Upset Tummy

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Both ends, probably from the copious amount of horse ooo eaten yesterday ?

Is current thinking starve for 12 (24?) hours? Or feed something bland?

Thanks all (don’t think it’s a vet job).

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would starve and keep well hydrated until the have stopped, then feed small amounts of white fish/chicken and rice, or maybe arrowroot biscuits until the digestive systrem is back to normal

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I tend to keep off food for a bit and then little pieces of boiled chicken. Let that settle and see what happens and slowly increase amount of chicken. This is whilst OH goes into full panic mode.

I also used a probiotic from the vets (but can also buy on viovet) which really helped, although at that point the sickness had stopped and it was just the other end!

SAujla

Visit site
Is she still wanting to eat or would she refuse food whilst she is feeling sick? I was always told bland is best like boiled chicken and rice. Hope things are better soon

Odyssey

Visit site
I starve mine for 24 hours, then give him YuDigest Plus sachets sprinkled on food. They're probiotics, similar to Pro-kolin paste but work out much more economical. When he had the runs last year when you couldn't get rice, I gave him porridge cooked with water, and scrambled eggs. He loved it.

Havital

Visit site
I usually starve for the first day then start feeding plain rice. Then slowly add tinned food to the rice. Once poo is firm again I then move onto normal food.

deb_l222

Visit site
I still starve for 24 hours, although I know there's a school of thought that doesn't particularly agree with this method these days. Tinned Chappie is a good starter food but mine get fed Chappie anyway so I usually start off again on rice or pasta for a couple of days, then back to normal.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Is she still wanting to eat or would she refuse food whilst she is feeling sick? I was always told bland is best like boiled chicken and rice. Hope things are better soon

I offered him a small amount of boiled chicken at lunch time and he just turned away from it. He’s looking rather sorry for himself I must say.

Will pop him to the vet in the morning if there’s no improvement.

Thanks all x

SAujla

Visit site
I offered him a small amount of boiled chicken at lunch time and he just turned away from it. He’s looking rather sorry for himself I must say.

Will pop him to the vet in the morning if there’s no improvement.

Thanks all x
Sorry he! Sounds similar to my pup who refused food and water for a whole day, was continously sick. Eventually took her to vets who gave her anti sickness medication and she ate the next day. I hope it's something like a 24 hour bug, sounds like he'd rather starve for a day as well? Good luck

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Sorry he! Sounds similar to my pup who refused food and water for a whole day, was continously sick. Eventually took her to vets who gave her anti sickness medication and she ate the next day. I hope it's something like a 24 hour bug, sounds like he'd rather starve for a day as well? Good luck

Horse poo ?

SAujla

Visit site
Horse poo ?
Fingers crossed whatever he picked up from it he's flushing it out his system. That pro-kolin is really good you can get it without a prescription but it might be better to help settle his stomach when he's feeling better. He probably wouldn't take it anyway? Does he normally eat horse poo and is fine but this time had too much?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
He eats any kind of poo unfortunately, and I just wasn’t quick enough yesterday to stop him really chowing down on it. He also has a very sensitive tummy generally so it doesn’t help. I’ll order some pro kaolin for next time ???