Urban foxes

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Well it certainly isn't to catch and then release them into the wild thinking you are being kind as it isn't; it's very cruel as the fox has absolutely no idea how to look after itself when it's been brought up to forage dustbins and the like; you don't find many bins in the countryside! You usually find released foxes either not lasting very long cos they can't cope without human refuse or they become a nuisance and end up chicken killers and then get shot or hunted anyway.
If they are a problem then they should be dealt with like any other pest although I strongly disagree with poison; better to trap and then shoot than that. For those suggesting a humane injection to pts, don't forget these would be very highly stressed by any handling so that would be cruel too.

Sheltie

Visit site
I agree that traping and shooting would be the most humane but try telling that to some antis who want them caught and released i to the country side.

severnmiles

Visit site
I'm anti-hunting, but I'm quite happy for problem foxes to be trapped and shot.

RS

Trapped? How? Humane trap? There's not much humane about any trap, do you think its humane to trap a wild animal in a cage? Remember by law they only have to be checked every 24hours. Ever seen a fox in a cage? I think thats not a particularly nice way of pest control.

flying_change

photobucket.com
Hmmm, wonder why you've not made that same point to Sheltie, K-and-R, and Maesfenhorse, who all mention trapping ?

Anyway... if you dont like the idea of trapping, any other way of dealing with urban foxes that you happen to like is OK with me, as long as you dont make a sport out of it. :)

RS

CARREG

Visit site
Im pro hunting, Ive seen foxes caught in traps that have being trying to escape for a few hours, some will just lay in the trap terrified until someone comes along to shoot it, others will do themselves terrible injuries trying to escape, if I ever need to use live catch traps I can barely sleep, and on occasions have checked them several times through the night...prefering trapping to hunting just shows how ignorant some people are, this isnt a brownie point scoring post, just telling it like it is, Ive personally killed 1000's of foxes over the years and live trapping is to me definatley the most distasteful method, if you're an anti you'll probably disagree, but Im going on experience....not emotion.............Carreg

CARREG

Visit site
Fcuk off!!!!!.....why is it every time I mention killing foxes some arsehole comes on with the "congratulations" jibe, killing foxes isnt hard or clever and I dont brag or big it up...comment on the rest of the post....prick.............Carreg

flying_change

photobucket.com
Well hunting with dogs wouldnt be possible in an urban environment, and shooting would probably be dangerous to the humans in the vicinity, so having told us what you cant do, how about telling us your solution ?

RS

CARREG

Visit site
Where in my post have I mentioned what you cant do, Ive used terriers to bolt foxes into nets from under garden sheds/garages etc on numerous occasions.........Carreg

flying_change

photobucket.com
"Where in my post have I mentioned what you cant do,"

In effect, I read this post from you as saying that traps are bad.....

"Im pro hunting, Ive seen foxes caught in traps that have being trying to escape for a few hours, some will just lay in the trap terrified until someone comes along to shoot it, others will do themselves terrible injuries trying to escape, if I ever need to use live catch traps I can barely sleep, and on occasions have checked them several times through the night...prefering trapping to hunting just shows how ignorant some people are, this isnt a brownie point scoring post, just telling it like it is, Ive personally killed 1000's of foxes over the years and live trapping is to me definatley the most distasteful method, "

"Ive used terriers to bolt foxes into nets from under garden sheds/garages etc on numerous occasions"

So, you're saying that being bolted and netted is less stressful than being trapped? Hmmm.
I also wonder what you do next, talk them to death ?

RS

Hercules

Visit site
''So, you're saying that being bolted and netted is less stressful than being trapped? Hmmm.''

Of course it is. Not only is it less stressful, it is quicker and less painful.

Anyone who suggests otherwise needs to spend some time going cold turkey in The Priory.

suestowford

Visit site
I'd say that netting would be a quicker way of catching & killing a fox than trapping & shooting, simply because the whole thing is over very quickly, therefore it would cause less stress to the animal. Don't know about how painful though, I should imagine that being killed hurts just as much whichever way it happens.

Hercules

Visit site
It depends what design of trap is being used and the size of the said trap in comparison to the species being caught.

Anyone who suggests that trapping is a less stressful, less painful and quicker than bolting/netting, is wired to the moon.

flying_change

photobucket.com
"Anyone who suggests that trapping is a less stressful, less painful and quicker than bolting/netting, is wired to the moon. "

Anyone who suggests anything but does not provide evidence is just stating an opinion.

severnmiles

Visit site
But you are just stating an opinion (as is Labour) when saying foxhunting is cruel(or immoral in your case :smirk:) . Before you provide me with some biased post mortem performed by some anti scientist/vet, I can provide as many that say it is humane.

Sheltie

Visit site
I think I should explain my views better, I was suggesting trapping and shooting due to the particular problems of controlling the urban fox in this case you would have difficulty flushing out a fox with dogs as the fox may be able to escape over a wall to the next garden alley or, street. At least with trapping the trap an be placed close to where the fox was foraging, the fox hunts mostly at night so if the trap is checked first thing in the morning the fox should have been in the trap only a few hours before it is shot. I would not use trapping to control rural foxes as there are other more humane methods such as hunting or flushing out and shooting post ban.

flying_change

photobucket.com
I fully accept that my personal belief about hunting being immoral is a statement of opinion, and I dont know that such things are capable of proof.

Whether it's cruel or not could be measured perhaps by the levels of stress hormones in the hunted fox.

However, to return to the point of this particular thread, it's my opinion that statements made regarding the levels of stress endured by bolted/netted/killed foxes compared to trapped/killed foxes could easily be tested clinically, and until such time as they are I'll continue to regard these statements as just opinion.

RS

CARREG

Visit site
"So, you're saying that being bolted and netted is less stressful than being trapped"....Yes...It takes on average 10-15 mins to bolt a fox into a net and shoot it, a fox in a trap could well be there for 12 hrs

"I also wonder what you do next, talk them to death" ......No I shoot them quickly and humanely..........Carreg

Ereiam_jh

Visit site
"However, to return to the point of this particular thread, it's my opinion that statements made regarding the levels of stress endured by bolted/netted/killed foxes compared to trapped/killed foxes could easily be tested clinically, and until such time as they are I'll continue to regard these statements as just opinion."

Why then hasn't such an objective assesment been made and the law based on that? Isn't it up to those who make the laws to ensure that they are based on facts.