urgent advice re mild colic

katymay

Visit site
After a bout of mild colic on saturday I thought we had turned the corner with Harry, but after a couple of hours of turnout this morning he went down hill and had to get him in the stable, I gave him bute and kept an eye on him, two hours later he was nearly back to his old self so I have been giving him regular small amounts of dengie hi fi with a little water which he has been eating fine,
took him out for a really small walk this evening to see if I could get his gut moving, totally on his toes and full of beans which was great, just been down to check on him again and he hasnt had a poo since before lunch today, he seems fine in himself, eating, not rolling or laying down, he even whinnied when he saw me which he has never done before!
when do I need to be really concerned about the lack of poo? is it safe to leave him overnight if he seems okay in himself, the bute has way worn off by now
thanks
kate

rockysmum

Visit site
You need to ring your vet. You cant take chances with colic. If he goes downhill he could be dead by morning.

Sorry, I know thats not what you wanted to hear.

Goldenstar

Visit site
The bute will still be in his system.
I would get the vet you may have an impaction colic
When did you last check him ?

mattilda

Visit site
Call your vet NOW. I have lost 2 horses to colic despite getting the vet out straight away. Never take a chance with your horse. Please call your vet.

katymay

Visit site
have been going down every half an hour, last check literall two minutes before I came on here as he is stabled at home, will ring vet and see what he says, thank you

Goldenstar

Visit site
There's no way I would be leaving mine but then there's no way I would give one of mine bute if they where unwell after turn out all bute is doing is masking the symptoms.i would have had the vet this morning.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Ditto the above, the bute could still be masking symptoms. I would advise you speak to your vet. Did the vet not tell you to keep him/her informed of Harry's condition over the weekend?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I always get the vet if I suspect colic. Mild colic can so soon become extremely serious colic. We've been lucky *touches wood*, we've not lost a horse to colic. I've had one who had no symptoms at all by the time the emergency vet, who was on another call when I rang, got there and that horse and other one who were well on the way to recovery and only need some buscopan and bute to make them more comfortable. But I wouldn't mess about.

TrudyT

New User
Visit site
Call your vet NOW. I have lost 2 horses to colic despite getting the vet out straight away. Never take a chance with your horse. Please call your vet.

I'll second that, I lost my first pony to colic and the vet came out straight away and twice a day for 3 days, day 2 we thought we may have turned a corner but then day 3 left us with no alternative that to put her out of her pain.

Best of luck, I hope everything turns out well for you and your horse.

katymay

Visit site
I rang the vet as soon as his symptoms re-appeared this morning, he said to give him bute and if no better by a couple of hours to ring again, then he said to call the vet on tuesday who treated him on saturday for a plan of action, no follow up appointments made, saturday he had a stomach wash and an internal, all vitals were fine so he wasnt overly concerned, especially since he had a good night and seemed much better the next day.
cant get an answer from emergency vet so must be on a call :(

Mongoose11

Visit site
I would continue to walk him, let him nibble, walk him, let him nibble, walk him. If no poo within the next couple of hours then the vet needs to be there.....

My mare has colicked a fair few times, the worst after being given Atripine by the vet - he said to watch her for an hour after the drug and then she would be fine to leave for the night. I went back up the yard in the morning and I swore she was nearly dead. How she came back from it I'll never know. The morning vet said - we will give her 30 more minutes and if she doesn't respond we will need to think about pts. She waited 20 mins - jumped up, pooed everywhere, grunted a lot, acted drunk and then woke up!!

The less serious times have always meant LOTS of walking until what I call the 'magic' poo.

Walk him and then if no magic poo - get the vet!!!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Keep trying the emergency vet. Keep checking for dropping
Have you listened for gut sounds recently ?

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
You need to ring your vet. You cant take chances with colic. If he goes downhill he could be dead by morning.

Sorry, I know thats not what you wanted to hear.

This /\. I lost my beloved mare to colic, she was fine only a few hours before, and it was sudden and a deadly impaction colic. Not trying to scare you but I would not take a chance

katymay

Visit site
he has got lots of gut sounds and his heartrate is normal,
rang emergency vet who wasnt concerned at all! he said its likely because he had the stomach wash he has emptied out (there was two massive piles in the paddock) then he has been in all day just on small amounts of feed, so its taking its time to build back up, ive got to check on him in a couple of hours, which I wont leave it that long more like every 30 mins then go to sleep for the night, hmm will continue to check on him regularly through the night, then i have to ring the original vet for plan of action tomorrow, ive got the day off tomorrow, luckily my boss is a horsey person so she totally understands,
he said as he sounds like he is bright in himself he should be okay, im hoping he is right, if he starts to go downhill for a second I will demand he comes out,
one of the equestrian vets from the practise lives two doors down from me so wont hesitate to bang on his door if needs be

HappyNeds

Visit site
rang emergency vet who wasnt concerned at all! he said its likely because he had the stomach wash he has emptied out (there was two massive piles in the paddock) then he has been in all day just on small amounts of feed, so its taking its time to build back up, ive got to check on him in a couple of hours, which I wont leave it that long more like every 30 mins then go to sleep for the night, hmm will continue to check on him regularly through the night, then i have to ring the original vet for plan of action tomorrow, ive got the day off tomorrow, luckily my boss is a horsey person so she totally understands,
he said as he sounds like he is bright in himself he should be okay, im hoping he is right, if he starts to go downhill for a second I will demand he comes out,
one of the equestrian vets from the practise lives two doors down from me so wont hesitate to bang on his door if needs be

Thanks for keeping us all updated, I've kept refreshing this page to see what updates you had for us as it sounded worrying, but your post is reassuring. And it must be good to know you've got help very close to hand if needed (your neighbour vet). I hope the next couple of hours bring the 'magic poo'! :)

vetsbestfriend

Visit site
Sorry to hear Harry has had a relapse today. Pleased the vet dosn't think it is an emergency at this stage, but hope if you do need help they will come out asap. Had an emergency trip to horse hospital 2 weeks ago with one of mine suffering a colic attack.

Could be an impaction that is trying to pass from the large colon to the small colon ready to then be expelled. Definately doing the right thing getting him moving and offering small picks of food if he wants to eat. Do you have any Epsom salts that you can put into a small amount of wet food, this will help soften what is in the gut.

Hope he has a settled night but probably would be worthwhile getting the vet to check him tomorrow to have another feel to see if they can see what is going on.

Good luck.

Ebenezer_Scrooge

Visit site
Fingers crossed for pooh!!!! My boy is prone to mild colic and after lots of investigations he was found to have past worm damage in his gut....whenever he now has mild colic I give him quadrisol prescribed from the vet but call them to let them know...if no improvement within 30-45 minutes then my vet comes out....

They are a worry...my first experience of it was my first horse that rolled, layed down all of the extreme symptoms.....got the vet she recovered well. It is scary to see them like that...luckily I can spot the signs in my boy....

Hope he is OK x

Marydoll

Visit site

Glad youve got a plan, if he squeaks the wrong way get your vet:)

missdarcy

Visit site
Agree with getting a vet out, I had a ex-racer who kept getting colic would get it every couple of months as soon as i saw the signs of colic would ring vet straight away they can go downhill so quickly especially if they have had bute as one minute they look ok next they are in terrible pain, Sadly had to have mine pts in the end as to much damage had been done and his body was giving up on him. Fingers Crossed for a speedy recovery and hoping all goes well.

katymay

Visit site
Harry is much better this morning, has done two large piles of droppings and I have turned him out for an hour to see how he goes, im keeping everything crossed we dont get any relapses, thanks for all the advice x

Goldenstar

Visit site
Harry is much better this morning, has done two large piles of droppings and I have turned him out for an hour to see how he goes, im keeping everything crossed we dont get any relapses, thanks for all the advice x

Glad it's looking good .