***update***re quick query***piccies***

_daisy_

Visit site
righty ho - tried my best to get some half decent pics of the patches, but mum was working late and Ebi didnt really want to help me out.
So what do you all think now ive got photos?

forelock ones -

near side of her face/neck

off side of her face/neck

underneath her head

_daisy_

Visit site
nope nope and nope.well i say that. when I first bought her she rubbed the bottom half of her mane away but after 6months she stopped that completely and has never done it again in the 10 years ive had her. She has only ever had 1 patch of rain scald and that is on her spine/channel on the top of her backside - size of 10p - however this hasnt affected her for sometime now and it certainly isnt there now.

i had wondered whether she was hot with it turning mild and whether she had been bitten by midges but it just looks quite even on each side thats all

_jetset_

Visit site
It looks to me as though she is rubbing her head on something... but then she would have to have something causing the itching I guess? The one under her jaw (I think that is the last one) looks as though she has rubbed it on a fence post or something.

_daisy_

Visit site
i know what you mean i thought that but ive had a good look round and cant find anything that indicates that shes been using it to rub on. Also cant think what wouldve made her all of a sudden start rubbing. Im sure ive got some vetsovate cream lying around in my medical cupboard - might put some of that on in the morning to see if it helps any
just want to add: some of the photos makes the patches look like they are red but its just the flash on the camera. all of them are black skin.

Patches

Visit site
Could it be ringworm? Talis had a similar scab on his foreheard when I had him. Wasn't initially in a circle and he developed more areas of it. You can see it on this picture of him standing with me. It was healing by this time but had been very sore and oozy, bleeding even. Check out my posh footwear! LOL
IMG_1895.jpg

Imaverol from the vet, sprayed on every few days cleared it up in no time.

Irishcobs

Visit site
Lice maybe? Though they are fairly easy to spot. We have an old boy that gets them on his mane, tail and jaw line. He goes bald and rubs himself raw if he doesn't get treated.

ETA: we use Coopers Fly Repellent Plus stops him rubbing himself and gets rid of the lice.

_daisy_

Visit site
ive not seen anything moving on her so would like to say its def not lice but cant say for def as i havent got a clue as to what is causing it. Earliest I can fetch her up to the yard for a good clean up is Saturday morning as i work full time and theres no hard standing in the field

ets - found a new bottle of coopers in my cupboard yesterday so it might be making an appearance prior to the summer

_daisy_

Visit site
maybe but shes been in that field now for 2years ish and never had a problem with it.
Could it be a change with her hormones etc since she had Willow that could affect allergies etc?

_daisy_

Visit site
btw forgot to comment on your gorgeous footwear. Rigger boots are so bloody comfy - love my pair - i practically lived in them at the yard. never had them off unless i was riding. shame i threw them away but they were knackered - hmmm wondering if friend will get me a new pair if i ask her nicely???

_jetset_

Visit site
It could be yes... some women get things like this when they have had children so I don't see why horses can't get something similar. Could it be something like psoriosis (sp?) so sudocrem would help?

amzy

Visit site
My friends horse has just come up with bald patches like this all over his face and it looks really bad today. I don't know what she's doing about it yet as I haven't seen her for a few days. My horse is also developing tiny hairless patches on his face but nowhere near as bad as the other horse.
I know I'm not much help but will be interested to find out what the cause could be.

_daisy_

Visit site
dont be silly - its nice to know that Ebi isnt the only one with bald patches even if they arent to the same extent that shes got them.
hopefully ill find out soon whats causing it be it ringworm, dry itchy skin, lice etc

Patches

Visit site
Sorry, only just remembered this thread.

What about harvest mite? I had a horse who got it in the summer, but you can get it out of hay. Bailey only had them on his face too. Frontline sprayed into a gloved hand sorted him out. He just had hair loss too, no scabs.