Upping sticks - moving yard/house/life

croissant

Visit site
I desperately need to move out this year. I've decided to take the plunge and plan to buy a flat near work, to which I currently commute at least an hour 6 days out of 10. Besides all the stress of purchasing a house, I obviously need to consider where my horse will live.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice regarding the order to do things in? At what point do I start seriously looking for a livery yard? Am I likely to have to pounce on a vacancy and pay for an empty stable while I wait for the house purchase to be completed? I need some sort of bespoke livery package as I work shifts and couldn't afford full, so I'm worried that I will get a month away from moving day and there won't be anywhere suitable for Daisy to go!

The whole process of moving my entire life is absolutely mind boggling. It's all a very long way off, at least. How did you do it?!

Rlister89

Visit site
I'm not really sure if it is advice but I have always found that things seem to just work out. I have moved a few times for work/family reasons and have started looking for houses (as renting) and as soon as I see a possibility I start listing the yards near by. My partner thinks I do this before deciding on the house and decide on the house by how nice the yards are but oh well! I have found that it has been easier the last time as Facebook seems to be the go to place to find things but I have never paid a deposit on a yard and are always ready to move horses when we move and I have 2 so it's always harder to find space. Can't say it's not stessful though, I just think it is something that just works out ok because it has to!!
Good luck!

wingedhorse

Visit site
I desperately need to move out this year. I've decided to take the plunge and plan to buy a flat near work, to which I currently commute at least an hour 6 days out of 10. Besides all the stress of purchasing a house, I obviously need to consider where my horse will live.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice regarding the order to do things in? At what point do I start seriously looking for a livery yard? Am I likely to have to pounce on a vacancy and pay for an empty stable while I wait for the house purchase to be completed? I need some sort of bespoke livery package as I work shifts and couldn't afford full, so I'm worried that I will get a month away from moving day and there won't be anywhere suitable for Daisy to go!

The whole process of moving my entire life is absolutely mind boggling. It's all a very long way off, at least. How did you do it?!

I moved my horse first, when had offer accepted, and had gone most of the way through the purchase. Was then part livery. And previous yard was closing, so I moved horse early.

When looking for where to move, once we had narrowed down to an area, I got a local friend of friend to give us a run down on viable yards, enough that I believe that living where we bought was feasible.

I would research yards, and nice horsey areas, and houses at same time. Bearing in mind the horsey areas while house hunting. Once you have offer accepted on house, then I’d look into livery seriously. And get on waiting lists. You might need to wait a bit, but as so dependent on exactly where you live, I’d do house first.

It’s very doable but you need a list of houses and livery yard options.