Upset over lameness

Sossigpoker

Visit site
So my cob had steroid injections into his hocks nearly 2 weeks ago. Today I tried a little trot and he still feels awful. Just off in general rather than specifically lame.
Vet is coming back on Monday and I will ask for ligament scans and something more aggressive for the hocks.
I'm feeling super anxious because there's been little improvement and he just feels off in general.

Unrelatedly, I have an elderly dog who is on borrowed time and a few things going on at work so my mental health is not great right now.

Any words of wisdom ?

Sossigpoker

Visit site
One of ours has had hock injections and it seemed to take some time for him to be happy. It was definitely longer than 2 weeks
Thank you. He doesn't feel right all over and his fetlock areas on the hind legs are fairly filled, which is why I'm so worried.
?

dorsetladette

Visit site
Sending hugs. I'm sure the vet will be able to shed some little on the matter. They are such a worry when they can't tell you what is wrong aren't they.

If it helps my vet said you wouldn't see the full benefit of the steroid for at least 4 weeks. After 2 weeks my lad was still uncomfortable but differently. After a couple of weeks of been able to use his muscles properly without compensating they were all a bit sore. A bit like us running up a steep hill and your thighs hurting when you get to the top.

BBP

Visit site
My only words of wisdom are that time can be a wonderful thing. As a human, how many times do we pick up an injury that niggles and nags on for ages and is hard to get the right treatment for? I certainly have had plenty (right now a busted little ligament in my ankle). My horse I decided he just couldn’t stay sound enough to ride so I retired him in 2020, he’s now looking almost the best I have ever seen him movement wise and I’m considering bringing him back into work as he’s a proper fatty this spring.

Probably no help to you at all but I have found that the secret to a happy life with horses is to expect to never be able to ride them, enjoy the privilege of being their servant, and then any time you can ride it’s a huge bonus! That’s a flippant sounding comment but it’s actually completely true for me. I bought and 18 month old but told myself I may never get to ride him. When he ruptured a tendon a few months later obviously I was worried about him for his own sake, but I didn’t have that gutting disappointment about the future. It’s been the best approach to keeping my mental health ok.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Sending hugs. I'm sure the vet will be able to shed some little on the matter. They are such a worry when they can't tell you what is wrong aren't they.

If it helps my vet said you wouldn't see the full benefit of the steroid for at least 4 weeks. After 2 weeks my lad was still uncomfortable but differently. After a couple of weeks of been able to use his muscles properly without compensating they were all a bit sore. A bit like us running up a steep hill and your thighs hurting when you get to the top.
Thanks. He felt a bit lively on his walk hack today so something might be happening.

SO1

Visit site
I don't want to worry you but steroids can cause laminitis which is why I would not use them on a native or cob but I expect that your vet would have evaluated your case and told you about the risks. Definitely worth getting vet out to check all ok.

I got my NF injected with the gel on Thursday and expect it will take about 6 weeks to start working. Steroids I believe are quicker to work than the gel.

throwawayaccount

Visit site
Thank you. He doesn't feel right all over and his fetlock areas on the hind legs are fairly filled, which is why I'm so worried.
?

very sorry to hear this about your boy :( 2 years ago with my old vet practice, the vet injected my tb x mare with steroids Without explaining the risks and she got lami and cellulitis. :/ hopefully this isn’t the case for you x

Sossigpoker

Visit site
very sorry to hear this about your boy :( 2 years ago with my old vet practice, the vet injected my tb x mare with steroids Without explaining the risks and she got lami and cellulitis. :/ hopefully this isn’t the case for you x
His fetlocks were filled before so i don't think so. Sorry to hear about your horse and laminitis.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I don't want to worry you but steroids can cause laminitis which is why I would not use them on a native or cob but I expect that your vet would have evaluated your case and told you about the risks. Definitely worth getting vet out to check all ok.

I got my NF injected with the gel on Thursday and expect it will take about 6 weeks to start working. Steroids I believe are quicker to work than the gel.
Yeah we discussed it but she said that as he's not over weight and doesn't have a history of it, the risk is quite low.

racebuddy

Visit site
My vets said u should
Never inject Cobs with steroids , mine had steroids injected into his neck i different at all he is now going to have arthamid instead x

Sossigpoker

Visit site
My vets said u should
Never inject Cobs with steroids , mine had steroids injected into his neck i different at all he is now going to have arthamid instead x
I don't believe there needs to be a blanket ban like that. If the horse is over weight or has a history with laminitis then that's a contraindication regardless of breed or type.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Sorry I can't help directly but have you tried cleavers for his filled legs?
Yes and he seem to develop hive like bumps which mostly went away after stopping it. Plus the filling didn't change.
The filling is more like windgall type filling.

But I'm pleased to report that he has slightly improved in the last two days.
He's not quite so short behind although he's still not looking or feeling great , it feels like the stride length has improved (looks better on video of me riding too).
The left one is still worse , that's where the changes are just starting, so will discuss Arthmid with vet tomorrow.

Hopefully this is the beginning of an overall improvement!

Visit site
My horse didnt really respond well to steroid injections but i had GREAT success with IRAP. After a number of unsuccessful steroid injections there was a definite improvement after the first IRAP treatment (we did 3 or 4 in total over a few months and she progressively improved with each one). We also tried this newish product called Regenesis Vet which was not as invasive and also seemed to help

Sossigpoker

Visit site
So the vet came yesterday and thinks there's been progress.
Last time he was lame on flexion on the left hock (early changes) but not on the right (almost fused). Yesterday he was sound on the left and 2/10 lame on the right.
She's pleased with this as it shows that the steroid is helping the left hock.
So I'm riding him again , physio is coming and we're doing carrot stretches every day. The veg hopes that the work will help the right hock fuse (mostly just walking).

I had a little trot out hacking today and tj be honest, he felt great ! The walk feels unlevel still so the trot surprised me .

I'm feeling so much better now and more optimistic . My wonderful yard manager had rehabbed lots of horses and will help me re-build and strengthen him.

Hopefully things will continue to progress well...thank you everyone for your support. I'm a very anxious mother as you can see!