URGENT ADVICE - not allowed to ride horse before vetting???

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
If I have a horse for sale, once it is sold not only would I not allow the purchaser to ride until it has passed the vet, been paid for and the cheque cleared, NO ONE rides the horse. Wrapped in cotton wool until it has left the yard, always.

wingedhorse

Visit site
If I have a horse for sale, once it is sold not only would I not allow the purchaser to ride until it has passed the vet, been paid for and the cheque cleared, NO ONE rides the horse. Wrapped in cotton wool until it has left the yard, always.

I would have thought for an adult horse in full work, potentially having a week of rest before the vetting might make horse stiffer or naughtier for vetting? I'd keep in normal sensible work and take no risks.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site

That's what happened with our little pony Ginny. She was not even allowed turnout! She was a total stress-head when she arrived! But she settled pretty quickly. I can see why no riding is allowed after the sale is agreed but I did think no turn out was taking things a bit far!

ihatework

Visit site
That's what happened with our little pony Ginny. She was not even allowed turnout! She was a total stress-head when she arrived! But she settled pretty quickly. I can see why no riding is allowed after the sale is agreed but I did think no turn out was taking things a bit far!

Yes I’d keep them on their same routine and ticking over in light work.
Keep them calm and level headed for the vetting but also set them up to success when arriving at new home - Last thing a buyer (especially if inexperienced) needs is their new horse bouncing off the walls!

Chuckieee

Visit site
I think that people are viewing horse more often because horse are generally worth more.

In the old days, you could have a reasonable choice of horses priced under £1,500. Today, you'll find next to nothing in that range and the average happy hacker might be £3,000 to £4,000 which is quite a sum for most people. I certainly couldn't afford to lose that sort of money on a one-trip wonder. May be that's why people are asking to try them more times.

AandK

Visit site
I think that people are viewing horse more often because horse are generally worth more.

In the old days, you could have a reasonable choice of horses priced under £1,500. Today, you'll find next to nothing in that range and the average happy hacker might be £3,000 to £4,000 which is quite a sum for most people. I certainly couldn't afford to lose that sort of money on a one-trip wonder. May be that's why people are asking to try them more times.

When is the 'old days' though? £1,500 back in the 80s is probably a lot more than £3-4k in 2018, due to inflation.

Polos

Visit site
When I sold a horse last year I had great issues with the buyers. They tried him twice (rearranged mine and my trainers whole week to fit them in), put deposit down and booked viewing after first viewing. Additionally, I had 2 separate parties wanting to try him which I had to turn away. He passed vetting with flying colours yet they couldn't pay for 2 weeks. Was an incredibly stressful situation as they where demanding to come and ride him again and again until they could pay for him. I explained issues of if he got injured during all this they would not buy him and we'd be stuck with vets bill (horse was only going out in the field daily whilst I was waiting for them to pay.

In future if I was selling a horse I would want the vetting and payment on same day and collection of horse to be done asap after. I understand completely why the seller has said no. Buyers don't realise just how stressful selling is.

Just wait a couple more days then he will be yours to ride whenever! good luck :)

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
When I sold a horse last year I had great issues with the buyers. They tried him twice (rearranged mine and my trainers whole week to fit them in), put deposit down and booked viewing after first viewing. Additionally, I had 2 separate parties wanting to try him which I had to turn away. He passed vetting with flying colours yet they couldn't pay for 2 weeks. Was an incredibly stressful situation as they where demanding to come and ride him again and again until they could pay for him. I explained issues of if he got injured during all this they would not buy him and we'd be stuck with vets bill (horse was only going out in the field daily whilst I was waiting for them to pay.

In future if I was selling a horse I would want the vetting and payment on same day and collection of horse to be done asap after. I understand completely why the seller has said no. Buyers don't realise just how stressful selling is.

Just wait a couple more days then he will be yours to ride whenever! good luck :)

That is really naughty, they should either have told you the money was not available before you accepted the offer or not started looking until they had it, they were lucky you didn't pull out and let him go to someone else, the worst time when selling is after vetting before collection which should be done ASAP, ideally within 24 hours.

Cecile

Visit site

That happened to me many moons ago, the pony was such a beauty but no turnout allowed once I said I would buy her and until vetting/collection. The first time I turned her out after getting her home I couldn't catch her for 2 days..... she was a horror to catch and she had it down to a fine art form, probably through years of practice but still quite beautiful even from a distance :D

Snowfilly

Visit site
That happened to me many moons ago, the pony was such a beauty but no turnout allowed once I said I would buy her and until vetting/collection. The first time I turned her out after getting her home I couldn't catch her for 2 days..... she was a horror to catch and she had it down to a fine art form, probably through years of practice but still quite beautiful even from a distance :D

We're in that predicament at the moment; my baby welsh was meant to go on Sunday but his buyers quite rightly didn't fancy a 9 hour round trip in the snow and I wouldn't have let him travel in it anyway as we were under a no travel unless needed rule. But they can't rearrange for a fortnight and having someone else's horse on the place is really playing on my nerves, especially when he was hurtling around in the snow!

He's not quite three, and he's always lived out so I'm keeping him in that routine wih their agreement.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
We're in that predicament at the moment; my baby welsh was meant to go on Sunday but his buyers quite rightly didn't fancy a 9 hour round trip in the snow and I wouldn't have let him travel in it anyway as we were under a no travel unless needed rule. But they can't rearrange for a fortnight and having someone else's horse on the place is really playing on my nerves, especially when he was hurtling around in the snow!

He's not quite three, and he's always lived out so I'm keeping him in that routine wih their agreement.

I once was arranging a vetting and had a similar issue about not being able to collect the horse straight away. Dealer made it clear that if the horse passed the vet I would be expected to pay in full for the horse and then pay her for livery if I did not collect within a few days. I could see her POV though it would not have occurred to me to do that when I was selling.

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
I really don’t understand the whole trying horses multiple times, you either like the horse or you don’t. If it doesn’t make your heart sing after the first ride then it’s not the horse for you.

I’ve never been to see a horse more than once even when buying for disabled riders or children.
I have to say if I were a seller I’d be miffed at the second viewing (unless 1st viewing was an agent and 2nd the actual purchaser or if some facilities couldn’t be used the first time round) but I would tolerate it however if someone was after a 3rd ride I’d consider them a joy rider with no intention of actually buying.
Any good horse sells easily anyway, if it’s not a horse that is going to sell easily then the likelihood is that it’s probably unsuitable for someone who needs to ride the horse several times before making a decision.

I am with you on this one! If I have to convince myself it is right, then it is wrong. It should be a instant Yes!!! If I like it then that is that...sometimes I have not even ridden them.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It is tricky though, our first purchase (pre internet) we went round the south west and didn't find anything that we felt yes about even though their descriptions should have fitted.
As summer came to an end we ended up purchasing our mare, who was sweet but relatively unsuitable/not what we really wanted on the basis that she improved a lot in the 4 days trial we had her (owner was stuck, couldnt get to the yard and was quite desperate to offload). and that she was pretty and would sell easily again come spring. She's the apple of my Mum's eye for no real reason 14 years later.

A year later we were looking again and I honestly thought the 'spark' was never going to happen and we were just being ridiculous. We very nearly ended up with something that ticked the boxes but really was better suited to someone else. Then someone who had just bought Frank hacked him round our road and I fell in love :D. 3 months later he's started stopping and she considered him dangerous (she was just a bad rider) and we paid over the odds for what he was worth as he stood really.

So one that didn't tick the boxes and didn't have an instant yes and one that did both yet both still much loved and wanted over the last 13/14 years.

But if I buy again I will be waiting for the Yes!!

Michen

Visit site
If!? ��

it is tricky though, our first purchase (pre internet) we went round the south west and didn't find anything that we felt yes about even though their descriptions should have fitted.
As summer came to an end we ended up purchasing our mare, who was sweet but relatively unsuitable/not what we really wanted on the basis that she improved a lot in the 4 days trial we had her (owner was stuck, couldnt get to the yard and was quite desperate to offload). And that she was pretty and would sell easily again come spring. She's the apple of my mum's eye for no real reason 14 years later.

A year later we were looking again and i honestly thought the 'spark' was never going to happen and we were just being ridiculous. We very nearly ended up with something that ticked the boxes but really was better suited to someone else. Then someone who had just bought frank hacked him round our road and i fell in love :d. 3 months later he's started stopping and she considered him dangerous (she was just a bad rider) and we paid over the odds for what he was worth as he stood really.

So one that didn't tick the boxes and didn't have an instant yes and one that did both yet both still much loved and wanted over the last 13/14 years.

But if i buy again i will be waiting for the yes!!

bollybop

Visit site

Id be making sure they have veterinary insurance in place... and that they’ve paid for the horse in full

Chuckieee

Visit site

Yes that does make sense - £1,500 in 1985 is worth £4,300 in 2017! So may be we are just getting very picky, I am not sure.

I can understand that some people, especially if they have had a bad experience, might want a lot more assurances than one viewing.

Last edited:

Snowfilly

Visit site
Id be making sure they have veterinary insurance in place... and that they’ve paid for the horse in full

He is fully paid for and they've opted not to insure as they credit card save which is the same as us. Still worrying though! I'm doing a frantic no snow dance...