Upward fixation of the patella

Flash_28

Visit site
I have a foal of 14 months who I have rescued. He has been diagnosed with upward fixation of the patella most likely bought on by the poor condition that he is in. He was also stabled for approx a month between his journey from the previous owner to my yard. This has also most probably not helped with this condition due to the lack of movement. The vet has given me advice on where to go next. But was wondering if anyone else has had a horse with this issue and any guidance for me.

He is now actually eating (didn't know what hard feed was) so is now being fed on Blue Chip, Hifi and Speedibeet 3 times a day to help with his weight. He is also being kept out as much as possible now. I am going to start to teach him how to walk in hand this weekend and start with small walks and build it up.

If there is anything else that I could be doing to benefit him then I would be interested in any advice. Thank you.

dunthing

Visit site
I have no personal experience with our herd but I did work with a mare who locked several times a day. It's often caused, as you say, by lack of muscle/exercise. What you are planning to do with the little one sounds great. I do know that if the leg locks, make the pony go backwards and that should release it. Also, I know that there is an operation available but in one so young, I would be inclined to wait until the pony is older and see if it rights itself. Good luck to you and the pony.

Flash_28

Visit site
I have no personal experience with our herd but I did work with a mare who locked several times a day. It's often caused, as you say, by lack of muscle/exercise. What you are planning to do with the little one sounds great. I do know that if the leg locks, make the pony go backwards and that should release it. Also, I know that there is an operation available but in one so young, I would be inclined to wait until the pony is older and see if it rights itself. Good luck to you and the pony.

Thank you for you nice wishes and words :) Glad that you agree that it's the right way to do things. Don't want to mess things up for him!

I think that Foaly must be quite lucky as his leg has only locked once or twice in the time I have had him and has no issues with picking up back feet or anything. I shall bear the backwards thing in mind though just in case it does happen! The only time it happened in the field he did look quite scared and confused bless him. Although he has already improved greatly since being out most of the time. His field is also on a gentle slope so walking up and down it must be helping him too.

neddymad

Visit site
Hi, our dartmoor pony has locking stifles bought on by a knock. It is much better now she is fit and doesn't really give her much trouble. I do find that if it gets too muddy in the winter it plays up. I found nupafeeds green lipped muscle to be fantastic if feel you need to give something. Good luck with your baby.:)

lillith

Visit site
I had a 4yo fatty mare with locking stifles, she was really bad (just about every day) when I got her but with gently built up exercise it was non-existant in 2 years.

Sounds like you are doing the right thing.

Flash_28

Visit site
Hi, our dartmoor pony has locking stifles bought on by a knock. It is much better now she is fit and doesn't really give her much trouble. I do find that if it gets too muddy in the winter it plays up. I found nupafeeds green lipped muscle to be fantastic if feel you need to give something. Good luck with your baby.:)

Thank you for the muscle supplement. I shall keep that name if I find he doesn't pick up even as the condition and weight come on. Thank you :)

I had a 4yo fatty mare with locking stifles, she was really bad (just about every day) when I got her but with gently built up exercise it was non-existant in 2 years.

Sounds like you are doing the right thing.

Thank you for your help. Its nice to hear from others whose horses are doing so well now :)