URGENT! School training for box walking yearling

EllBranflakes

New User
Visit site
i have a 19 month old gelding during summer i had him on a massive routine but winter is alot trickier so i need a schooling routing for him to help him burn off his energy and stress as he is box walking and getting very bad mannered, i have a schedule for during the holidays but i need one that will take 1 hour-1h 30 mins for when i return to school im desperate as ive had suggestions to sell him which i refuse to do unless it is direly needed ill even move yards first as this is my baby boy and i love him so much he is the only thing that keeps me sane we have an outdoor school so free schooling is out of the question (hes already ran through the fence twice) but ANYTHING will help im desperate to make sure my baby boy is fit and healthy

honetpot

Visit site
If you ‘school’ he will get more bad mannered and stressed, you are essentially keeping the equivalent of a young child in is bedroom on its own with no tv and PlayStation. Find somewhere else.
My youngsters have a thrash paddock in winter, its wet muddy, they play fight and eat, it’s about half an acre. When I get something like yours it’s turned out with an older pony to teach it manners. It then gets put in with the rest. I have a huge IDx colt that lives quite happily being bossed by a pony. When he comes in the stable it a treat not something to get stressed about.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
You can't school a yearling he needs to live like a young horse which means as much turnout as possible, move yards to accommodate his needs if your not willing to do this sell the poor thing.

ihatework

Visit site
Is this a wind up?
Move your horse to somewhere he can be out 24/7 with mates his age or sell him before you ruin him

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Baby horses need company, other horses to keep them company.

If he really is you everything, baby, love of your life, whatever, then give him what HE needs rather than what you want to give him. Maybe a stud could accommodate him for you until he is older?

IMO loose schooling a yearling will make him lame, notwithstanding that he has already injured himself doing this, and it does not give him what he needs.

Does he get any turnout with others at all?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
not an option as farm owner wont allow it i need a schooling routine

Move him. Your setup is not suitable for a horse of that age. If you want to teach him to box walk forever, you are doing it the right way. He is not box walking to work off energy, he is box walking because he is unhappy.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Just to add to what everyone else has said. Young horses need to be out 24/7 with others of their own age and at least one older mare to keep them in order. If your current yard can't won't allow that, move him. A stud would be the best place for him.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I really hope that this is a troll post too, but sadly inexperienced people do buy youngsters and keep them on unsuitable yards. :( Some will take advice and do what's right for the horse and some won't.

I don't know if anyone else has found that the more you get gushing talk about how much they love the animal, the less pragmatic they are? I don't know if it's because they believe that love will overcome everything, or because they live in cloud cuckoo land but either way the horse suffers because they don't change things to benefit the horse.

I can't help but wonder what the 'massive routine' from the summer was, but at the same time I'm not sure that I actually want to know. Poor thing has already run through a fence twice as it is.

OP you have had some good advice. Either move this youngster to a more suitable yard (ideally turned out 24/7 with other youngstock and an older 'nanny') or sell to someone who will keep him somewhere appropriate.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
agree, move him to 24/7 turnout with others of similar age, if you dont want to do that the only other option is to sell as he is obviously not happy where he is.

Denbob

Visit site
Another to add to this, before I bought mine he was kept away from others from the age of 2, backed at an early 3 and ridden away as well as loose schooled although I don't know the extent. It has taken well over a year of herd turnout to encourage 'normal' horsey behaviour in a group and that's before I even begin to go off on my rant about the state of his back when I bought him. His owner loved him too, unfortunately she decided that it was more important he fitted her routine than do what was best for him.

As a result he was (and still is to an extent) insecure, clingy and incredibly lonely with zero ground manners or awareness of personal space because he'd never had a herd to teach him how to act like a normal horse. I believe this, admittedly among other factors as well, is responsible (directly or indirectly) for his issues hacking alone and being separated from other horses. If you keep him there and overwork him you will have a multitude of issues on your hands, adding to what sounds like an extremely stressed horse.

Good luck.

Theocat

Visit site
He is not "bad mannered" - he is extremely stressed and very unhappy. Horses do not boxwalk for fun: they do it because they are anxious and stressed.

You are already in that time of "dire need". You need to find somewhere else where he can be out 24/7 with horses of a similar age, or you need to sell him as soon as possible to someone who can provide that.

You have said you will move yards if you need to. You do need to. Do it as soon as possible for the horse's sake.