrier needs as much exercise as if clearly does. When she was with me at work I never noticed her going any great distance but maybe she did.

So we now do 45-1hr in the morning and the same in the afternoon and it's brisk walking up fairly big hills as we are in Scotland. Carrying the 24lb child on my back has definitely meant more mince pies can be consumed anyway.

Just wanted to say thanks to all who said she was being awful it made me feel much better. She will never be ideal with the child but then they are in the boot room when it's rampaging for their own peace so it doesn't really matter.

maxapple

Visit site
Well done. My jrt gets a half hour walk before I go to work, then goes out with a dog walker in the daytime for 3 hours and gets another half hour walk when I'm home. Any less and he goes loopy. He's 9 too. My other one is 10 and won't be left at home alone so comes along on all the walls but would happily be snoozing on the sofa. Some days she trudges along next to me looking in despair at the mad little one running round in big circles in the park!

Bens_Mum

Visit site
Glad it's not just mine I couldn't believe such an old dog would need it! The other dog isn't so happy about her new exercise routine it's quite funny it's almost like she's saying not again!
Treadmill isn't the most daft idea I'm aching it's hard going everyday can't wait to get soaked in a bit!

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Just thought I would let everyone know that the terrorist not only is still alive but no longer on eviction row!

I doubled the walks and all bad behavior has ceased. There has been no plucking of the other dog, no barking and the generally odd obsessive behavior has stopped.

In an ideal world I would not be walking quite so many miles at day but we are all looking thinner and life is much more peaceful.

I honestly cannot believe that a 9 year old terrier needs as much exercise as if clearly does. When she was with me at work I never noticed her going any great distance but maybe she did.

So we now do 45-1hr in the morning and the same in the afternoon and it's brisk walking up fairly big hills as we are in Scotland. Carrying the 24lb child on my back has definitely meant more mince pies can be consumed anyway.

Just wanted to say thanks to all who said she was being awful it made me feel much better. She will never be ideal with the child but then they are in the boot room when it's rampaging for their own peace so it doesn't really matter.

What a fantastic outcome.

You have given me some hope! I have 2 JRTs age almost 4,, one sensible and very obedient, and the other who can be a nightmare. They are sisters.

When OH is away (Somehow this does seem to be a pattern/trigger, though it has happened when he walks them, too) walking them gets v difficult as the nightmare one will for no obvious reason turn on the other one. Time-wise walking separately is not necessarily an option.

I am going to try massively increasing the exercise.

Their recall is pants and we are surrounded by ivestock, so I use extending leads in our fields/woods - which is fine when one isn't attacking the other. But if she is in grouchy mode I have to put her on a short lead to prevent armageddon.

I now know why we always had Labradors when I was a kid ;)

ETS.... I like the treadmill idea. Mmm..!

Bellasophia

Visit site
When my children were very young,I had a terrier and a chi...like yours one dog was far more demanding...I used to walk miles with my boy in a push chair ,little terrier at the side running along and the chi used to either be in with the baby or on the shopping tray below the pram...worked a treat!

Bens_Mum

Visit site
Mine has been known to try and get in the basket underneath the pram!!

Walking is definitely they key it's a huge improvement not perfect but so much better I think she just needs to be 'busy'. Sadly no where we walk allows for a pushchair it's the carrying of the 24lb todler that makes things a bit more hard going but atleast the Christmas excess has been offset!