URGENT. Transmit?

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Potentially stupid question here but I have ringworm (cause as yet unknown, no signs of it on my horse).

Can it be transmitted from human to horse? As I know that it can from horse to human, and I do not need any more vets bills!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Yes. Anything or one to anything or one I'm afraid (ie you or the horse can catch it from a fence post never mind anyone with it).

The signs in horses can be very subtle by the way. I had it in the cattle one year and they were absolutely covered in it. The 6 horses who were in the same field had from 1 small lesion for 3 weeks, to a tiny thing on a nose which dropped off in a few days to absolutely no symptoms at all.

jrp204

Visit site
Yes potentially, you can treat it with most anti fungals (athletes foot cream etc, just check the label), whack the cream on and cover it when around your horse. (OH, has just managed to pick it up too! first time ever)

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Oh god! Would wearing gloves when I go down help? Or would you advise putting him on full livery for a few days? Also do you think it's worth putting a message on the yard page to warn everyone else?

Equi

Visit site
Ive always thought it was quite easy to transfer from anything. Rugs, brushes...etc etc.

I think you have a busy disinfecting week ahead! I hope its not too irritating / painful :(

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Unless you have contact with other likely candidates for infecting you, I should think you've caught it from the yard / your horse.

You need to keep the patches covered up when there and disposable gloves are a good idea.

It doesn't like sunlight so exposing it to the elements when you aren't there, is a good plan.

Hate to say it but the rest of your family are at risk of catching it from you too.

jewel

Visit site
yes your horse can catch it but as soon as you start treating it there is very little risk of that happening. We keep guinea pig that are really prone to it and my daughter has caught it off them a few times, as she is the main one to handle them. It is simple to treat with an cansten or the same

Orca

Visit site
It is indeed contagious, so a sign to at least to remind of good hygiene would probably be a good idea. There's no reason why it can't be contained, if everyone's careful. Wearing disposable gloves would be a good place to start.

Orca

Visit site
yes you can get it, it isnt dangerous!!

It isn't dangerous but I know a horse currently, who has significant fur loss from it, who also then suffered an auto-immune response, so each patch also came up in a big wheal. He's now under the vet. Contamination is definitely best avoided.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Many things aren't dangerous doesn't mean you want the intense discomfort of suffering them if you can avoid it!

Tell me about it! It's not comfortable. Will proceed with gloves and pop a message on the yard page. Will also check my horse from top to toe! (hoof?)

Happy mothers day mum, have some ringworm! :D

Thank you for your help everyone.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
In all my horses it was face only yet the cattle were covered from head to toe. I'd start at the face if I were you. Poor you. You have my sympathy. My greatest fear was having to tell my mother followed by school if Daughter had it but luckily we both avoided it (touch wood, but not a ringwormy bit of wood, obv!).

Dry Rot

Visit site
In all my horses it was face only yet the cattle were covered from head to toe. I'd start at the face if I were you. Poor you. You have my sympathy. My greatest fear was having to tell my mother followed by school if Daughter had it but luckily we both avoided it (touch wood, but not a ringwormy bit of wood, obv!).

Yes, I was thinking of calves housed over winter coming out in the spring wih bald patches. Was that ring worm? Can't recall doing anything about it, it just cleared up on it's own when exposed to sunlight. But then I was just the farm student and they probably wouldn't have told me anyway! Do I remember correctly?

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Yes, I was thinking of calves housed over winter coming out in the spring wih bald patches. Was that ring worm? Can't recall doing anything about it, it just cleared up on it's own when exposed to sunlight. But then I was just the farm student and they probably wouldn't have told me anyway! Do I remember correctly?

Yes its a winter problem usually but the heifer who caused the infection in my herd wandered around June and came back with it. It didn't look like typical RW at the time and the vet thought it was warts. None of the other cattle were affected (despite the fact she jumped straight back in beside them out of quarantine) for many months. Come winter, they all had symptoms and it rumbled on all winter. It's a balance between whether it's bothering them much and if the treatment will cause more stress than the RW.

You can treat horses with an anti fungal spray from the vets which I did. I didn't treat the cattle as per vet advice but I probably would if it happened again.

There are other things which cause bald spots too of course like lice which also usually resolve in the summer / on turn out.

Casey76

Visit site
Erk, I got ringworm last year - one perfect ring about as bit as a 10p piece on my thigh and it took months for it to go away, treating 2x daily with antifungal cream. Even now, almost 6 months later I still have a hyperpigmented circle on my thigh which doesn't look great at all.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
It's highly contagious but some people and animals are more immune than others. My vet has had it three times. I have not. Touch wood.

Agree- * touch wood I appear quite immune. The yard I work at had a massive ongoing case throughout the whole yard for ages. Lucky old me got to do much of the treating and never caught it.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Op, out of interest- sorry if you've said and I've missed it but has it been confirmed?
Just that I've suffered for years on and off with discoid eczema which can look very similar. I get it if I let my diet go to pot for some reason

wench

Visit site
My grandad got ring worm which he thought he'd treat himself with some stuff he had for his cows. The doctor was not best impressed and said he could have killed himself!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Op, out of interest- sorry if you've said and I've missed it but has it been confirmed?
Just that I've suffered for years on and off with discoid eczema which can look very similar. I get it if I let my diet go to pot for some reason

That's a good point I also have eczema which can look disturbingly like ringworm!

Orca

Visit site
The herald spot of Pityriasis Rosea (a virus) can also resemble ringworm. I know this because I was being treated for ringworm which turned out not to be ringworm. It fooled the GP!