Urgh - selling a trailer shouldn't be this hard

JulesRules

Visit site
Surely selling a trailer should be pretty straightforward?

I bought a cheap older ifor from a friend in the spring as my lorry needed some work doing and I didn't want to be out of action all summer.

It's an older ifor 505 that had been stood a while so I had it professsionaly inspected before buying and the report confirmed that the genuine ifor aluminium floor, the panels, ramps, brakes etc were all sound and safe. I replaced the tyres all round plus fixed the lights and replaced the breakaway cable and used it over the summer.

Anyway, with the lorry back on the road I have the trailer advertised on Facebook, eBay and Preloved at a decent price for an older trailer that is safe and ready to be used and comparable to those in a similar condition/ quality.

I've had a couple of silly offers on eBay and a friend who was intetested but actually couldn't afford it. Other than that I'm having messages every couple of days along the lines of " hi, I'm interested in your trailer. Please can I view".

I then reply, but never hear off them again.

This has been going on for weeks. I know I only need one buyer and I remember last time I sold a trailer it took a while and then someone just came and viewed, paid and took it no bother, but I'm getting bored of mysterious vanishing buyers now. 🙁

I might go and stick ads in my local tack shop, but where do other people advertise trailers? What am i doing wrong?

Leo Walker

Visit site
It depends what you call a decent price. I've been shocked at how little the older ones are going for. I just paid the same for an old Rice that needs a fair amount of work, as i would have paid for an older Ifor. Have a look on ebay and you will get a good idea for the prices they are actually selling for. I've seen loads pop up for £500 that need a bit of work on them, and £800 to £1000 for an older but in reasonable condition one.

I'm not sure what the issue with them is, other than the market is fairly buoyant for old Rices as people want to convert them to catering vans, whereas they dont seem to do that with Ifors. A lot depends where you are as well. I got mine for about £500 less than I budgeted for as it was in Wales. Cost me £60 in fuel and about 5 hours of my time, but I decided it was worth it to me to travel. Lots of people dont want to.

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
I gave up trying to sell my trailer. So many Facebook marketplace 'is this still available' queries, silly offers, people that asked loads of questions then were never heard from again........decided that it was easier to keep it and take it for a pootle around the lanes occasionally so stop it from rusting up.

Abi90

Visit site
Someone offered me £1000 for a pristine HB403 that had brand new tyres, brakes and a full service history! I said no

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
We’ve just bought a car to tow and have started looking at trailers. As @asmp said I’m hoping to get a bargain as it’s the end of summer (assuming pricing works like horses). We’re looking at Ifor Williams 505 and there are lots. Prices seem to vary on where you are. The car doesn’t arrive until next week so haven’t done more than look on eBay, preloved and Facebook horse groups.

honetpot

Visit site
I think there are less people towing. I think they have not a lot of money they are usually younger, then they may have to pay to store it. Hiring may work out better value if you are not going out often.

Louby

Visit site
I do think the market will be slowing down slightly now but I think it all comes down to price and location. I recently sold my older lorry to the first viewer, the day after I advertised, I was innundated with interest. I actually think it was a bit cheap but my horse is injured, it was stood doing nothing and I needed it gone. I have seen a trailer I would love to buy, Im a bit suprised its still for sale tbh, it is priced competitively, local and Im sitting on my hands as I dont need transport atm.

Visit site
Can sympathise- selling our old rice was absolute hell! Lots of dreamers, time wasters and will say of Preloved I've had some downright creeps message (or at least that's how they come across). Didn't get that even selling on FB although trailer ultimately went to someone off there who wanted it as a cheap shelter for his sheep!

Malibu_Stacy

Visit site
I think there are less people towing. I think they have not a lot of money they are usually younger, then they may have to pay to store it. Hiring may work out better value if you are not going out often.
I think less people towing has more to do with having to take the B+E test if you got your license post 1997, if only as it adds an extra £500-£1000 to your initial outlay.

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
Yikes, I’ve just advertised my 505 😖 I won’t take less than £1700 for it, suppose I’ll just store it and hang out

maisie06

Visit site
Yikes, I’ve just advertised my 505 😖 I won’t take less than £1700 for it, suppose I’ll just store it and hang out

I have my 505 still sitting on a farm on hardstanding luckily- like you I would rather hang onto it than give it away for next to nothing, ATM it's proving handy for some storage space!!

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
I have my 505 still sitting on a farm on hardstanding luckily- like you I would rather hang onto it than give it away for next to nothing, ATM it's proving handy for some storage space!!

Lol, I’m using mine for tip runs at the moment 😂 proving quite useful in getting the house decluttered and decorated!!

JulesRules

Visit site
Unfortunately I really need to sell mine as OH leant me the money to buy it so I didn't miss the summer. I'm only trying to get my money back on it and there are £300 of brand new tyres on it so I'm just not prepared to give it away for less than it's worth.
I've based the value on what others on eBay etc are priced at. There are cheaper ones but they need work or stuff sorting.

JulesRules

Visit site
How old is old?
I'm not sure of the exact year, but it's 20 - 25 years old. It's got a proper IW Alu plank floor though so that won't ever need replacing plus it's just had nearly £300 of brand new tyres on it. It also comes with a recent report from a pro confirming that the brakes were stripped and checked, panels and ramps solid etc.
There are a lot of newer ones out there in a lot worse condition to be fair.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'm not sure of the exact year, but it's 20 - 25 years old. It's got a proper IW Alu plank floor though so that won't ever need replacing plus it's just had nearly £300 of brand new tyres on it. It also comes with a recent report from a pro confirming that the brakes were stripped and checked, panels and ramps solid etc.
There are a lot of newer ones out there in a lot worse condition to be fair.

You know that, but other people dont. Mines about the same age and needs work doing. I bought it deliberately, rather than one in better condition, as I'd much rather rip it all to pieces and redo it. That way I know its safe.

Not everyone thinks that though, so I'm surprised its not sold if its in line with ebay prices. I've been looking for the last month and seen every trailer ebay has had to offer and they do sell if you price them right.