Update on Trakehner....

Nels

Visit site
Thanks again everyone for your help on my previous post about the sudden rearing problem my Trakehner gelding had started displaying.
I got an EDT out to look at his teeth on Monday and turns out the vet who rasped them last time had missed some hooks at the back and as a result his jaw was out of line and he could not move his jaw from left to right (i.e. grind). Hence when I asked for any contact it was causing him to have a headache/sore jaw. Needless to say I won't be using that vet again
mad.gif

I have ridden since the EDT came out and touch-wood he has not lifted his front legs up once! He is however still being a rather too sensitive ride for my liking so I still think we will unfortunately be parting ways....which is very sad after 2 years but I think he needs to go to an even more experienced home to continue his education
frown.gif
So if anyone knows of anyone wanting a 16.2hh project do let me know!
grin.gif

lochpearl

Visit site
Hey if you want to replace him with a 17.2 that doesn't rear then let me know!!!

Sorry to hear about your problems and hope you manage to sort them!!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I haven't read the other post, sorry to hear your poor lad has had a tough tooth time
frown.gif

Give him a little longer for him to settle down on the tooth front. He's got to get used to having his pegs where they should be, plus there'll be the learned reaction from when his jaw hurt.

The Dizz is having teeth issues. I've been told that as they've been an issue for a while (hence the daft behaviour), it's may well take a wee while, as in at least weeks, for her to settle.

Hope it goes well for you.

Nels

Visit site
Thanks for the posts - you are right and I know I should leave it longer until he settles down more on the tooth front..... I am going away on holiday for a few days so he can have a nice chill out in the field and then I will take things slowly.
But unfortunately I think he is just proving to be too much of a test for me after all - he is such a promising horse but i am in the final year of my PhD and a career to think about....I am just not sure I can give him the time he needs anymore which is very sad as I love him dearly.

Petalpoos

Visit site
I only just saw this, missed your original post. What happened? My trakehner mare suddenly started rearing 7 weeks ago after 3 years of very good behaviour (she is rising 7). Too scary for me as she went right up and smashed me in the face, so I sent her off to a trainer for some rehab. She was an absolute baggage for the first couple of days but gradually got better and now she's a model of good behaviour. Nothing wrong with her teeth - maybe it's a trakky trait?

LindaW

Visit site
Nope none of the ones I've had have ever lifted so much as an inch.

If I hadn't just taken on an unbroken trak mare, I'd have had him as a project.