URGENT fly rug recommendations long sorry but horse now injured due to flies

neddynesbitt

Visit site
Sorry if this has been asked before but I am desperate for some reviews on fly rugs. My poor lad has been plagued by horse flies in the daytime so, I decided to turn him out at night to get away from them (and the sun).

After 6 nights out (in stable in day) I found him very lame in the morning. He has navicular & has strained his sacroiliac joint in the past. All winter he has been playing excessively with his field mates in the deep mud & remained sound but having had the vet out this morning I have been told he has strained his SI again :(

The yard owner said he had been going ballistic at 9pm the night before (his field mate was grazing quietly). I have no idea if it was the midges or horseflies that caused him to go berserk but he is covered in huge lumps from horseflies but, the hair on the front of his back legs was all scuffed up as if he had been frantically kicking at his belly to get rid of midges. Also his sheath is very swollen (no swelling until now).

He does not tolerate box rest so the vet said I can turn him out (ideally in a pen but I can't do that as he will try to jump out....been there seen it done it!!) & said I know him better than her as regards if he goes out in the day or night.

Obviously he is lame & the last thing I want is for him to charge around to get away from the flies so I would like a fly rug which has a really good belly flap.

Any ideas? (the vet checked him 1 month ago & was delighted with how good he looked & declared him 100% sound so I am devastated that this has happened after all he has been through. He spent 10 days in intensive care in January with perotinitis...how much more can this poor horse take?)

mystiandsunny

Visit site
The VERY best rugs, are those designed for sweet-itch. They are designed to keep midges out at all costs, and due to their more durable nature and complete coverage, do a good job with horseflies as well. They range in price from £80 or so upwards, and all have belly flaps etc. I picked one (Rambo version) up second hand the other day for £15 for one of my youngsters.

ETA: our sweet-itch pony has had hers for 5 years now or thereabouts (Rambo one) so a good investment!

wipeout

Visit site
The derby house version is slightly cheaper than the Rambo one. My friend has just bought one for her horse (he has the same problems as yours) and it is doing a great job.

aidybex

Visit site
I bought one of the Derby House silver ones for my boy as since moving him to Wales he's been getting eaten alive. I took the rug off last Friday for a visit from the farrier and there wasn't a fly bite in siight. I was really pleased. It also comes with a free face mask, so great for if he's suffering around the eyes too. I think they're reduced to about £25 + p&p at the moment too,

Good luck, hope he's better soon

jacksmum

Visit site
I have the Rambo fly rug which is really good and i would recommend them but if he is that bad i would look at the sweetitch rugs which cover a lot more.
Expensive but worth it if he is suffering :)

Jane_Lou

Visit site
The Mark Todd ones are brilliant.

It is possible that the reason your horse is going mad around 9pm is that you have summer (or cock) chafers around your fields. They are large (hornet sized) flying bugs that although they don't bite they drive the horses mad, getting stuck in their manes and tails. We have this problem at our yard, they emerge from trees and bushes around 9pm (dusk) and send everything mad for about half an hour when they then seem to go. I am lucky that my fields on the side of the hill are away from them but this is the 3rd year we have had the problem. People now wiat until after dark to turn out in the affected fields as they have gone by then.

Mabel98

Visit site
What a nightmare for you; i second the sweetitch rugs as they cover the horse comprehensively. The Rambo Hoody is the best for coverage IMO

Spottyappy

Visit site
The Rambo sweetitch hoody is fab, and will last.The only prob I have encountered with it, is that for some reason, it rubs my horses' forelocks out.:confused: The hood bit goes over their ears, and rubs- not good as one horse has hardly any forelock anyway!
I also have the Mark Todd fly rug, which is almost as thick as the rambo, and as it doesn;t go over the ears, isn't a prob with forelocks. The Derby house is a good cheap alternative as have one too, but its not as thick material as the other 2, and so horseflies may still be a prob if you are in an area that is suffering huge numbers.

ecrozier

Visit site
I have two now as my mare and youngster are up at my parents place which it totally under seige by horseflies. Youngster wouldn't eat his dinner the day before yesterday because of them - very unlike him! The Mark todd one is good - probably doesn't have quite the coverage of a boett type though as their sheath area and inside hind legs aren't covered? It helps tho. I also just got a weatherbeeta softmesh one which seems good too.

DaisyDoll

Visit site
the silver and red derby house one is EXCELLENT- my pony used to have big swellings all over her belly from being bitten but with this we have had none for the whole year. Wears very well as well- in about 2 years it hasn't suffered any major injuries (touchwood). Think it is probably one of the cheapesr around but don't let this pout you f as it is fantastict value for money and really works just as well as the rambo ones IMO.

guccigivi2001

Visit site
i like the boett rug and snuggy hoods sweetitch hood for rli itchy ponies, or the derbyhouse on elooks good but i would always go rambo/amigo way. a woman at my yard has a ish that sufferes terribly from bites and 2 years ago was in a terrible state, causing himself all sorts of havoc. the vet recommended she put liquid paraffin on him with a cloth, just a quick wipe over every so often as he said it doesnt harm their skin and keeps the flies away a treat. its also cheap as chips from local garage etc, but would ask your vets wiews first as ive always thought it would harm my horses skin or something. worth a shot tho :)