URGENT HELP ABNORMAL FOAL WITH VIDEO & PICS???

lisa_dundee

Visit site
Yes it is Centyfield Cascade, we were totally ripped off with this mare, so you had a lucky escape if you were considering buying her to ride her, but she owes us nothing now and will be with us until she goes to horsey heaven

Alba

Visit site
I have nothing to add other than good luck. I think you are being incredibly strong and if you do have to say goodbye then you will do it knowing you have tried your best for the little beauty.

rachi0

Visit site
Is the foal still quite upright behind?obviously you said she can walk on her hooves now... Have you tried her on either a course of anti- inflammatories or steroids? Bunny hopping is sometimes caused by pain....

I had a foal born couple of years ago that was very contracted on one front fetlock so we put her in a cast... Overnight she was no longer able to move her front leg from the shoulder.. Had no feeling when u pinched or pricked her...when she walked she just dragged the leg... We did physio with her (while still in the cast) - we walked beside her pulling her leg forwards so she could stand on it and she had a few steroid injections and anti inflammatories. When she was ready to come out the cast she still wasnt perfect so continued physio... She is now a racehorse! Took weeks to get right.

It was a low dose dexamethasone that our foal was given.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Beautiful foal, how sad. Like kerilli I'm wondering whether you can move her legs independently when she's down or whether you can pick up one when she's standing.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Oh my goodness that video made me so very sad. OP, please don't take offense . . . that little filly is stunning, but her little back end just looks, well, poorly formed somehow :(. The odd stance on its own is worrying enough, but coupled with the incontinence it points to something fundamental wrong somewhere in her pelvic region and it's either neurological or skeletal . . . or both.

I so hope I'm wrong . . . she's a gorgeous, gorgeous little foal (and her dam is lovely looking too). Please keep us updated on how she is doing.

P

lisa_dundee

Visit site
Our intention was to give her more time but sadly she has weakened and begun dragging her back end round
And we feel this is unfair so have made the heart breaking decision to put her to sleep, thankyou for all your kind comments and input x

HazyXmas

Visit site
So sorry to read this :-( I've been following this post & hoping for good news.

I think that you are doing the right thing for her, poor darling.

Big hugs. Hope that the mare is ok........

kerilli

Visit site
So very sad to hear this but you are doing absolutely the right thing, you know that. Huge condolences. I hope you can maybe find a foster foal for the mare to make some good come from this heartbreaking situation.
Run free up there, little one.

sallyf

Visit site
You have been incredibly brave in making what i'm sure is the right decision.
Good on you for giving her the chance and knowing the right time to let go.

meesha

Visit site
So sorry you are going through this but you are doing your best for the little girl by letting her go, hope you are ok x

Slave2Magic

Visit site
So sorry to read that your little girl wasn't getting any better. I have no doubt that you have made the right decission and done what is in her best interests. Sleep tight beautiful baby.xx

angrovestud

Visit site
You must be feeling terrible I was in the same situation as you with having to PTS a baby,a year ago, I am so sorry for your loss, but you had to be strong to help her, my thoughts are with right now and I hope you enjoy in time the memories that shes left you with it will get better I promise (((Hugs)))