urgent: Nose bleeds

Bananarama

Visit site
Just been phoned to say that one of our horses is having a nose bleed. I know it can be heamorrage and such but is it always bad. The horse has not just been exercised.

oofadoofa

www.mearecourtequestrian.co.uk
I have an ex racehorse who bleeds fairly often in the stable, not usually when exercised. He has been scoped and they can find nothing wrong - but he's been doing this for more than 10 years so there can't be too much wrong with him.

How much blood is your horse losing?

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
You've probably left now but anyway...

Horses can rupture small vessels in their airways which cause bleeds. These can be relatively heavy, but the colour of the blood will be a bright red. This can happen from hard exercise, running round in the field, bashing their heads on random objects and so on.

Bleeding should subside relatively fast and shouldnt start again.

Blood that is a deep red can be indicative of a deeper source and should be investigated as an urgent problem.

emma_lg

Visit site
My tb has had a couple of little nosebleeds...and whilst initially I was rather disturbed...they stopped pretty quickly and no reason found. They were very slight tho...not pouring out by any means...but she hadn't been exercised or out in the field beforehand but had been dozing in her stable.

sallypops

Visit site
abby had a nose bleed a couple of weeks ago, just one nostril, and it wasn't masses of blood phoned vet and she said not to panic went to check her later in the night and nose bleed was gone and her nose was clear
smile.gif

hope its nothin serious

kerilli

Visit site
it can be caused by small polyps in the airway, isn't significant at all. there is a huge difference between a haemorrage and a normal nose bleed, obviously.
really hope it's just a minor one. please let us know.
when i was a kid i met Red Rum at a show, he was there for a "celebrity appearance" and i hung around till everyone else went, and got to fuss him and chat with his lad for ages.
smile.gif
Rummy had a little nosebleed then, i got really worried and the lad said he had them fairly often, but they were tiny and meant nothing...