Updated on Vettings and pads on feet

mustardsmum

Visit site
Wow. just wow.

I am so thankful you you all for your comments on this - I knew deep down I should walk away, but curiosity got the better of me, so I did call vet re the horse for sale that had had a "bit of lami" a few months ago. Only to be told what I suspected. He had bloods done a month or so ago - he's super high EMS, should be on a 3 month rehab, should certainly NOT be for sale and would not pass a vetting. Owner is in denial about what is wrong with him and not listening to vet, even changed from one vet to a new vet, and told the same re his care and managment. Doesn't understand how his weight and diet is impacting him. I feel awful, I trotted this pony along a road when he should only have been walking. No wonder the owner wanted us to ride him off the yard. I suspect he was buted up to the eyeballs, poor boy.

Still at least this time, it cost me nothing other than a few sleepness nights. I am learning (after having horses for 35 years+) that I may just know more than I realise sometimes and that I should trust my judgement a bit more...... Lesson learned.

Thank you everyone, this forum is such an amazing sounding board for us all - its so helpful to hear the thoughts of other people, all valid and all certainly helped me accept the decision I had made but was still trying to justify.

Leandy

Visit site
Well done! You should have more confidence in yourself. It really is hard to understand how the owner thinks the pony is saleable in this condition. It is easy to feel sorry for the pony but sadly we can't help every animal we feel sorry for and need to accept that they are not our responsibility.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I suppose they knew they had probably lost the sale anyway, either refusing you the info which would have made you walk or you getting the info, which made you walk.
What a relief!

Melody Grey

Visit site
I fully understand why data protection is a thing in most of the cases it applies to, but I (personally) think vet notes should be freely available for this reason, people trying to pass horses off as sound and saleable. My horses all have plenty of vet history which I would disclose in full if I wished to sell. But then I’m honest, painfully so!

SilverLinings

Visit site
I fully understand why data protection is a thing in most of the cases it applies to, but I (personally) think vet notes should be freely available for this reason, people trying to pass horses off as sound and saleable. My horses all have plenty of vet history which I would disclose in full if I wished to sell. But then I’m honest, painfully so!

It's an interesting issue, as GDPR was brought in to protect human individuals' private data, and obviously the vet record is about the animal, and it would be in the best interests of the animal for there to be full disclosure to a prospective new owner. I suppose there is the possibility that some yard bullies would want the information to bully or belittle another horse owner (or challenge their management of said horse).

Maybe it would work if there was a legal requirement to disclose when selling a horse, and the vendor would have to confirm the prospective purchaser's name to the vet so the information was given out to the right person only. Certain steriotypic behaviours already legally have to be declared by the seller, so it could just be an amendment to that law. Mind you, there would still be some unscrupulous persons who would find a way round it!